Wimbledon

Murray did his best. In the past he has annoyed me with his feigning injuries and the fact he seemed to just give up.

However I genuinely dont think he can be criticised for yesterday. Federer simply showed he may be the best ever , no disgrace in losing to that. Lets face it Djokovic was completely outplayed by Federer in the semi-final and he is hardly a loser!

• Upvote 3

Extremely proud of Murray. He gave it his best shot and as SOTR says hopefully he's not too disheartened for the US Open. He has to take the positives from yesterday and work on how he can improve his game. I actually think Lendl has been a massive help to him

• Upvote 1

Federer is the best tennis player ever to walk this planet, and yesterday he proved that, murray stayed with him for a set and a half, however he just hasnt got that acceleration in his game to push on, he's improved on last year, unfortunatley for murray he has 3 world class players to deal with, he's very good but a step down from the top 3.

Just caught the end of the "One Show"...they were having punters send in pics of folk having a "Murray Moment"...i.e caught on camera greeting.

For my money Murray acted like a complete "Joey Deakin" blubbing like a fem-boy...He's let the Country down big time...it was so embarrassing

^ This.

Agree with this comment from Tom Fordyce:

Federer was just better. Think Andy did everything right today - didn't show any nerves at the beginning and really took the game to Federer with some of the most aggressive tennis I've seen him play.

Just hope he's able to bounce back from this in time for the US Open.

In the semi and the final, Federer was in the kind of form that NO-ONE (except maybe, just maybe, Pete Sampras in his prime) could compete with. I would say that Andy has not only far from disgraced himself, he is terribly unlucky in that in ANY OTHER ERA, he would have had at least 3 Grand Slams by now. I would argue that he is better than many who won Wimbledon and other GS's in the past (Stich, Krajicek, Hewitt, Ivanisevic) and maybe even on-par with Edberg, Rafter and Agassi.

• Upvote 1

In the semi and the final, Federer was in the kind of form that NO-ONE (except maybe, just maybe, Pete Sampras in his prime) could compete with. I would say that Andy has not only far from disgraced himself, he is terribly unlucky in that in ANY OTHER ERA, he would have had at least 3 Grand Slams by now. I would argue that he is better than many who won Wimbledon and other GS's in the past (Stich, Krajicek, Hewitt, Ivanisevic) and maybe even on-par with Edberg, Rafter and Agassi.

Well said Jocky, at least you speak common sense :applause:

I'd include Roddick, Kuerten, Courier, Ferrero, Marat Safin!

It's just a shame he can't serve for beans. But yeh it's fairly obvious that if Murray was on the scene at the same time as Henman, for example, he'd have won a slam at minimum.

I still think he can, and will, win a slam. Hopefully Wimbledon if only to piss off those who would absolutely hate it(many of them Scottish, English).

Have any of you heard the term treeing in relation to a tennis player? The short of it is playing way above your normal skill level, in the zone if you like. Case in point, Rosol versus Nadal this year. Will no doubt never happen again, but if for no other reason than this is possible gives a player of Andy's rank and skill a very real chance of winning a Slam.

Indeed I think but for the delay and the closing of the roof, I think he'd be Wimbledon champion now.

Ohh and crying in a moment of raw emotion is not something to criticise someone for. We're not fucking samurais.

I'd include Roddick, Kuerten, Courier, Ferrero, Marat Safin!

It's just a shame he can't serve for beans. But yeh it's fairly obvious that if Murray was on the scene at the same time as Henman, for example, he'd have won a slam at minimum.

I still think he can, and will, win a slam. Hopefully Wimbledon if only to piss off those who would absolutely hate it(many of them Scottish, English).

Have any of you heard the term treeing in relation to a tennis player? The short of it is playing way above your normal skill level, in the zone if you like. Case in point, Rosol versus Nadal this year. Will no doubt never happen again, but if for no other reason than this is possible gives a player of Andy's rank and skill a very real chance of winning a Slam.

Indeed I think but for the delay and the closing of the roof, I think he'd be Wimbledon champion now.

Ohh and crying in a moment of raw emotion is not something to criticise someone for. We're not fucking samurais.

Speak for yourself :ninja: :millertime:

In all seriousness though good post, it was inevitable that Rosol was going to lose in straight sets in the next round after playing the game of his life.

You're spot on about his serve also, when he gets it going he's near unbeatable because of his great return of serve ability but he's perpetually let down by his inconsistency on his own serve.

Speak for yourself :ninja: :millertime:

In all seriousness though good post, it was inevitable that Rosol was going to lose in straight sets in the next round after playing the game of his life.

You're spot on about his serve also, when he gets it going he's near unbeatable because of his great return of serve ability but he's perpetually let down by his inconsistency on his own serve.

Well that's exactly it, if he strings together a few days where he's serving at the top of his range then he can win any tournament. The caveat being he needs Fed, Djoko or Nadal to not be performing at the top of their range at the same time. :)

Just caught the end of the "One Show"...they were having punters send in pics of folk having a "Murray Moment"...i.e caught on camera greeting.

For my money Murray acted like a complete "Joey Deakin" blubbing like a fem-boy...He's let the Country down big time...it was so embarrassing

Agreed but birds are loving it...bound to be cash in it for him

I can safely say I don't think Andy Murray will win a Slam.

Once Federer goes which will be soon enough given the age of the man, then there are Del Potro, Tsonga, Rafa and Djokovic who would easily beat Andy Murray.......you'll also get the influx of young players coming through with something to prove like Andy had when he came on the scene.

I don't personally believe he'll win one.

He'll win one eventually.

He's better than Del Potro (he's lost his way) and Tsonga. Rafa and Djoko aren't going to win every slam after Fed retires.