Vernon And Mackie?

I thought Vernon and Mackie were abysmal on Tuesday particularly Vernon. Neither has good link up play and think we'll struggle big time if they are going to be our strike force this season. I would rather see Magennis given a chance, I like this guy and I think he's very underrated.

Anyone else agree or are we all deluded that everything is going to be hunky dory with Vernon and Mackie up front together?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Vernon and Mackie were abysmal on Tuesday particularly Vernon. Neither has good link up play and think we'll struggle big time if they are going to be our strike force this season. I would rather see Magennis given a chance, I like this guy and I think he's very underrated.

Anyone else agree or are we all deluded that everything is going to be hunky dory with Vernon and Mackie up front together?

Id play Mag also, I think he works his socks off, strong, quick....Id prefer him to partner Vernon

Would agree re: Vernon on Tuesday - was rotten - however, a meaningless game, and can only be judged in compteitive games IMO.

Looks like it could be V & M up top - im more worried about the lack of service they are going to receive from out wide. If we dont create we dont score!

Vernon was by far the poorest player on the pitch on Tuesday and it didn't really work but I still think they're worth a chance. However, I was impressed by Megginson and Magennis when they came on and I think they could play an important part this season.

It will be interesting this year. Last year, when Vernon and Maguire worked as a partnership, they looked a good combo. When either had an off day or was missing, then the other didn't function as well. Will be interesting to see what kind of service Vernon will have this season. Since we seem to be working towards a shorter passing game compared to last season, it doesn't look like Vernon will be looking to receive as many long balls, which should hopefully have him looking goalwards more often this year.

Not ideal and hopefully we'll bring in a good striking option soon.

However I am backing Mackie as first scorer on Saturday. He got into four or five good positions on Tuesday but didna manage to score fitba is a funny old game and he'll maybe score 1/1 opportunities on saturday.

I am the only one who thinks meggennis is rotten?! hes just a lump who puts himself about, with no composure what so ever. he fits into the mould of an athlete that people tried to make into a footballer. I watched him at st johnstone last year and saw more from vernon in the 15 minutes he got at the end than i saw from meggennis in the 75 that he had.

I wouldn't quite go as far as rotten, but he is not the most technically able footballer I have ever seen. I think he has his uses, someone to get in about big bullying defenders, something that not many of our other strikers deal with too well. Never going to be a first choice here, but not to say that he can't offer anything.

I am the only one who thinks meggennis is rotten?! hes just a lump who puts himself about, with no composure what so ever. he fits into the mould of an athlete that people tried to make into a footballer. I watched him at st johnstone last year and saw more from vernon in the 15 minutes he got at the end than i saw from meggennis in the 75 that he had.

Magennis never seems to look that good when he starts games and is still very much a raw talent.

I will say though that he is a great impact sub and that his physicality and work rate can be a major asset in the right circumstances.

RE the OP.

Not deluded, but if you think that Maggenis would be a better option than Vernon then you're the deluded one.

Magennis hasn't got it I'm afraid.

I'd have sold him if I could have.

I'd like to see Megginson given more of s chance than Megennis.

Yeah Megennis is ok for late in games when players tiring & he can get on & muscle them about a bit (much like Mackie) in fact that's about all he's good for unless he somehow has found some footballing abilities in close season?

The ball just doesn't stick with Vernon and Mackie up front, Magennis is far better at holding it up and he offers far more of a physical threat. Look Vernon can obviously grab goals but he needs the right service. I just don't see Vernon and Mackie working as a partnership.

Could not believe how bad Vernon looked on Tuesday, poor touch, poor control and he looked unfit!!! Horrible, horrible performance.

If they play up front against St Johnstone and give us a similar performance we are looking at a 0-0 draw lads.

You are by no means alone in thinking Magennis is not a footballer.

He would be laughed off the park in a more serious footballing nation, his approach is agricultural in the extreme.

He's decent as a sub, when defenders dinna have the energy to deal with him, but to say he should be preferred to Vernon is just wrong, at least Vernon can lay claim to some skill on the ball.

The ball just doesn't stick with Vernon and Mackie up front, Magennis is far better at holding it up and he offers far more of a physical threat. Look Vernon can obviously grab goals but he needs the right service. I just don't see Vernon and Mackie working as a partnership.

Could not believe how bad Vernon looked on Tuesday, poor touch, poor control and he looked unfit!!! Horrible, horrible performance.

If they play up front against St Johnstone and give us a similar performance we are looking at a 0-0 draw lads.

I didn't see the game on Tue but I'd guess that Vernon (& others) were all pulled aside & asked to help make it Mackies night & try to feed him every chance they had :dontknow: not a good game to judge players on IMO.

Vernon has proved given service he's got the eye for goal (hopefully all 14? weren't flukes)

how often have you seen megennis? the boy has a terrible touch! nothing sticks with him. vernon is far better at holding the ball up and laying it off than anyone else in our squad.

it shows how far we have fallen when fans are wanting a player of megennis' ability to start for us. and yes I do appreciate that he is up against mackie as his competition. How i dream of days when we had the likes of jess, booth dodds and shearer...

a combination of any of, either, mackie, vernon, paton and magennis is about as woeful and unexciting as it gets. our strike force will be about as dangerous as a sunday afternoon in bed reading a book. need to add something or else we're in for a s*it load of 0-0's this season.

a combination of any of, either, mackie, vernon, paton and magennis is about as woeful and unexciting as it gets. our strike force will be about as dangerous as a sunday afternoon in bed reading a book. need to add something or else we're in for a s*it load of 0-0's this season.

Amidst your utter gloom, you are aware Vernon scored 16 goals last season?