Di Canio

Having this debate with some feel types on a forum predominantly full of Dundee United fans.

Can't distinguish between fascist leanings and being a "Nazi" for a start, but even if they could see beyond that, they can't seem to recognise this freedom of speech thing.

As far as I can see, the evidence that he is a complete "Nazi" is:

- couple of dodgy salutes at Lazio (a quite right wing club)

- an interest in Mussolini and an admission that he agreed with some of his politics.

He got punished for the salutes, and surely political leanings are something that everyone is entitled to, as long as it doesn't interfere with the law.

I think he should denounce fascism and promote world peace.

After all, he's manager of Sunderland now, fascism is all very well at the likes of Swindon, but once you are in the EPL you have to appeal to a different demographic, the upper middle class, who don't actually even like football.

So just get on with it Di Canio, dinna rock the boat min.

It's unbelievable that once he takes a Premiership job suddenly everyone is up in arms against this "evil man". Italy is a hotbed of extreme left and right wing views, it's a cultural thing, but he isn't a racist or a "bad man".

The sun actually has quotes from a Sunderland "fan" saying he doesn't attend matches but if he did, he'd stop because of Paolo! What a story!

Sunderland need a bit of a miracle to keep them up, hope he does it and gets it right up the lot of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kick It Out commenting now... jumping on a bandwagon?

They never commented when he was at Swindon...why now?

Nae that twat Clarke Carlisle is it?

Don't think it was as he was very well spoken this morning on this matter whilst he co-presented talksport.

Agree with Kilkito, it's strange how now he's in the EPL everyone is against him, it's almost as if it's because they know he will speak out about their shit, also something I find funny too, one of the main kit makers/sponsors for EPL sides are Adidas, puma have also sponsored sides before two, the founders of those brands were huge nazis.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly a lively character seems to bring a bit of passion & a bit of comedy to the EPL.

Good luck to him hope he dis ok wi Sunderland & they stay up, there's worse teams in the religation mix.

Although his BOLD statement about making Sunderland biggest team in North East of England was very brave, Newcastle are a massive club in their own right.

I like the man, if you were playing for him you wouldn't want to let him down, as huntly says he has a lot of passion, that will rub off onto the players.

Beats Broon in that department by a Million miles.

I think most could beat Broon Dayts min, you imagine Broon skiting along the grun in his suit? :laughing:

• Upvote 2

Will be really interesting to see how he gets on next season. Pure passion will get you so far... it got Kevin Keegan to within a hairs breadth of the EPL title. However, these days I think you have to be able to back that up at the highest level.

Unbelievable spectacle yesterday though! The Geordies must have been raging when he was giving it the big GIRFUY, while the goals were raining in!

I doubt there would have been scuffles outside the ground had it not been for Di Canios outrageous behaviour.

Will be really interesting to see how he gets on next season. Pure passion will get you so far... it got Kevin Keegan to within a hairs breadth of the EPL title. However, these days I think you have to be able to back that up at the highest level.

Agree that passion only get's you so far, he has to get the backing of Ellis Short & sign good players who sign have the same passion & desire as him to succeed in the EPL.

I thought he was fantastic yesterday, added a fascinating dimension to the game, loved watching his celebrations, and would love to have someone like him as our manager.

Number of pundits wrote a load of shite about him when he was appointed, like Merson saying Sunderland were guaranteed to go down, if he keeps up the good work, I hope they apologise to him.

I doubt there would have been scuffles outside the ground had it not been for Di Canios outrageous behaviour.

Nonsense.

Sunderland fan at work said that what he seen was quite mild compared to what normally happens in those sort of games.

There is normally always trouble, so when he saw it had made the news he said 'only reason that is, is because of the Millwall fighting on Saturday, normally the trouble is a lot worse than that'.

He goes to every Sunderland game home and away.

Even midweek games? Cup games?

I thought he was fantastic yesterday, added a fascinating dimension to the game, loved watching his celebrations, and would love to have someone like him as our manager.

Number of pundits wrote a load of shite about him when he was appointed, like Merson saying Sunderland were guaranteed to go down, if he keeps up the good work, I hope they apologise to him.

Fit dis Paul Merson ken he's an alkie fa lasted 5 mins in charge o Walsall.

I always considered Keegan to be a complete balloon. Totally agree that passion of itself is never enough at the higher levels but it's still too early to say if di Canio has the requisite man-management and communication abilities or the tactical nous. He certainly seems to inspire.

He is a complete balloon... however he had the Newcastle players running through brick walls for him. He did fantastically well in the lowers leagues (better even than Di Canio), but was out maneuvered by Ferguson when it came down the crunch.

As I said, it'll be interesting to see if he has a plan B. He'll be given a stern examination next season. Tactically the EPL is a tougher competition than when Keegan came close.

However, it's brilliant for the EPL - a breath of fresh air - the competition is so lacking in characters these days. I'm gutted Rafa Benitez is leaving Chelsea - another character who's provided me with so many laughs and so much entertainment over the years! I would love it if he went back to Liverpool!

Nonsense.

Sunderland fan at work said that what he seen was quite mild compared to what normally happens in those sort of games.

There is normally always trouble, so when he saw it had made the news he said 'only reason that is, is because of the Millwall fighting on Saturday, normally the trouble is a lot worse than that'.

He goes to every Sunderland game home and away.

Nonsense?

I used to live in Newcastle, near the city centre and I never saw anything like that on derby day. Not that much happened anyway... in fact, in Newcastle, on game day, it was rare to hear even a cross word as the crowds poured out.