Ballon D'or

youre looking but youre nae seeing stoney ;)

sure they are glood players who dont embarrass their better team mates - alonso does a good job for spain but he is nowhere near the quality of iniesta and you could equally replace him with a number of other players and not notice any difference.

its fashiobnable to rate these 'normal' spainish players above their eurpoean contemporaries simply because spain have won all tournaments.

w.r.t. cassillas i think he is really good but the best. not necessarily. he gets the vote cause of exposure.

Alonso is a class player, said when he left liverpool they would go downhill, such an under-rated player! He can pick a pass with the very best of him, and could easily have played with Xavi and Iniesta!

Alonso is not a normal player! Look at the quality they are keeping out of the national team, Fabregas and mata would be first choice for any country in the world.

Give me a keeper whos been more consistant than casillas at the highest level!

Name them Bloots?

As I say, I'd replace 1 player in that team...Marcelo with Lahm.

youre a big fan of dortmund and german football, no?

no one midfield player deserve to get in there?

some very good german keepers too. as is buffon.

no italian outfield players either.

its populist, and thats shown by guadiola being on the shortlist. that is quite possibly teh most ridiculous thing i have ever seen in an award ceremony. winning the copa del rey.

Alonso is a class player, said when he left liverpool they would go downhill, such an under-rated player! He can pick a pass with the very best of him, and could easily have played with Xavi and Iniesta!

Alonso is not a normal player! Look at the quality they are keeping out of the national team, Fabregas and mata would be first choice for any country in the world.

Give me a keeper whos been more consistant than casillas at the highest level!

when i have watched cassillas recently maybe over the past year or two he hasnt been as good as he was. the liverpool 4-0 game. phenonmenal. but not so much now. could just be a samll blip.

im just saying they have been voted in as the easy option rather than to say pirlo or X deserves a spot.

The only keepers you could argue are:

Buffon

Valdes

Neuer

Weidenfeller

However, none tough to chose between any of them, so Casillas is the easy pick.

All great keepers,

Neuer will just be coming up to his prime now, at 26 hes got 10 years at the top ahead of him, will be interested to see how many honours he will rack up!

Pirlo

Lewandowski

Possible arguments for those 2, and Hummels also...however given what Spain achieved last year, it was 'easy' choice and probably 'safe' choice to go with what they did.

Pique is a cracking defender, as is Hummels though, but I don't have any arguments barring Lahm instead of Marcelo.

youre getting there. football does exist outside of two spainish cities.

so come on tell me why was guardiola on that list exactly?

its populist, and thats shown by guadiola being on the shortlist. that is quite possibly teh most ridiculous thing i have ever seen in an award ceremony. winning the copa del rey.

It depends on how you assess it, trophy wise, Barca were clearly not very succesful last year, but are you really arguing he's not one of the greatest managers in the world? Are you saying you shouldn't be shortlisted if your team is beaten by your rivals breaking all sorts of records, whilst managed by arguably the greatest manager in the world. He has proved without doubt he is one of the top 5 managers in the world today, whether that was shown by results last year is arguable, but to say his nomination is rediculous is bizarre.

It depends on how you assess it, trophy wise, Barca were clearly not very succesful last year, but are you really arguing he's not one of the greatest managers in the world? Are you saying you shouldn't be shortlisted if your team is beaten by your rivals breaking all sorts of records, whilst managed by arguably the greatest manager in the world. He has proved without doubt he is one of the top 5 managers in the world today, whether that was shown by results last year is arguable, but to say his nomination is rediculous is bizarre.

i see what your saying. just going on ability alone and not achievements.

why no alex ferguson then? he won as much as guardiola did and is a better manager.

but the guy has retired. he only managed for 5 months in 2012.

i see what your saying. just going on ability alone and not achievements.

why no alex ferguson then? he won as much as guardiola did and is a better manager.

but the guy has retired. he only managed for 5 months in 2012.

I think in a short space of time, what Guardiola achieved has been quite incredible, its hard to make a case for him v Ferguson, given your talking about 4 years, v a lifetime, I suppose you could argue Barca, and Spanish football is just more topical/newsworthy/flavour of the month right now.

He only planned to be out the game for a year, he'll be back. No-one ever manages the Spanish 2 for long, the pressure is to much, Cruyff, who I never realised is actually the man responsible for Barca being where they are today, had a heart attack before quitting and never managing again. Rijkarrd almost had a breakdown and had to move out from his family home. I imagine its like the Old Firm bubble times 10, bear in mind both cities have 2 newspapers who solely report on sport, and almost exclusively on either Real or Barca, plus the worlds media is on them 24/7, and the pressure if they so much as draw a game is enormous.

I think in a short space of time, what Guardiola achieved has been quite incredible, its hard to make a case for him v Ferguson, given your talking about 4 years, v a lifetime, I suppose you could argue Barca, and Spanish football is just more topical/newsworthy/flavour of the month right now.

He only planned to be out the game for a year, he'll be back. No-one ever manages the Spanish 2 for long, the pressure is to much, Cruyff, who I never realised is actually the man responsible for Barca being where they are today, had a heart attack before quitting and never managing again. Rijkarrd almost had a breakdown and had to move out from his family home. I imagine its like the Old Firm bubble times 10, bear in mind both cities have 2 newspapers who solely report on sport, and almost exclusively on either Real or Barca, plus the worlds media is on them 24/7, and the pressure if they so much as draw a game is enormous.

im sure it si. but surely you need to work to actually be eligible for these awards :-)

i see what your saying and my opinions arent worth diddly squat. they won and fair play to them. theyre just a bit of fun at the end of the day

i see what your saying and my opinions arent worth diddly squat. they won and fair play to them. theyre just a bit of fun at the end of the day

I'm easy osy about them to, just trying to point out that the guys getting listed are indeed great players, managers, I'm sure there are loads of other contenders but my opinions aren't particularly well informed given I only watch Spanish and Italian football, I know nothing of German football or any other European leagues.

This must end the lie about the English EPL being the best ever. I enjoy the hustle of British football, but for quality and blow your mind skill it's the German and Spanish leagues.

I've not read the thread, but I would have voted Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta. However Iniesta is for me the best player to watch in football. Thanks Sky.

Hmm, I watch la liga a fair bit, or did for years and lost interest this year, I found overall standard wasnt great, just 2 or 3 great teams, the rest miles behind.

that encapsulates all of the top leagues.

there is no best league.

they are all much the same, just with different strips.

Hmm, I watch la liga a fair bit, or did for years and lost interest this year, I found overall standard wasnt great, just 2 or 3 great teams, the rest miles behind.

It's a country mile ahead of the EPL though, isn't it?

Chelsea got battered by Atletico Madrid.

Man Utd battered by Athletic Bilboa

Basically everyone has been beasted by Barcelona.

Would Man utd make the top 4 in Spain? I'm not so sure.

Cow

• Upvote 1

It's a country mile ahead of the EPL though, isn't it?

Chelsea got battered by Atletico Madrid.

Man Utd battered by Athletic Bilboa

Basically everyone has been beasted by Barcelona.

Would Man utd make the top 4 in Spain? I'm not so sure.

Cow

and tahst why chelsea beat barcelona.

cow, min dinna speak turd.

they are all the same.strip away the boundaries and you have the identikit modern day league

spain has 2 massive clubs. england has 1, maybe 2, massive clubs. germany has one massive club. italy has 3.

the rest fill the fixture calander