Holiday Thread 2012

zander

Stockholm is beautiful.

A place I'd like to go back to and (like MDAL) I'm not really keen on going to too many places I've been before (though there are a few examples below).

Pretty quiet on the MH holiday front this year.

Dubai for 11 days in January. Would recommend.

Madrid for a long weekend in March to see reformation of Close Lobsters.

Clermont, Orlando & Jacksonville for a week around the foot ball in May.

Dubrovnik for a week in June.

Berlin & Hamburg for gig/football in July.

Off to Ibiza next Wednesday for a 40th birthday party. Week at a monster villa and stuff.

Going to Switzerland for a long weekend and a couple of Wedding Present gigs next month.

Nae sure aboot Xmas. Was thinking aboot Cape Town & Jo'burg. Recommended?

That's some list

Can't recommend Cape Town enough. Had probably the best holiday of my life there. I travelled along the western cape so didn't just stay in Cape Town. The beaches are amazing. Just watch out for sharks. If you want to see them go swimming with them - it's really cheap if you book it over there. You can easily book safaris there too and they are cheap although I would guess would involve a fair bit of travelling.

Robben Island worth seeing, although I got a bit bored, Cape of good hope is stunning, Climbed Table Mountain which gave you amazing views but also a sense of achievement, wine tasting is ridiculously cheap. I paid

Hope you find Frankfurt a bit better than me and my mates did, worst city I've been to by miles could be that we went midweek. Stayed one night as planned and wouldn't intend to go back. Full of junkies and beggars that hassle you a bit more than most other European cities.

If your just in it for Whores and German beer I'm sure it will suit you well.

I'm off to Oz in October. Melbourne to be precise. Never been to Oz and Aussies bug me, but I'm visiting one of my best mates so I'm sure it will be fine. Anyone got any must dos or sees?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I love Melbourne. It's a great place to visit, particularly because it has everything Perth doesn't have and vice-versa. I could never live there though. There are no beaches (you cannot call St. Kilda beach, a proper beach!) and the weather is crap. It's certainly an atypical Australian city and it's something the Victorians wear as a badge of honour. In my experience Victorians definitely look down their nose at the rest of Australia.

That being said, there's a bit more culture in Melbourne than the rest of Oz, and as good bar, nightlife, restaurant scene as any major city I've ever visited. You need a bit of local knowledge to source the best places, but I'm sure your friend can sort you out with that. The city is famous for it's laneways and cafes/pubs tucked away out of sight... but there is also heaps going on in various suburbs. My favourites are St. Kilda, Richmond and Fitzroy. Carlton has a fair bit going on too and Lygon St has some of the best Italian food you'll find outside of Italy!

My favourite thing about Mebourne is the sports... a visit to the MCG would be in order, however, as LGIR says, you just miss the footie season and it's too early for the cricket too! Also, you have the Grand Prix, Aus Open tennis and the Melbourne Cup at Flemington race course. However none of this during October!

If you are there for a while, I'd suggest organising a wine tour through the Yarra valley. Also, I'm told a tour through the Great Ocean Road is also brilliant. There are organised tours, which will take you away for a few days, or you could rent a car yourself. I've never done it myself, but I'm told, by anyone who's ever visited Victoria, that this is a particular highligh.

You really need a break min.

It'll do you the power of good.

Fit div ye mean "stuff" ?

I ken min. Well overdue.

Oooh. Stuff.

went to Jo'burg for 2 weeks for the world cup 2010. couldna recommend the place high enough, absolutely awesome place and nae trouble at all. theres anythin and everything to do, wether it be city nightlife or quiet few days safari or shoppin etc etc. class place!

as good as it was in Jo'burg, every local we spoke to, all very friendly and helpful, said next time we come back we should deffo go tae Cape Town as its beautiful. got amazin beaches and obviously Table Mountain etc. hopin to go back sometime soon and do a week in both.

That's some list

Can't recommend Cape Town enough. Had probably the best holiday of my life there. I travelled along the western cape so didn't just stay in Cape Town. The beaches are amazing. Just watch out for sharks. If you want to see them go swimming with them - it's really cheap if you book it over there. You can easily book safaris there too and they are cheap although I would guess would involve a fair bit of travelling.

Robben Island worth seeing, although I got a bit bored, Cape of good hope is stunning, Climbed Table Mountain which gave you amazing views but also a sense of achievement, wine tasting is ridiculously cheap. I paid

I love Melbourne. It's a great place to visit, particularly because it has everything Perth doesn't have and vice-versa. I could never live there though. There are no beaches (you cannot call St. Kilda beach, a proper beach!) and the weather is crap. It's certainly an atypical Australian city and it's something the Victorians wear as a badge of honour. In my experience Victorians definitely look down their nose at the rest of Australia.

That being said, there's a bit more culture in Melbourne than the rest of Oz, and as good bar, nightlife, restaurant scene as any major city I've ever visited. You need a bit of local knowledge to source the best places, but I'm sure your friend can sort you out with that. The city is famous for it's laneways and cafes/pubs tucked away out of sight... but there is also heaps going on in various suburbs. My favourites are St. Kilda, Richmond and Fitzroy. Carlton has a fair bit going on too and Lygon St has some of the best Italian food you'll find outside of Italy!

My favourite thing about Mebourne is the sports... a visit to the MCG would be in order, however, as LGIR says, you just miss the footie season and it's too early for the cricket too! Also, you have the Grand Prix, Aus Open tennis and the Melbourne Cup at Flemington race course. However none of this during October!

If you are there for a while, I'd suggest organising a wine tour through the Yarra valley. Also, I'm told a tour through the Great Ocean Road is also brilliant. There are organised tours, which will take you away for a few days, or you could rent a car yourself. I've never done it myself, but I'm told, by anyone who's ever visited Victoria, that this is a particular highligh.

Thanks for that SOTR. This has given me a few ideas. Will probably go off and tour somewhere. I don't want to stay continously at my mates for 2 weeks and I like going off on my own.

I ken min. Well overdue.

Oooh. Stuff.

Thanks both for the SA info.

Interesting. Fit time of year did you both go?

Gets quite cauld there (oor summer/their winter)?

Be decent enough during oor winter, aye?

Ha ha. Nae sure if she would. She'd probably see it as an opportuntiy for hersel'... :laughing:

Went April. It was roasting. Shorts and t shirts weather. It was supposed to be a bit colder but I don't think it gets really cold. I have a friend from Cape Town who lives here and she had never seen snow until she moved here. It will be scorching if you go at Xmas time. Forgot to add, given that it was roasting when I was there I got to see whales and dolphins, that was cool and I'm sure there would be plenty of them during the time you went.

I was over for the Scotland match a couple of years back.

Then found out een o' my favourite bands were playing a gig.

So changed flights and extended my stay.

Sounds similar in some ways to gig i was at. On Grona Lund on the island Djurgarden (sp).

A big amausement park wi' a stage in the middle. Cool.

It is indeed beautiful.

aye thats the one.

would love to see the city in the summer. had lots of fun wheni went (nov) but northern european cities tend to be completely different beasts in summer time.

Away to Sharm el-sheikh on Saturday for 2 weeks.

Was not my preferred destination of choice, but now the time is near, looking forward to it. by all accounts diving the coral reefs in the area is only bettered by Australia.

Quad biking into the Sinai Mountains to watch the sunrise, maybe come across some Egyptain Mujahideen to make it more interesting, If things get a bit out of hand, I will just name drop Tup to smooth things over.

I would like to see the Pyramids, but can not be arsed with sitting in a non air con bus for 6 hours in 40+ degrees for 6 hours, although internal flights are cheap. and unsafe.

Well my pre-trip concerns were totally unfounded.

Amazing trip, truly fantastic.

The quad trip into the Sinai desert and mountains was simply the best holiday experience to date, did the sunset trip, and ended up round a camp fire drinking tea with Bedouin people who live by the land in the Sinai, quite humbling that these people are living they way they are, the way they always have, with the extravagance of plentiful in Sharm-el-Sheikh which is so close to them.

Diving at Ras Mohammed, which was my first time at scuba diving, quality.

Turkish coffee, new to me as well,

Egyptian shave with the cut throat razor, which was also a first time.

And the food was simply stunning.

Well my pre-trip concerns were totally unfounded.

Amazing trip, truly fantastic.

The quad trip into the Sinai desert and mountains was simply the best holiday experience to date, did the sunset trip, and ended up round a camp fire drinking tea with Bedouin people who live by the land in the Sinai, quite humbling that these people are living they way they are, the way they always have, with the extravagance of plentiful in Sharm-el-Sheikh which is so close to them.

Diving at Ras Mohammed, which was my first time at scuba diving, quality.

Turkish coffee, new to me as well,

Egyptian shave with the cut throat razor, which was also a first time.

And the food was simply stunning.

A busman's holiday for me that.

Sounds like an ace holiday. Did they ask you for scuba certificates or did you go on a small course before they let you dive?

A busman's holiday for me that.

Sounds like an ace holiday. Did they ask you for scuba certificates or did you go on a small course before they let you dive?

laughing.gif

That would of been the 30 minutes of snorkling at the hotel pool, then the most basic of basic introduction at the jetty on the beach with the BA sets, to be honest, on site I was not diving very deep at all.

I think he got the wrong impression when he asked if I had used air under pressure before, little did he know I was on about the BA sets we use at the yearly fire team training...

As for the quad biking, I was pre warned before i went to do it, as it is an amazing experience, the visuals were stunning, and of course the Bedouin's we met were probably to a degree Western commercialized and get a back hander from the quad suppliers, however, IMO, it will stay with me for a long time, fantastic, when I get the pics sorted out il post them,