Youth Culture

Betty Swallicks

Does any sort of Youth Culture still exist in these X Factor, Big Brother, Metro Sexual, Facebook times?

I'm not sure any do exist to any real extent and don't think we'll see the likes of the youth movements of the past ever again.

Fits folks thoughts and tell us fit you were back in "your day" be it Mod, Rocker, Biker, Punk, Casual, Goth, Raver etc.

Give a low down why you joined your certain "group" and the clothes, music and things you got up to.

Personally I was too young for the Mod and The Northern Soul scene but really liked the music and fashions. This scene evolved into the early Casual stuff. It seemed at that time that about half of the lads my age (early/mid teens in the early/mid 80's) were dressing Casual and going to Pittodrie. These were great times to be a teenager in Aberdeen!!! The city was buzzing with the still new Oil Industry, AFC were winning titles and cups domestically and in Europe and we were the front runners (nae much running tho ;) ) in the new Casual Scene in Scotland.

Great times!!!

:)

So folks, what was your cup of tea?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any sort of Youth Culture still exist in these X Factor, Big Brother, Metro Sexual, Facebook times?

I'm not sure any do exist to any real extent and don't think we'll see the likes of the youth movements of the past ever again.

Aye they do. It is just you don't see them. EMO, goth, twee, ned could all be classed as youth cultures or tribes.

Eh grew up in Canada in the 80s and there were three distinct groups:

New Wave: Usually kids wi British parents. All in to New Order, Depeche Mode etc.

Funk: The black kids

Stoners: My group, all the kids that were big in to Ozzy etc.

There were of course then the leftovers, your band geeks, and other social rejects.

I think your lot would of been my 3rd choice.

Far prefer New Order and a bit o funk to hivvy metal.

I'm from the pacman generation. chasing wee pills while listening to repetitive electronic music in the peli, hoochi and later bar 52 and de niro's was the name of the game.

Catching the geezer on a Friday down the peli (if he was actually booked and if he then turned up) before hands in the air at lovechild on a sunday. Definitely a buzzing time in Aberdeen...

I'm from the pacman generation. chasing wee pills while listening to repetitive electronic music in the peli, hoochi and later bar 52 and de niro's was the name of the game.

Catching the geezer on a Friday down the peli (if he was actually booked and if he then turned up) before hands in the air at lovechild on a sunday. Definitely a buzzing time in Aberdeen...

Circa 1990 I'd guess.

Cost of one of those wee pills in there was mental in those days.

Fits folks thoughts and tell us fit you were back in "your day" be it Mod, Rocker, Biker, Punk, Casual, Goth, Raver etc.

Give a low down why you joined your certain "group" and the clothes, music and things you got up to.

Personally I was too young for the Mod and The Northern Soul scene but really liked the music and fashions. This scene evolved into the early Casual stuff. It seemed at that time that about half of the lads my age (early/mid teens in the early/mid 80's) were dressing Casual and going to Pittodrie. These were great times to be a teenager in Aberdeen!!! The city was buzzing with the still new Oil Industry, AFC were winning titles and cups domestically and in Europe and we were the front runners (nae much running tho ;) ) in the new Casual Scene in Scotland.

Great times!!!

:)

So folks, what was your cup of tea?

That is more or less my MO as well although went from Punk to Moddish to Indie in my early teens, then I bought a Pringle jumper and white trainers

I cannot currently see any identifiable youth group which is not to say there ain't one , they mebbe only appear if necessitated by the society at the time.....or by marketing people.

I identify with the baby boomers and all that '60s stuff.....nae much money but plenty of good times( and bad actually ) ; it was a time when a career and a mortgage were not everyone's first priority. But neither were there smart tvs , smart phones and so many other objects of desire.

Seems today that more people are focussed on jobs , careers and making money...to enjoy the good things in life....without butherin' too much on youth movements which might only get in the way.

The 21st century will be waaaaaaaaaaay different from the 20th.

I cannot currently see any identifiable youth group which is not to say there ain't one , they mebbe only appear if necessitated by the society at the time.....or by marketing people.

I identify with the baby boomers and all that '60s stuff.....nae much money but plenty of good times( and bad actually ) ; it was a time when a career and a mortgage were not everyone's first priority. But neither were there smart tvs , smart phones and so many other objects of desire.

Seems today that more people are focussed on jobs , careers and making money...to enjoy the good things in life....without butherin' too much on youth movements which might only get in the way.

The 21st century will be waaaaaaaaaaay different from the 20th.

I think your right re the 21st century but I'm not sure if people are more career or money focussed now, its more a case they're suduced by advertising and think that "products" will make them happy as opposed to "living" life.

If you were a baby boomer Phoenix which "youth movement" did you fit into or feel closest too?

In my time I was a punk, goth, psychobilly, preppy motherf**ker/new romantic, and baggy.

Have to say the happiest times were sitting on the sticky, wet, Venue floor, nursing a Snakebite and having sh*te poetry read at me by Nicola... or was it Carol... from Marathon. Then up for a bit of a three by three to Sisters, a quick vegeburger that made you fart like a sick horse, and maybe a shuffle along to the Statue at Union Terrace Gardens to watch the squares go by... "Haha.. check that min." "Haha... lookit this spud." "f**k me, lookit this boy's hair." All while dressed as a f**king undertaker... I'm guessing young master Kelt hadn't developed an appreciation for the ironic at that point.

I remember making the decision to be goth... I'd just had a mate play Wasteland for me and I thought it was the coolest f**king thing I'd ever heard. So it was off into toon to buy up a whole bunch of black stuff, Gladiator Boots and Bondage Pants from One Up on Diamond Street, Grandpa Shirts from the Oriental Emporium, and various stops around town for fingerless gloves, floor length black coat and black underpants so that'd be co-ordinated when I got lucky. No girl wants to pull your awesome Bondage Pants off and find a pair of Glow-in-the-Dark Incredible Hulk Y'ers lurking underneath, ready to kill the moment in a blast of concentrated Hulk-Rage. So, yeah, black boxers... and maybe cellotape a packet of johnnies to them, so that the lucky chick knows you've got her best interests in mind. That's always a romantic touch.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent.

Youth Culture now is sh*te... it's for fuds and pansies from what I've seen.

In my time I was a punk, goth, psychobilly, preppy motherf**ker/new romantic, and baggy.

Have to say the happiest times were sitting on the sticky, wet, Venue floor, nursing a Snakebite and having sh*te poetry read at me by Nicola... or was it Carol... from Marathon. Then up for a bit of a three by three to Sisters, a quick vegeburger that made you fart like a sick horse, and maybe a shuffle along to the Statue at Union Terrace Gardens to watch the squares go by... "Haha.. check that min." "Haha... lookit this spud." "f**k me, lookit this boy's hair." All while dressed as a f**king undertaker... I'm guessing young master Kelt hadn't developed an appreciation for the ironic at that point.

I remember making the decision to be goth... I'd just had a mate play Wasteland for me and I thought it was the coolest f**king thing I'd ever heard. So it was off into toon to buy up a whole bunch of black stuff, Gladiator Boots and Bondage Pants from One Up on Diamond Street, Grandpa Shirts from the Oriental Emporium, and various stops around town for fingerless gloves, floor length black coat and black underpants so that'd be co-ordinated when I got lucky. No girl wants to pull your awesome Bondage Pants off and find a pair of Glow-in-the-Dark Incredible Hulk Y'ers lurking underneath, ready to kill the moment in a blast of concentrated Hulk-Rage. So, yeah, black boxers... and maybe cellotape a packet of johnnies to them, so that the lucky chick knows you've got her best interests in mind. That's always a romantic touch.

:laughing:

Not my scene but thats the type stuff I was looking for;

The Venue, Statue at Union Terrace Gardens, Oriental Emporium, One Up on Diamond Street.

:applause:

Nowadays we have people who wear t-shirt and scarf combos. That or a checked shirt.

Seriously though, I do still think there is plenty of a youth culture remaining, just it is not always as identifiable as before. It is the generation that went before that has developed the current commercial culture with youthes expecting everything on a plate. Hang your collective heads in shame...

Still plenty of contemporary youth cultures on the go. Indie kids, Hipsters, etc. Thankfully the emo/scene/nu rave cultures have died down now, thank god.

Am sure there are, maybe some of us are just too old to identify them. 'Nother birthday coming up and 40 looms.

Thought you would be gutted by the decline of emo though!

• Admin

Am sure there are, maybe some of us are just too old to identify them. 'Nother birthday coming up and 40 looms.

Thought you would be gutted by the decline of emo though!

Emo girls were incredibly easy but had plenty of daddy issues to go with it. I shall not mourn its passing. Any culture that celebrates the cutting of wrists as a cry for attention whoring needs a slap.

Fit did your folks say when you came home dressed like that?

My folks weren't best pleased when my sister went through here Goth phase.

"She looks a bloody state" was a statement I heard my Dad saying a lot.

Fit did your folks say when you came home dressed like that?

My folks weren't best pleased when my sister went through here Goth phase.

"She looks a bloody state" was a statement I heard my Dad saying a lot.

And he would of been correct in his observation.

If the goth look was good why did colour tv get invented?

It looks to me that lads that became goths were the ones who couldn't play fitba.

:itch-chin: