Holiday 2013 Thread

I fancy somewhere freezing, windy, with miserable bastards of inhabitants.

Somewhere I can get pish service at inflated prices. Somewhere that the choice of good quality restaurants can be counted on the four toes of the local inbreds.

Somewhere I can watch a game of sclaffball between two barely professional fitba teams, and pay around 20-25 quid for the privilege, but can I fuck sit with a beer, no.

Somewhere I can't swim in the water in case I get hypothermia, nor sit on the beach without a force 10 gale blowing me along the sand like a human tumbleweed.

Somewhere I can be attacked by renegade seagulls if I so much as open a bag of crisps, and somewhere I have to learn, say, Polish, to be able to communicate with 50% of the population.

Somewhere that the roads are narrower than a Hun's foreheid, and roadside services are non-existent should I smash my motor up a fucking mountain.

Somewhere so tribal that even adjacent towns, separated by nothing more than a field of coos, will batter the shite out of one another if one of them strays onto the other's territory.

Somewhere the coppers are more likely to hassle you if you're OBEYING the law, rather than breaking it.

And somewhere I can get a meal so fatty that I can guarantee a trip to the local hospital's cardiac arrest unit within 20 minutes of finishing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrB8Ahpwbdk

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Always wanted to go so would be a decent way to bring in having to maybe consider possibly having to grow up a bit.

I understand what those words mean individually, but when you put them in that order I'm having a wee bit of a problem understanding what they mean collectively.

:spanner:

Definitely not the best city in the world, granted. But not the worst by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're so full of contempt for the place you grew up, why bother continually conversing via interweb with the unenlighted, small minded fucks who live here by choice?

I can only assume it's a longing to keep in touch with your roots?

Arrogant prick.

:hysterical:

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, but you're for sure not the brightest, so I'll excuse your lack of wit, comprehension and civility :)

I'm also guessing your ill-temper is down to sexual frustration at not having been wanked off by an Indian dude of late, so that's two reasons you're not a happy chappy, eh?

why bother continually conversing via interweb with the unenlighted, small minded fucks who live here by choice?

I take it you're only talking for yourself, there. And how often have you seen me try to start a conversation with you? So you've answered your own question really, even if you don't know it :).

:checkit:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I dunno yet but thinking of giving myself a trip to Japan for my 30th. Always wanted to go so would be a decent way to bring in having to maybe consider possibly having to grow up a bit.

Amazingly weird place to go. I loved it but my God it's weird. They are so racist yet unbelievably polite. They are so technologically advanced yet so old fashioned. I was backpacking so stayed in hostels most of the time but they were like palaces. Tokyo is suffocating but great to experience in short bursts.

Amazingly weird place to go. I loved it but my God it's weird. They are so racist yet unbelievably polite. They are so technologically advanced yet so old fashioned. I was backpacking so stayed in hostels most of the time but they were like palaces. Tokyo is suffocating but great to experience in short bursts.

Have heard that and read Hokkaido Highway Blues. Just seems like a place that makes sure it's not influenced too much by western society (relatively, by force of will and perhaps a slice of racism). So is very different but also advanced and a bit mental.

Where's everyone going? Or thinking about going to?

Nothing booked at all. Hopefully back to Oz in the summer and maybe a bit of time in Bali but the more people I hear talk about the less impressed I get.

Bali is strange one. The island itself is beautiful, but some of the more heavily populated tourists areas are, in my opinion, absolute hell-holes. I cannot stand Kuta - it is Perths answer to Faliraki. Because we're so far away from any other civilisation, including the other major Australian cities, Bali is the place where half of Perth decamps to on holiday. The main attraction is the price of drink. If you are from Perth, you have become accustomed to paying $10 for a pint - in bali a pint will cost you $1. Kuta is just full of partying teenagers and slack-jawed Aussies attempting to drink as much cheap beer as they can, all day, every day.

If you are taking the time and expense to come to Australia then the last place I'd waste my time in is Bali.

Thanks for the info SOTR.

I would probably be coming from Hong Kong as I'm visiting a mate there and then doing a bit of travelling with her. I might rethink & fly to Oz and just meet her there at some point. I'd much rather see some of New Zealand or Tasmania to be honest.

Yeah, I'm probably being a bit harsh. Last time I was there was a stagger a couple of months back. After 3 days I couldn't wait to get home - I was based in Kuta. The time before that, I had a much better time, when I got out exploring the island. To be fair, you could even get somewhere in Seminyak, which would be a good base and a comfortable distance from the great unwashed. Sanur, Ubud, Nusa Dua and Jimbaran bay are all really nice and would also offer a good base. One of my pals was over in the gili isles recently - he reckons there was some good scuba diving over there... if that's your thing.

The big bonus you also have with Bali is that it is incredibly cheap. You can live like a king on a shoe-string.

Thanks. My mate is very much into scuba diving so I'll certainly pass it on. I would be too. Tried it once and loved it but I'm epileptic so couldn't progress with it.

Was in Indonesia in the summer. The resort was ridiculously expensive but once we escaped it the island was unbelievably cheap. I'd really like to see more of the country someday. It seems to have such a varied landscape.

I'm hoping to organise a wee lads break to Germany or Italy and get tickets for a game, see what everyone fancies when it comes to doing it.

I did think of Mexico with the wife, but not sure...we'll have a 2 weeker somewhere I'm sure though.

Sore one at the end of the month with 2 weeks day rate not on the invoice ;)

i thought it was brilliant.

youre right about the politeness. these little old ladies from the ryokan waving us off down the road in the taxi.

some of the food i had there was unbelievable.

Sorry Bloots. What I meant to say was that folk should go to Venice and experience the local culture and cuisine, by finding an Engish bar with Sky Sports on it and watching Southampton v QPR and eating steak pie & chips.

exactly.

english football is the best in the world so why on earth would you watch the local fare when in spain, italy or any other banana republic for that matter.

nae need for pie and chips though, can have that when youre at home. in italy i always eat local - pizza hut.