Aberdeen V Villarreal Match Thread

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a whole i thought we looked ok tonight. Keeper looked good not much chance with goal. CB's looked good but got pulled out of position a few time but i would say it was more to do with the quality of Villareal. Foster and Jack put in good shifts. Osbourn is a tank can see him picking up a few booking this season but looked good. I think Milsom was great. Pawlet and Robertson played well. Vernon looks like he has found some speed but didnt do to much and Mackie was Mackie a couple of good runs should have done better with the header but the open goal wasnt an easy chance.

Reasonable turnout and applause for the lad so that was the first positive.

Thought we matched them throughout with Pawlett looking excellent. Really hope he stays fit this season.

Gonzalez, Mawene and Osbourne were all impressive. Osbourne seems like a better, more solid Folly. Crunched one of their midfielders with a hard but fair challenge, getting the fans on their feet.

The team looks like it may just gradually be coming together.

Shocking crowd.

Shocking, in the sense that so many turned up to swell his not very hard earned pension fund.

Hope you all think of Darren sitting in his solar powered hot tub as you're all reaching for another shawl 'cause you're struggling to pay yer 'leccy bill.

after all the costs involved he won't really have that much.

Mate was at the game, and he hasn't been for a while. Thought Mawene looked slow to begin with in first half, but was impressed with him as game progressed.

Who was number 8? (? Milsom, as Redweb still says it's Hartley!!) ... he said he was very good, and Foster looked sharp.

The only other thing he said in texts was that Mackie missed an open goal, as has been mentioned several times already!

Pawlett was one of our best players I'd say, when he had the chance to take on the right back he'd try it and do it most of the time. That was my first pre season game and he looks to have bulked up alot since the end of last season.

It was good to see everyone cheering Mackie.

The only player for me that didn't do ok was Paton. Megginson is a much better right mid.

Shocking crowd.

Shocking, in the sense that so many turned up to swell his not very hard earned pension fund.

Hope you all think of Darren sitting in his solar powered hot tub as you're all reaching for another shawl 'cause you're struggling to pay yer 'leccy bill.

So if your lad makes it but the aint a fans favourite you gonna tell him not to sign a contract he is offered?

Good turnout I felt for mackie & there was a good applause for when he was subbed.

Villareal were always going to have the better of the match and I was pleased with the limited amount of good chances they had. Gonzalez could do nothing about the goal as it was a great finish by Rossi.

Pawlett had a great moment in the game where he skipped past 3 players when cutting in and looked impressive. Mawene was composed on the ball and made good challenges. I felt Nicky Low put in a good few crosses aswell.

Pawlett was one of our best players I'd say, when he had the chance to take on the right back he'd try it and do it most of the time. That was my first pre season game and he looks to have bulked up alot since the end of last season.

It was good to see everyone cheering Mackie.

The only player for me that didn't do ok was Paton. Megginson is a much better right mid.

Agreed on Pawlett and Paton. Think the latter should be loaned out to a first or second division side til the end of his contract. He offers very little wherever and whenever he's played.

Foster's passing's still pretty woeful but he'll be a very solid option as a full back. Tried to get forward as much as possible and defended calmly throughout.

Milsom was superb. Never realised he passed that well.

Not as encouraged as some others seem to be. Not keen on the formation for a start but it was encouraging we tried to play football and played only two or three long balls the whole game (including the goalkicks which were mostly played to defenders)

Gonzalez - seems fine but not really tested. Jury out.

Jack - did well imo and now a shout to start on saturday at rb, rwb or rm.

Foster - looks good, looked composed. Very hopeful for improvement here.

Mawene - very slow but very good chuffed with him

Considine - did ok

Robertson - looked better as game went on but not keen on him. Think needs more time before first team. Feel jack, pawlett, megginson are maybe a season ahead of him. Hope to be proved wrong.

Milsom - looks fitter, looks the same tidy player as last season but sometimes needs to move the ball quicker. Encouraged with him tho.

Osbourne - was not impressed at all. Really hope it was a combination of villarreal being too quick and him nae being match fit but if I had to nail ma colours to a mast tonight I'd say he's going to be a dud. Hope proves me wrong.

Pawlett - very encouraging he is ready to start the next few games whereas before tonight I was assuming he's a sub. Why always on the left under brown though? He's a right pegger.

Vernon - very quiet

Mackie - looks better this season than last two season starts. Missed a hatful of chances as ever tho lol but if he bags it on sat then that's all good.

Subs - paton meh. Megginson encouraging. Magennis fought well. Others not much. Grimmer still not ready for first team.

I'm nae all that encouraged and hope 1) fyvie arnason and clark make a big difference to the team on saturday. 2) we get mcardle folly and langfield fit asap as the bench looks woeful and 3) we need to sign maybe 4 more guys AND replace any that leave

Not much happened in that 90 mins to be honest. Gonzalez made couple of good saves and no chance with goal.

Mawene slower than David Weir but got the football brain and a great touch and after surviving an early red card (would have been red for hauling forward back in competitive game) i thought probably our best player. Pawlett and Milsom the others worth a mention. Serious lack of width glaringly obvious tonight.