Guisers/halloween

daytripping

Bofoon,

I can assure you on halloween night we took our guy round the houses in a cart and said penny for the guy, the idea was you got money for squibs but it usually got blown on sweets.

Then you sir are an idiot and missed out on an extra feast of fireworks / sweets.

Going guising meant getting sweets and cash for telling a joke to some old man or wifie while in fancy dress. Fancy dress mandatory.

After Halloween is passed you then started to collect wood and other crap for the bonfire you were building while also making a Guy to burn on it. Penny for the guy is taking said guy around the same houses you've visited a few days earlier collecting wood and rubbish for burning and getting more cash for the guy. No dressing up required.

Only an idiot would combine two money making exercises into one.

Best bit of it all was visiting other towns and areas and burning their bonfire to the ground prior to 5th November. Always good to have some decent guards posted around your own bonfire. I remember our side of the town getting 4 in the same night by torching the Cullen quarry, Portknockie and Finechty bonfire all on the same night while keeping ours intact.

Anyway that's off topic as bonfires have got fuck all to do with guising or Halloween.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you sir are an idiot and missed out on an extra feast of fireworks / sweets.

Going guising meant getting sweets and cash for telling a joke to some old man or wifie while in fancy dress. Fancy dress mandatory.

After Halloween is passed you then started to collect wood and other crap for the bonfire you were building while also making a Guy to burn on it. Penny for the guy is taking said guy around the same houses you've visited a few days earlier collecting wood and rubbish for burning and getting more cash for the guy. No dressing up required.

Only an idiot would combine two money making exercises into one.

Best bit of it all was visiting other towns and areas and burning their bonfire to the ground prior to 5th November. Always good to have some decent guards posted around your own bonfire. I remember our side of the town getting 4 in the same night by torching the Cullen quarry, Portknockie and Finechty bonfire all on the same night while keeping ours intact.

Anyway that's off topic as bonfires have got fuck all to do with guising or Halloween.

Every word the truth.

Guising has nothing to do with Guy Fawkes - which is as disgustingly pro-establishment a tradition as you are likely to find.

I like Guy Fawkes' style - even it is largely an English tradition.

Are the 2 not both derivatives of the ancient Pagan festival of samhain and the bonfires at the solstice?

It seems we have forgotten the 5th of November. Certainly, 'bonfire night' isn't the same as it was, while Halloween has grown in popularity.

I guess there's more money to be made out of Halloween than folk burning a load of their unwanted wood.

Interesting quote (from Wiki)

"Nowadays, family bonfire gatherings are much less popular, and many once-large civic celebrations have been given up because of increasingly intrusive health and safety regulations. But 5

Halloween was the dog's testicles when I was a young 'un. Me and my mates could be seen wandering the streets in the pishing rain for hours on end. We always noted which houses were good for money, certain ones gained mythical status for the amount they would dish out. There would often be whispers going around about where was good to go, every year there would always be someone that reckoned they got a quid from some house. It never happened, the best you could get would be 50p, and that was rare. Nevertheless it was possible to rake in a considerable sum as long as you avoided getting mugged from a gang of the older kids, which was always bad news until you were one of the older kids. It seems to have died now, it's a real shame some of the best nights of my pre-alcohol, pre-shagging,youth fell on the 31st of October.

Halloween was the dog's testicles when I was a young 'un. Me and my mates could be seen wandering the streets in the pishing rain for hours on end. We always noted which houses were good for money, certain ones gained mythical status for the amount they would dish out. There would often be whispers going around about where was good to go, every year there would always be someone that reckoned they got a quid from some house. It never happened, the best you could get would be 50p, and that was rare. Nevertheless it was possible to rake in a considerable sum as long as you avoided getting mugged from a gang of the older kids, which was always bad news until you were one of the older kids. It seems to have died now, it's a real shame some of the best nights of my pre-alcohol, pre-shagging,youth fell on the 31st of October.

Similar memories to my own. We used to head out about 6 and maybe finish around 9. It would just be us kids, maybe 3 or 4 of us. We'd have to tell a joke or sing a song. The only option for me was a joke. When you were at your friend's houses there would be dooking for apples but mainly we just rapped on the doors of complete strangers.

Main reward was monkey nuts and sweeties. It's no surprise it's dying out though. No way would a parent in our current society allow there kids out on their own at night - let alone chapping on the doors of potential weirdos. We seemed to get on fine though.

Plastic carrier bag was always bulging by the end of the night. Mainly monkey nuts but plenty of sweeties too. It's a shame that the tradition has been hijacked by American influence and undue concerns.

All that said, I grew up in a tiny wee village. What went on at the same time in cities I don't know.

It seems we have forgotten the 5th of November. Certainly, 'bonfire night' isn't the same as it was, while Halloween has grown in popularity.

I guess there's more money to be made out of Halloween than folk burning a load of their unwanted wood.

Interesting quote (from Wiki)

"Nowadays, family bonfire gatherings are much less popular, and many once-large civic celebrations have been given up because of increasingly intrusive health and safety regulations. But 5 November has also been overtaken by a popular festival that barely existed when I was growing up, and that is Halloween ... Britain is not the Protestant nation it was when I was young: it is now a multi-faith society. And the Americanised Halloween is sweeping all before it—a vivid reminder of just how powerfully American culture and American consumerism can be transported across the Atlantic."

Wasna just wood. Old sofas, chairs (always at least one sprung mattress which would be reduced to only the metal content). Basically anything that the community wanted rid of was chucked into a huge pile and burned. The scorch marks would be dotted all around fields for months afterwards.

Best bonfires I ever saw where the ones when I was a nipper in Alness. The amount of planning and logistics were immense. Always mind the big boys with their Adidas Sambas and choppers working on them for weeks in advance. Bit of competition between the two schemes as I remember. Nicking materials from rivals bonfires was an issue.

On the night you were taken out by your parents to admire what the 12 - 16 year olds had achieved. It was nearly as good as Christmas. Nowadays you're lucky if your local fire brigade organise a completely sanitised and health and safety checked version of what used to be a great night.

The amount of planning and logistics were immense. Always mind the big boys with their Adidas Sambas and choppers working on them for weeks in advance. Bit of competition between the two schemes as I remember. Nicking materials from rivals bonfires was an issue.

No nicking where I grew up. Just torching your rival towns prior to 5th November.

My eldest two were sent out and came back with a fair bit of booty but heaps of miserable fuckers don't answer the door.

Some parents just canna let kids be kids, at our school parents are still turning up to walk or drive home Primary 6 and Primary 7's and the lazy little fuckers greet like fuck if they have to walk.

Mine are now sent on bike, P6 and P4 and the reaction was like i'd sent them round to Gary Glitters for a Pyjama Party.

One Halloween i was Wurzel Gummidge and was given my Granda's old suit stuffed with hay and a pair of his old work boots, my woolly hat stuffed with hay and my nose painted with my old dears lipstick. I would have been a small size 12 and he would have been a big 12, i dragged myself round the houses for hours leaving hay everywhere in my wake for half a kilo of nuts, several items of fruit, a gaggle of biscuits and 80p in loose change...........it was fucking ace.

Mostly nowadays Kids and the parents are tossers.

Wurzel Gummidge. That brings back good memories.

My mate's wife had her 21st many moons ago and had a fancy dress theme. My wife went as Wurzel Gummidge and I went as Aunt Sally. I'd the bonnet, rosy cheeks the works. Ended up completely oot my nut back at their hoose afterwards, As you'll know taking some ectos can leave you thinking you're seeing things so their were a few pickled folk that night when they saw a bloke with his jaw going ten to the dozen dressed in drag as a shop dummy. :laughing:

My eldest two were sent out and came back with a fair bit of booty but heaps of miserable fuckers don't answer the door.

Some parents just canna let kids be kids, at our school parents are still turning up to walk or drive home Primary 6 and Primary 7's and the lazy little fuckers greet like fuck if they have to walk.

Mine are now sent on bike, P6 and P4 and the reaction was like i'd sent them round to Gary Glitters for a Pyjama Party.

One Halloween i was Wurzel Gummidge and was given my Granda's old suit stuffed with hay and a pair of his old work boots, my woolly hat stuffed with hay and my nose painted with my old dears lipstick. I would have been a small size 12 and he would have been a big 12, i dragged myself round the houses for hours leaving hay everywhere in my wake for half a kilo of nuts, several items of fruit, a gaggle of biscuits and 80p in loose change...........it was fucking ace.

Mostly nowadays Kids and the parents are tossers.

I got walked to school on my first day. I remember I had been bought a new duffle coat for the occasion and it was all very exciting and scary.

After that it was just kinda expected that I knew the route and had to make my own way in. Another early memory from those days was that the other kids got crisps to take in with them whereas I got an apple. Health concious parents... Was well jealous of the kids with crisps.

I did used to venture out as a loon at Halloween.

With a swiss army knife, which you were unable to be lifted for possession of, looking for bairns smaller than me so I could slash their bags and steal a couple of months worth of sweeties in one lightly armed robbery.

I also had the added bonus of not having to 'dress up' and go on the scrounge, as making a cunt of yourself at the behest of folk you hate is too heavy a price to pay for a few fun size chocolate bars, oot o date crisps, and 3kg of monkey nuts as was standard issue at the time.

I did used to venture out as a loon at Halloween.

With a swiss army knife, which you were unable to be lifted for possession of, looking for bairns smaller than me so I could slash their bags and steal a couple of months worth of sweeties in one lightly armed robbery.

I also had the added bonus of not having to 'dress up' and go on the scrounge, as making a cunt of yourself at the behest of folk you hate is too heavy a price to pay for a few fun size chocolate bars, oot o date crisps, and 3kg of monkey nuts as was standard issue at the time.

Right Tup. I / we have tolerated your pish for long enough.

I ken just by your posting style that you would be one of those kids who pished their jeans when confronted with a 'square go'. I don't question the validity of your account, but I do reckon the shoe (or swiss army knife) would have been on the other foot.

You're transparent as a single glazed window. I like your style though.

To summarise: victim.

Was well jealous of the kids with crisps.

Good! It means it was a treat for you. Which they should be for kids!

I wasn't allowed out for Halloween. They (parents) seen it as begging. I ended up out one year. Asda for a scream mask (with flowing blood) and went round a few doors equipped with a terrible joke for those "trick" smart arses. Good fun

Right Tup. I / we have tolerated your pish for long enough.

I ken just by your posting style that you would be one of those kids who pished their jeans when confronted with a 'square go'. I don't question the validity of your account, but I do reckon the shoe (or swiss army knife) would have been on the other foot.

You're transparent as a single glazed window. I like your style though.

To summarise: victim.

Of course I had it done to me and once I was older in hindsight I expected no less, I was small, and asking to be robbed.

So it's hierarchical, do unto to others what was done unto yersel as the saying goes, so the robbed become the robbers, natural succession min.

I dinna see any bairns stealing fae each other these days, a surefire sign that society is losing it's oomph.