Holiday Thread 2012

zander

I go to places you couldn't afford to go, and I can't tell you as you'll want to come and without a cummerbund for dinner, you're not welcome.

More like you know you'll never recover from admitting that you're just back from visiting Majorca for the 20th year in a row! All inclusive too, but the cheap all inclusive - local drinks only and only between certain hours of the day, restaurant serving turkey twizzlers, chicken dinosaurs, egg, chips & beans with the odd Paella night for the more adventurous.

Hook, line and sinker RS laughing.gif

Always good to read a thread after someone has reeled others in. Although if I had been on I would have fallen for it too.

Anyway, Bluto you seem to be on the same page as me when it comes to holidays. Too big a world to keep going back to the same place. Haven't really done it. Had the best times in Cuba and South Africa and don't want to go back because it would be with different people and I would just compare it to before.

Never done all inclusive although I did stay in one of those huge resort type places in Indonesia. Beautiful views and beaches but definitely not for me. Thankfully I was there for only a couple of days. Decided to go and see what real Indonesia was about and left the resort for 1 of those days. I was surprised to see about 20 armed guards at the entrance and right across the road were shacks reeking of poverty. The towns on the island were great, bustling with cheap food and drink street sellers. Also found out that they had chucked hundreds of Indonesians off their land so they could build the resort.

I can see the benefits to these types of places, especially if you have kids, but it was massive, over priced and over manicured.

You'd be surprised. The Olympic sailing was on at Weymouth when we were down. Superb stuff.

I've been down many many years ago in my much younger days with my folks. Hated it, but thats because I was a moody teenager who didn't want to be with my folks! I edited my post as I had originally bitten to a couple of RS's wind ups without reading the rest of the topic and just wrote that! :poster_oops:

I have family in the south of England and remember it as being a nice place, although they want to move as they say it's going down hill

Hook, line and sinker RS laughing.gif

Always good to read a thread after someone has reeled others in. Although if I had been on I would have fallen for it too.

Anyway, Bluto you seem to be on the same page as me when it comes to holidays. Too big a world to keep going back to the same place. Haven't really done it. Had the best times in Cuba and South Africa and don't want to go back because it would be with different people and I would just compare it to before.

Agree with all of that. Thing I've learnt from holidays though is not to try to do too much. I've made that mistake a few times (Thailand squeezed a lot in but was knackered the whole time). Having said that have been on holiday with folk who just want to sit in an Irish pub speaking to a barman who happens to be from Scotland... once.

Never done all inclusive although I did stay in one of those huge resort type places in Indonesia. Beautiful views and beaches but definitely not for me. Thankfully I was there for only a couple of days. Decided to go and see what real Indonesia was about and left the resort for 1 of those days. I was surprised to see about 20 armed guards at the entrance and right across the road were shacks reeking of poverty. The towns on the island were great, bustling with cheap food and drink street sellers. Also found out that they had chucked hundreds of Indonesians off their land so they could build the resort.

I can see the benefits to these types of places, especially if you have kids, but it was massive, over priced and over manicured.

thats cause i have class.

holidays are ace.

the best thing you can ever spend your money on.

unless youre a mink iof course in which case i'd recommend buying a car not in keeping with your house.

Oooo, tough one. Jews or Arabs? Nah, give it a miss.

For different and not so far, fly to Pisa and go to Siena, beautiful city and countryside.

Or maybe Dorset? Nah, full of guffys eating scones and guffys drinking warm beer and spikkin shite.

Rekjavik. Now ye're talking. Eat whale blubber and have a hot bath outside with some gals and geezers in a geyser.

Dublin isn't very far but it's different as the hotels and restaurants are superb.

I wouldn't recommend Stonehaven, a soft and crazy town nor would I recommend Peterhead.

Try Bavaria or Switzerland, lovely mountains and pure air.

France is my all time favourite country though. Hardelot les plages is a lovely wee town.

siena is cool. i was there for il palio a couple fo years back.

tuscany itself has loads of great towns, worth visiting.

on the whole a brilliant contry, italy.

anyone ever been to beirut or tel aviv? fancy somewhere a bit different for long weekend in october.

Never been to Tel Aviv but Beirut is cool. Great nightlife, restaurants and plenty of cultural things to see.

However I don't think it is wise to visit just now as the conflict in Syria is spilling over to Lebanon. Roads and the airport get closed every so often, there's been an increase in kidnappings and an increased threat from terrorism. It's a shame because the country was building itself up after so many years of war. DePragueBeirut is sometimes on here. I dropped him a PM before I visited and he gave me some tips,

Tel Aviv looks ace. I'd go there if I was you, just from a safety point of view. You can ask the Israelis not to stamp your passport.

Do Tel Aviv mate.

I'm working in Israel just now and it's a stunning place.

Cool, nearly had to go last year for work, most of the guys I speak to that have been come back raving about it

I hope you've got two passports.

Yeah I do, well aware of the stamping issue

Never been to Tel Aviv but Beirut is cool. Great nightlife, restaurants and plenty of cultural things to see.

However I don't think it is wise to visit just now as the conflict in Syria is spilling over to Lebanon. Roads and the airport get closed every so often, there's been an increase in kidnappings and an increased threat from terrorism. It's a shame because the country was building itself up after so many years of war. DePragueBeirut is sometimes on here. I dropped him a PM before I visited and he gave me some tips,

Tel Aviv looks ace. I'd go there if I was you, just from a safety point of view. You can ask the Israelis not to stamp your passport.

Yeah it looks nice, clubs look ace as well!

I'm off to Oz in October. Melbourne to be precise. Never been to Oz and Aussies bug me, but I'm visiting one of my best mates so I'm sure it will be fine. Anyone got any must dos or sees?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i was only there a few days, a few years ago now -- but loved it!

i don't know what you really like, but i did a lot of the touristy stuff, and just walking around.

the zoo was great (i was there early morn, and pretty much had the place to myself), the aquarium at Southbank, nice walk along the Yarra River.

Eureka Tower if you want to do the hanging out in a glass box 88 floors up thing.

no aussie football that time of year i don't think. :ThumbsDown:

st. kilda and the beach if you want a wander.

some beautiful parks (Fitzroy Gardens and Cook's Cottage, and the royal botanical gardens)

and Little Collins Avenue for shoe shopping :sheepdance:

Anyone been to Stockholm before? Thinking of heading over for a weekend to see a gig in November but won't bother if its shit.

Stockholm is beautiful.

A place I'd like to go back to and (like MDAL) I'm not really keen on going to too many places I've been before (though there are a few examples below).

Pretty quiet on the MH holiday front this year.

Dubai for 11 days in January. Would recommend.

Madrid for a long weekend in March to see reformation of Close Lobsters.

Clermont, Orlando & Jacksonville for a week around the foot ball in May.

Dubrovnik for a week in June.

Berlin & Hamburg for gig/football in July.

Off to Ibiza next Wednesday for a 40th birthday party. Week at a monster villa and stuff.

Going to Switzerland for a long weekend and a couple of Wedding Present gigs next month.

Nae sure aboot Xmas. Was thinking aboot Cape Town & Jo'burg. Recommended?

Off to Ibiza next Wednesday for a 40th birthday party. Week at a monster villa and stuff.

Going to Switzerland for a long weekend and a couple of Wedding Present gigs next month.

You really need a break min.

It'll do you the power of good.

Fit div ye mean "stuff" ?

Stockholm is beautiful.

A place I'd like to go back to and (like MDAL) I'm not really keen on going to too many places I've been before (though there are a few examples below).

went to Jo'burg for 2 weeks for the world cup 2010. couldna recommend the place high enough, absolutely awesome place and nae trouble at all. theres anythin and everything to do, wether it be city nightlife or quiet few days safari or shoppin etc etc. class place!

as good as it was in Jo'burg, every local we spoke to, all very friendly and helpful, said next time we come back we should deffo go tae Cape Town as its beautiful. got amazin beaches and obviously Table Mountain etc. hopin to go back sometime soon and do a week in both.

Anyone been to Stockholm before? Thinking of heading over for a weekend to see a gig in November but won't bother if its shit.

been to stockholm before and really enjoyed it.

stayed in the centre, old town.

was over for a gig as well actually. it was in some theatre type place on one of the islands which is a massive park.

its a beautifl place.

cant imagine the weather will be very good then though, but you should still have a good time.

been to stockholm before and really enjoyed it.

stayed in the centre, old town.

was over for a gig as well actually. it was in some theatre type place on one of the islands which is a massive park.

its a beautifl place.

cant imagine the weather will be very good then though, but you should still have a good time.

I was over for the Scotland match a couple of years back.

Then found out een o' my favourite bands were playing a gig.

So changed flights and extended my stay.

Sounds similar in some ways to gig i was at. On Grona Lund on the island Djurgarden (sp).

A big amausement park wi' a stage in the middle. Cool.

It is indeed beautiful.