Controversial

I do agree that the football we're playing is a lot better though. That's meaningless without an end product, unfortunately.

Is it meaningless? I wholeheartedly agree that getting the points would make the performances all the more enjoyable, and blatantly at the moment we are lacking goals. But why do people go to Pittodrie? Yes, we want success, and that is integral to the overall enjoyment but, given that the performances are attack-minded, enjoyable and with two old fashioned wingers the likes of which haven't been seen around Pittodrie for god knows how long, why the negativity? Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that we will start picking up points, there's not been a team that I can remember who have dominated games consistently and gone the whole season drawing every game. But for the time being, while that's not happening, and we're 'only' dominating teams who last season consistently outperformed us, can we not enjoy it and back the team?

• Upvote 1

Now then... here I'm going to take issue. Because really this is the only point of contention, and the point of the OP.

Over the course of the season things like 'luck' and 'the run of the ball' will tend to even out.

I actually agree with you, but in my view it has taken until now, to get a team on the pitch that he can be judged on. Getting rid of the dross, bringing in some genuine quality (particularly impressed with Hayes and Naismith) and now they are clicking.

I agree that the 9th place finishes can't and should'n't be put down to bad luck, but the 3 draws this season can. Bad luck isn't a justifiable excuse for a bad season, but it is a justifiable excuse for a bad start.

I genuinely think that a lot of behind the scenes limitations and politics have as much to do with last seasons poor performance, as well as a period of cleaning house.

If the ball doesn't start going in the back of the net soon, then it's time to look for underlying problems, but for the moment I think the reaction should be well doen to Jack and Victor for putting a team on the field that plays attractive, positive football and hopefully the results will start to come.

The reaction certainly SHOULDN'T be to criticise and get rid.

That was my point really

• Upvote 3

I keep seeing comments and threads about "Brown must go" and "who should Brown be replaced by"

Now, I'll start by saying I'm as pissed off as anyone else about the inability to score, the guff goalkeeping at Celtink park, and the constant bringing on od Christina as a sub, but...

I've been to every home game this season, and frankly we've been playing nice attacking football, looking dangerous, but the ball just hasn't been going in the net.

Now that would be a much bigger issue if it wasn't for the fact that in the last 3 home games there have been at least 6 shots cleared almost literally off the line, and 3 that have rattled off the crossbar (2 of which were yesterday and I would have sworn were goals at the time).

What this shows is that we "possibly" need a better goal "taker" or someone that can shoot from distance, but Vernon has been getting on the end of things, but just not finishing.

So, I'll subscribe to the "we need a goal scorer" argument, but Craig Brown probably agrees, but he can't just pull one out of his arse, there's nae money to get one in. If McGinn hadn't gotten injured, who knows, it might have been him and there might have been a nice combination of him as a dep lying forward, and Vernon with a bit more support, having a bit more luck.

I guess what I'm saying is that being in a place where we're dissapponted with draws against Hearts because we played them off the field is a hell of an improvement on recent seasons, especially if with a bit of different luck/breaks and without Clangers howler we could have been sitting near, or top of the table.

I still reckon Brown os doing a good job within major limitations, and I'm willing to stay behind him and the team for a while longer before starting to lose faith.

I'm just putting this out there, but does anyone agree, or are the general thoughts to jump on the "Brown must go" bandwagon.......

Porterfield must go, Smith must go, Miller must go, Aitken must go ... and then we know where that trend got us.

Cracking post. A voice of sanity amongst a sea of ignorant mentalists on here (Stoney et al)

Heap of shite, Craig Brown has had fantastic backing from the board. We've built a team which wont get beat, but its also going to struggle to put the ball in the net, as has been the case so far this season and the bulk of the last.

You make your own luck in this game and if you dont have the balls to play two up front at home then you arnt going to win games.

Browns style of football is outdated and only going to serve us well avoiding relegation.

Time to get rid and look to the future.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Heap of shite, Craig Brown has had fantastic backing from the board. We've built a team which wont get beat, but its also going to struggle to put the ball in the net, as has been the case so far this season and the bulk of the last.

You make your own luck in this game and if you dont have the balls to play two up front at home then you arnt going to win games.

Browns style of football is outdated and only going to serve us well avoiding relegation.

Centre forward and two wingers is three up front isn't it?

But it's not working. The system isn't working and neither is our main target man.

Main problem with the system is lack of support to the front man as we're always playing two sitting midfielders and one advanced. Should be the other way around. Means Vernon is constantly outnumbered in the box. When he has been getting free he's been utterly hoop as well.

Main problem with the system is lack of support to the front man as we're always playing two sitting midfielders and one advanced. Should be the other way around. Means Vernon is constantly outnumbered in the box. When he has been getting free he's been utterly hoop as well.

weve created enough clear cut chances in all our home games to have won them by 2 clear goals, a marked improvement on the last 3-4 seasons, we are 3 points off the top...no panic fae here.

Always feel that at home we should be playing with width and 2 strikers

playing as strikers, penalty box players who can score.

We get the lone striker and little wonder he struggles.

From 11 back defending dead balls to the one striker it comes across as Brown

mainly being concerned in avoiding defeat.

I don't put the lack of goals totally down to bad luck, the manager must take

his share of responsibility.

The argument between 433 and 451 is tiresome to say the least. The whole point is that the team should be fluid between the two, so the wingers support the attack when we are in possession but also get back when we don't have it.

That part of our play is working fine. Hayes and Fraser being two our top performers in the home games. Vernon and the support from the centre of the park need sorted and then it will work.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The argument between 433 and 451 is tiresome to say the least. The whole point is that the team should be fluid between the two, so the wingers support the attack when we are in possession but also get back when we don't have it.

That part of our play is working fine. Hayes and Fraser being two our top performers in the home games. Vernon and the support from the centre of the park need sorted and then it will work.

Correct

Always feel that at home we should be playing with width and 2 strikers

playing as strikers, penalty box players who can score.

We get the lone striker and little wonder he struggles.

From 11 back defending dead balls to the one striker it comes across as Brown

mainly being concerned in avoiding defeat.

I don't put the lack of goals totally down to bad luck, the manager must take

his share of responsibility.

Aye, I still don't get the defending corner pish. Unless you're going to pass it out of the back Barca style then you've got to have at least one man up the park to try and hold the ball up.

Keeping all the men back is less effective defensively as it invites the second wave of pressure after the corner's cleared.

Aye, I still don't get the defending corner pish. Unless you're going to pass it out of the back Barca style then you've got to have at least one man up the park to try and hold the ball up.

Keeping all the men back is less effective defensively as it invites the second wave of pressure after the corner's cleared.

It just invites all the opposition giants to be attacking us.

Why we can't leave 3 up front when defending a dead ball is beyond me coz

it would mean their keeper and at least 3 defenders would have to stay back.

It just invites all the opposition giants to be attacking us.

Why we can't leave 3 up front when defending a dead ball is beyond me coz

it would mean their keeper and at least 3 defenders would have to stay back.

Correct. Even leaving 1 up front would make the opposition think of leaving two back as they wouldn't chance one on one.

Blunderwood was a big fan of everyone back for corners. Enough said.

Blunderwood was a big fan of everyone back for corners. Enough said.

When he was criticised for that he said that it was not an instruction from him

and the players did it automatically.

We aint Barcelona but common sense says you make it hard for the opposition

and not simply invite them to attack.

I may not agree with all Craig Brown's team selections and tactics but i find this a very strange argument to make - I would suggest that the worst half of football we have had so far this season was the 1st half against Ross County when we tried to play 2 up front. There was little or no excitement. McGinn then got injured so we threw on Fraser, we started to control the game. We won the ball back quicker, we passed it better we had width in our game. Overall we played much better and looked far more like we could win the game with a 433 (or 451 if thats what you prefer to call it) than we had done earlier with your conventional 2 up front.

Also, if you look at the systems played my most modern day coaches at the top levels in most countries l think you would find that very few play a 2 up front system that you are advocating. Maybe it is your views and ideas that are outdated.

Time for you to catch up with modern day football. It seems that even old Pa Broon is trying it out just now maybe a fellow old-timer like yourself might be converted in time too :-)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If people want two up front then they should be aware we'll be less dominant overall, and thus the wingers may well have less opportunities as a result.

I'd go with it though, as we've plenty of options to earn their wage alongside Vernon, including the youth.

I dont think thats the case, i think two up front and our wingers would have more opertunities as the opposition are penned back, takes there full backs out of the game, also means they are more than likely going to play a holding midfielder for extra cover.

We need to take the game to teams coming up here, playing a lone striker in the this league is pretty pointless.

This was all information we learned last season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

We are a far, far better team now than we were this time last year.

Almost all of the other clubs outwith Celtic are going backwards (Hearts, Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone, Caley) or stagnating (United, St Mirren, Hibs).

I'll stick my neck out and say we should manage 2nd place by some distance come next May.

We are a far, far better team now than we were this time last year.

Almost all of the other clubs outwith Celtic are going backwards (Hearts, Motherwell, Killie, St Johnstone, Caley) or stagnating (United, St Mirren, Hibs).

I'll stick my neck out and say we should manage 2nd place by some distance come next May.

By sticking your neck out do you mean we should be marking your words? :thumbs:

• Downvote 1

What I'm meaning is fairly straightforward.

We've been rubbish for what seems like ages.

Now we're not rubbish any more, and actually look like a proper football team.

I don't have any worries at all about this season being a huge improvement based on our performances so far, we've outplayed every team we've come up against and that includes Celtic at Parkhead.

What I'm meaning is fairly straightforward.

We've been rubbish for what seems like ages.

Now we're not rubbish any more, and actually look like a proper football team.

I don't have any worries at all about this season being a huge improvement based on our performances so far, we've outplayed every team we've come up against and that includes Celtic at Parkhead.

Totally agree,

we are but one simple tactical change away from being the best side in this league.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I dont think thats the case, i think two up front and our wingers would have more opertunities as the opposition are penned back, takes there full backs out of the game, also means they are more than likely going to play a holding midfielder for extra cover.

We need to take the game to teams coming up here, playing a lone striker in the this league is pretty pointless.

This was all information we learned last season.

Like we did on Saturday you mean? With our 3 forwards?