Youth Culture

Betty Swallicks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he would of been correct in his observation.

If the goth look was good why did colour tv get invented?

It looks to me that lads that became goths were the ones who couldn't play fitba. :itch-chin:

Thats how it was at my school too. We called them "smellies" tho!

They were all gutted when Cobain shot himself in the face - strangely I mind reading about it on the bus on the way down to the Semi Final in 1994, when the Arabs knocked us out!

I was a casual, was there from almost day one and am not adverse to the odd outing now and then these days, happy days

I did have a motorbike though but that was just a mode of transport.

I was also well into the house scene, loved an ecky!

you were a soccer mentalist dayts?

i've never met a real life gang fighter.

tell me, how many times did you actually drop a bomb on someone?

once? twice?

you were a soccer mentalist dayts?

i've never met a real life gang fighter.

tell me, how many times did you actually drop a bomb on someone?

once? twice?

:hysterical:

Bluto,

You've been watching too many pavement dancers on you tube!

PS I wouldn't like to put a figure on it, at least into treble figures, they were good days to be growing up in.

PPS I've never met a gang member either.

I was a casual, was there from almost day one and am not adverse to the odd outing now and then these days, happy days

I did have a motorbike though but that was just a mode of transport.

I was also well into the house scene, loved an ecky!

You fae Boxy?

Fit part? Clovie, Hillocks, Steenywid?

I kint a fair few folk fae Boxy. Mind "The Lads"?

Poor gang name but decent c**ts.

Went a few times to The Beacon Centre think it was called "the drop in" or something.

I mind Boxy used to scrap wi Byron on the golfie every summer.

Wouldn't get that now, half the folk would be junkies.

was a sporty type at a young age until i started listening to the Roses/Carpets and turned intop a baggy for a few years and then found out about substances...then flipped to Scottish/EnglishRave/Dance/Hardcore in the mid ninties until the late ninties and then started liking ma dance not as heavy and alot more socialable. Always have and always will go through phases with dance music

My old dear actually screamed when I walked into the living room all gothed up. I'd gone through previous incarnations like Psychobilly when i was into the Guanz Batz and King Kurt, wearing sandals and Hawaiian Shirts, bleached out flat top in the dead of winter... then I'd gone through my Ska phase and and prior to that I was a wee punk, also did the whole PIL/progressive rock thing, and i used to go to town with the dressing up... but the day I walked into the living room with the eyeliner and the lipstick and the panda paint her arse fell out... which is a good feeling for any young rebellious teen.

As for fitba, I played for the school team and was a member of the Chess Club. So I did the sports thing and the geeky thing. Never wore my make up or goth gear to play fitba or to go to Pittodrie though.... even though the wonderfully progressive city that is Aberdeen would never have had a problem seeing young lads dressed unusually.... well, except to batter you f**kless because you looked odd. Real balanced behaviour right there.

Also used to snowboard a bit, since being a goth was never a barrier to doing stuff. The wonderful thing about it is you can take off the black floor length skirt, wipe off the make up, put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and blend in with the straights. I'm sure casuals didn't go swimming in their Pringles and Freddy Flintstone Jeans. You take the costume off and you can be a normal spud like everybody else.

My old dear actually screamed when I walked into the living room all gothed up. I'd gone through previous incarnations like when i was into the Guanz Batz and King Kurt, wearing sandals and Hawaiian Shirts, bleached out flat top in the dead of winter... then I'd gone through my Ska phase and and prior to that I was a wee punk, also did the whole PIL/progressive rock thing, and i used to go to town with the dressing up... but the day I walked into the living room with the eyeliner and the lipstick and the panda paint her arse fell out... which is a good feeling for any young rebellious teen.

As for fitba, I played for the school team and was a member of the Chess Club. So I did the sports thing and the geeky thing. Never wore my make up or goth gear to play fitba or to go to Pittodrie though.... even though the wonderfully progressive city that is Aberdeen would never have had a problem seeing young lads dressed unusually.... well, except to batter you f**kless because you looked odd. Real balanced behaviour right there.

Also used to snowboard a bit, since being a goth was never a barrier to doing stuff. The wonderful thing about it is you can take off the black floor length skirt, wipe off the make up, put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and blend in with the straights. I'm sure casuals didn't go swimming in their Pringles and Freddy Flintstone Jeans. You take the costume off and you can be a normal spud like everybody else.

What type of back ground did you come from Kelt?

Nae many lads in the 80's from (I hate to use it but...) "working class" areas who liked or went to the fitba turned Goth or Psychobilly or had bleached flat tops wi Hawaiian Shirts or snowboarded etc.

These were the pursuits of folk who went to one of the private schools or were from Cults etc.

Even if I wanted to (fit I niver) I'd of never got away with being a goth etc as my old man, my mates, random neighbours, folk at the fitba etc etc etc would, as you said, kick the sh*te out of you.

The very few who were goths round by us lived in the shadows which I presume suited them to some extent.

All that darkness, solitude and teenage angst wasn't for me.

Nice clize, fitba, beer, scrapping, shagging, trend setting, being on the news, in the papers and in magazines seemed much more appealing to my teenage self.

Nice clize, fitba, beer, scrapping, shagging, trend setting, being on the news, in the papers and in magazines seemed much more appealing to my teenage self.

See, to me, Goth gear was nice clothes... a pair of big heavy boots instead of trainers, I was still able to drink beer, got into fights (not of my making, but rather because some 'normal' bam thought they would have a go with the weirdo'), shagged birds, was part of a movement... though a more permanent and far reaching subculture than the like of the 'Trendy' movement.

See, to me, Goth gear was nice clothes... a pair of big heavy boots instead of trainers, I was still able to drink beer, got into fights (not of my making, but rather because some 'normal' bam thought they would have a go with the weirdo'), shagged birds, was part of a movement... though a more permanent and far reaching subculture than the like of the 'Trendy' movement.

Goth gear is only nice to other goths. As you see a few folk on here like(d) the casual gear but weren't casuals themselves.

1980-today and still going strong to some extent and Europe wide.

Perhaps the goth type of thing is bigger in the usa (and fan it comes to culture they dinna really count) and to posh kids.

Read http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20050508/ai_n14624276/

Goth gear is only nice to other goths.

Hmmm.. don't know that that's true. I think it would be pretty difficult to argue that point.

As you see a few folk on here like(d) the casual gear but weren't casuals themselves.

1980-today and still going strong to some extent and Europe wide.

I don't think it can be argued that the 'trendy' subculture has had anywhere near the influence of the Goth subculture... certainly not in the respect that it's a recognised youth movement like Punk, Mod, Goth, Emo/Screamo that you can see everywhere from the United States to Uttar Pradesh.

Perhaps the goth type of thing is bigger in the usa (and fan it comes to culture they dinna really count) and to posh kids.

I think the goth thing is a common subculture everywhere... but I'm not particularly interested in a pissing contest as to what's better, Lacoste or grandpa shirts. I don't particularly think one is necessarily better than the other... although the deliberate seeking out of trouble amongst some groups... the Casuals for example... struck me as understandable (young guys like to fight) but not in any way something I was interested in. Not saying I never got into fights.. because I got into a fair number of fights... largely because 'normal' people (sometimes wrongly) thought the freaks in the black sh*t were an easy target, and would pick a fight. Doesn't take any brains to swing a punch or a kick...

I don't think the Goth thing, in my experience, was the domain of the posh kids either. Plenty working class folk in our circle, some posh kids, lassies inn... didna see many lassies running with the casuals... but, hey, maybe the Casuals preferred male company, I don't know. Wouldn't like to speculate. ;)

I'd also say the Trendy thing was an overtly , 'Check how much my sh*t cost' kind of a thing, which I personally have always found crass and annoying. I don't need to know how much other people's sh*t costs, thanks. To this day I've mates who'll flash their watch 2 inches from my face and tell me how much it cost, and how it's registered in Switzerland, and how it was delivered to their door by guys from Brinks. Seriously, I do not f**king care.

Regardless, each to their own, and if you preferred preppy sh*t (as I did very, very briefly) to black sh*t then knock yourself out. not my place to tell you different.

First thing that struck me was the past tense tone of the article

CASUALS: THE LOST TRIBE OF BRITAIN They dressed cool.

Which was kind of my point earlier.

What type of back ground did you come from Kelt?

Nae many lads in the 80's from (I hate to use it but...) "working class" areas who liked or went to the fitba turned Goth or Psychobilly or had bleached flat tops wi Hawaiian Shirts or snowboarded etc.

These were the pursuits of folk who went to one of the private schools or were from Cults etc.

Even if I wanted to (fit I niver) I'd of never got away with being a goth etc as my old man, my mates, random neighbours, folk at the fitba etc etc etc would, as you said, kick the sh*te out of you.

I don't think the Goth thing, in my experience, was the domain of the posh kids either. Plenty working class folk in our circle, some posh kids, lassies inn... didna see many lassies running with the casuals... but, hey, maybe the Casuals preferred male company, I don't know. Wouldn't like to speculate. ;)

Answer my question about what sort of background you came from please.

I await my Dad was a doctor but we were really rather poor or similar.

;)

Where I grew up and the areas where my mates were from I'd say circa 30-40% of lads were casuals to some extent at some stage of the 80's with 1% max being goths or similar and if they weren't goths they'd been some other weird thing to me as they didn't really play sports.

Re male company I think it doesn't get more hertosexual than a day out with your mates away at the football, a punch up, a few beers then back up to Aberdeen for a spot of clubbing.

Self confessing to wearing a black dress and make up on the other hand.

Hmmmmm.

Answer my question about what sort of background you came from please.

I await my Dad was a doctor but we were really rather poor or similar.

;)

Where I grew up and the areas where my mates were from I'd say circa 30-40% of lads were casuals to some extent at some stage of the 80's with 1% max being goths or similar and if they weren't goths they'd been some other weird thing to me as they didn't really play sports.

Re male company I think it doesn't get more hertosexual than a day out with your mates away at the football, a punch up, a few beers then back up to Aberdeen for a spot of clubbing.

I notice you didn't mention lassies in there anywhere. I'm not suggesting anything, like, just saying, you know.. you must have just forgot ;)

Self confessing to wearing a black dress and make up on the other hand.

Hmmmmm.

I never wore a dress... not saying I wouldn't have if I'd seen one I liked the look of, but I did have a nice floor length black skirt for special occasions, worn over a pair of buckle breeks or the like.

Remember,it's not what you put on that determines buftiness, it's where you shove your little fireman, and mine has always been diligent at targeting birds or reasonably close facsimilies.

I notice that a lot of Mods, Rockers, Casuals, Trendies and 'squares' used to wear earrings. Did that make them flamers? Not at all. Did a pink Pringle and baby blue jeans make Casuals sausage thieves? Not at all.... the clothes had nothing to do with their particular sexual proclivity... whatever that might have been. And, again, I'll not speculate :)

I notice you didn't mention lassies in there anywhere. I'm not suggesting anything, like, just saying, you know.. you must have just forgot ;)

I never wore a dress... not saying I wouldn't have if I'd seen one I liked the look of, but I did have a nice floor length black skirt for special occasions, worn over a pair of buckle breeks or the like.

Remember,it's not what you put on that determines buftiness, it's where you shove your little fireman, and mine has always been diligent at targeting birds or reasonably close facsimilies.

I notice that a lot of Mods, Rockers, Casuals, Trendies and 'squares' used to wear earrings. Did that make them flamers? Not at all. Did a pink Pringle and baby blue jeans make Casuals sausage thieves? Not at all.... the clothes had nothing to do with their particular sexual proclivity... whatever that might have been. And, again, I'll not speculate :)

Very good, you never wore a dress it was a skirt and make up.

It makes no odds to me if your gay or nae really.

Answer the question!

Very good, you never wore a dress it was a skirt.

Answer the question!

I fail to see why anyone's parents' professions are a matter for discussion. I've previously mentioned them in passing, but I assure you I'm not 'posh' by any manner of means.

It makes no odds to me if your gay or nae really.

I take nothing for granted, just be yourself. Believe me, I'm completely non-judgemental :thumbs:

I fail to see why anyone's parents' professions are a matter for discussion. I've previously mentioned them in passing, but I assure you I'm not 'posh' by any manner of means.

:laughing:

It was merely to determine if my thoughts re social background and goths were correct.

Going by your answer they clearly are.

Almost as good as "My Dad was a doctor but we were rather poor".

Goths for non sporty kids, freaks, the mentally disturbed or the posh.

No further questions, I rest my case.

:laughing:

It was merely to determine if my thoughts re social background and goths were correct.

Going by your answer they clearly are.

Almost as good as "My Dad was a doctor but we were rather poor".

Goths for non sporty kids, freaks, the mentally disturbed or the posh.

No further questions, I rest my case.

Played fitba for my school, so I was probably in the top 20 or so players there you would imagine. But I suppose you look at your typical goth and the pale skin and skeletal physique doesn't fill you with images of sporting excellence, I suppose. Hard to argue against that perception.

I think you're probably wrong about the social make up of goths, though. Well, i know you are, but still... not gonna argue against preconceived notions.

I don't think it can be argued that the 'trendy' subculture has had anywhere near the influence of the Goth subculture... certainly not in the respect that it's a recognised youth movement like Punk, Mod, Goth, Emo/Screamo that you can see everywhere from the United States to Uttar Pradesh.

I think the goth thing is a common subculture everywhere... but I'm not particularly interested in a pissing contest as to what's better, Lacoste or grandpa shirts. I don't particularly think one is necessarily better than the other... although the deliberate seeking out of trouble amongst some groups... the Casuals for example... struck me as understandable (young guys like to fight) but not in any way something I was interested in. Not saying I never got into fights.. because I got into a fair number of fights... largely because 'normal' people (sometimes wrongly) thought the freaks in the black sh*t were an easy target, and would pick a fight. Doesn't take any brains to swing a punch or a kick...

I'd say with you living in the US with its club kid culture still going strong and the electro and Techno scene that is still big in Detroit (with the likes of Green Velvet and co blasting it out every week) you'd see a lot more goth based dress than we do here Ke1t. In the UK and especially Aberdeen its totally different... you head into town on a Saturday night and you'll see a 18-21 year old with the mod/casual look, granted the hairs a bit f**ked up, a 30 something (me) with the same look and a 50 year old. The casual and mod look is still as popular today as it was when the likes of me and you were kicking about school (guessing you're 5-10 years older than me there) but instead of New balance its Rockport and instead of Lacoste its Paul Smith... or lacoste.

I dont think the goth culture has ever been big this neck of the woods, there wasnt 1 goth at school with me that I can remember and you always remember the freaks ;) Sure there was the Mud Club but that is/was for just that but the CP jackets are seen everywhere. Emo almost made it but not quite, IMO that is a real shame... I'm day dreaming now... yeh, so, anyway, think I'll roll a j and try and remember that chain of thought. I may finish that or then again I may not.

Played fitba for my school, so I was probably in the top 20 or so players there you would imagine. But I suppose you look at your typical goth and the pale skin and skeletal physique doesn't fill you with images of sporting excellence, I suppose. Hard to argue against that perception.

I think you're probably wrong about the social make up of goths, though. Well, i know you are, but still... not gonna argue against preconceived notions.

As stated only a tiny percentage of kids who grew up round me were goths but when in toon you heard them speak and many of them were posh.

These are facts!

Fair enough.

So we've determined the groups that goths come "non sporty kids, freaks, the mentally disturbed or the posh" and you claim that your not posh honest and a wee bit sporty.

:itch-chin:

Well, no... we've determined that your perception is that goths are "non-sporty kids, freaks, the mentally disturbed or the posh." and that I disagreed with you, but wasn't motivated to argue with preconceived notions.

But yeah, we can probably say that I'm not posh and was somewhat sporty.

I think your right re the 21st century but I'm not sure if people are more career or money focussed now, its more a case they're suduced by advertising and think that "products" will make them happy as opposed to "living" life.

If you were a baby boomer Phoenix which "youth movement" did you fit into or feel closest too?

Hey Betty ! Thanks for askin'.....I lost track of this thread and just came across it again( I get easily lost :nutter: )

I would have to admit to being wary about being pigeon-holed or joining any movement. Found myself impressed as an early teenager by the Beats but by the time I had grown older it was the hippy era( these movements are over before we know it )....certainly grew long hair and was immediately branded a hippy. Always thought that peace , love and understanding were decent ways to conduct ourselves thro' life but easier said than done when we get stressed out and fatigued by life's trials and tribulations. I liked a lot of mod music( the Who and the Soul Agents were adopted by the mods , amongst others ) but liked the rockers too.

I reckoned we should enjoy as much as life has to offer but not get compromised by any one movement by answering the two basic questions of the self:

1 Do I or do I not like this?

2 Is this true or is this false?

Answering honestly keeps it real.

Abuddy's different and will come up with different answers.....vive la difference and stand free.