Spain/Liechtenstein V Scotland

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Fletcher insists he still wants to play for Scotland but claims the decision is not his to make.

The Wolves forward told national team manager Craig Levein he did not want to be selected for a Carling Nations Cup game against Northern Ireland in February and has not been involved with the squad since.

Levein says Fletcher must make first contact if he wants to return to the international fold but Fletcher does not believe he turned his back on the country in the first place.

He told the Sunday Mail: 'Everyone wants to play for the country, and I do want to play for Scotland, but I feel like it's out of my hands. People say it's in my hands but I don't believe it is.

'I've read him saying I have to make myself available for selection again but I feel I never made myself unavailable.

'Will I make the call? I just feel as though I'd be made to look like an absolute k***, know what I mean?

'Even that doesn't bother me all that much because I want to go and play for my country but it just makes it look one way when it was another. I don't want people saying I turned my back on my country because I didn't.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2038801/Steven-Fletcher-wants-play-Scotland.html#ixzz1ZoJGIOmd

This is where Levein fails for me, he is too arrogant to ask Fletcher back who is developing into a first class striker, I would have O'Connor, he offers something different

Fletcher isn't blameless here. Both seem to have an ego that prevent them from making the first move, meanwhile Scotland suffer for it.

Crainey has pulled out replaced by Lee Wallace

I rate both Crainey and Wallace (relatively speaking) and think they deserve a place in the squad assuming they're playing first teram football for Blackpool and Rangers respectively. But I think Charlie Mulgrew also deserves an international call up based on his versatility and recent performances for the Tims.

I rate both Crainey and Wallace (relatively speaking) and think they deserve a place in the squad assuming they're playing first teram football for Blackpool and Rangers respectively. But I think Charlie Mulgrew also deserves an international call up based on his versatility and recent performances for the Tims.

But he's waiting on his call up for the USA! :hysterical:

This would have been my squad (although still including a few of my non-favourites, more because i needed to for depth):

McGregor

Gallacher

MacDonald (Hearts)

Hutton

Bardsley

McNaughton

Berra

Caldwell

Webster

Wallace

Whittaker

D. Fletcher

Bannan

Snodgrass

Adam

Morrison

Dorrans

Forrest

Naismith

Mackail-Smith

McCormack

Goodwillie

S. Fletcher

This would have been my squad (although still including a few of my non-favourites, more because i needed to for depth):

McGregor

Gallacher

MacDonald (Hearts)

Hutton

Bardsley

McNaughton

Berra

Caldwell

Webster

Wallace

Whittaker

D. Fletcher

Bannan

Snodgrass

Adam

Morrison

Dorrans

Forrest

Naismith

Mackail-Smith

McCormack

Goodwillie

S. Fletcher

take Mackail Smith oot for Kenny Miller and I'd agree. I wouldn't start Miller but he is good enough for back up or an impact sub

Darren Fletcher is struggling to make the game on Saturday after being told to stay away from the squad due to having tonsillitis

id would have had him in against Spain for sure, plenty energy, he's a scrapper and we need that in our side

What we don't need, however, are players who give away silly free kicks and get needless bookings. In games like the one we will have against Spain, he tends to get himself booked early on and ends up either walking a tightrope or having his influence diminished. I would not like to see him on a booking against Spain's clever players, who would know exactly how to get a player like him sent off.

gives the ball away far too often. we could definitely do without that against spain

This.

What we don't need, however, are players who give away silly free kicks and get needless bookings. In games like the one we will have against Spain, he tends to get himself booked early on and ends up either walking a tightrope or having his influence diminished. I would not like to see him on a booking against Spain's clever players, who would know exactly how to get a player like him sent off.

This.

fair point.

So his mind isn't on football right now?

He's only banging goals in for fun, but his mind must be elsewhere.

Levein is the funniest manager ever.

O'Connor cannot be included on the basis that doing so condones drug use, and children look on Scotland players as role models, so I agree 100% with Levein taking this stance and announcing it publicly, well done to him.

id would have had him in against Spain for sure, plenty energy, he's a scrapper and we need that in our side

Typical Scottish approach..."he's a scrapper"

......forgetting he cant pass, shoot, or tackle (properly).

Just runs about like a headless chicken

Wouldnt have him anywhere near an international team.

He's utter pish

THE most over-rated/over-priced Scottish footballer at