Holiday 2013 Thread

Bringing in the new year in Bucharest. Somewhere a bit different. And they have a resort not far away so can go snowboarding :dancin: I'd imagine it will be very underdeveloped though.

going next week to bucharest for work, will let you know how I get on, in warsaw right now, what a shithole!

going next week to bucharest for work, will let you know how I get on, in warsaw right now, what a shithole!

was in bucarest last year.

pleasantly surprised.

also centured out to brasov in dracula country.

nae bad for an eastern european shithole.

plenty dog roaming about. and gyppos too

Cheers guys. Going to head out to Dracula country I think too. I take it the city is quite cheap to drink and eat out?

I quite fancy the idea of Istanbul.

Anyone been there?

Yes. Was there in Feb. Freezing it was, but beautiful place in a kind of run down, shabby way. Place is huge so make sure you stay somewhere central. Lots of their mosques are beautiful. You can't avoid being next to one though with their wake up calls of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR That's annoying.

what i lije about colognost was the xmas markets whichh are missing at the other two or at least not as good.

also the beer halls and the fact its less touristy.

munster is good too although very much on the smaller end of the scale

Maybe cos it wasn't Christmas time?? I was in Berlin for 4 days (18th-22nd) before Xmas last year and there were markets everywhere!

Maybe cos it wasn't Christmas time?? I was in Berlin for 4 days (18th-22nd) before Xmas last year and there were markets everywhere!

the bit you didnt highlinght in bold gives the complete story ;-)

i had NY there last year and aye there were markets. they just werent anywhere near as good as colognes markets.

Thinking possibly Sorrento with the Mrs in spring, anyone been before?

I was there for 9 nights after staying in Rome for 5 nights, I thought it was amazing.

Depends where you stay in Sorrento, we were high up the hillside in a quiet hotel which is what we wanted. You can be closer to the town if you want though. I loved sorrento as it wasn't too busy or loud after spending 5 nights in Rome.

a visit to Pompeii and Vesuvius is a must if you go to Sorrento. Naples is also near by but its a fucking shit hole.

In fairness the Christmas markets in Germany are always a great atmosphere with decent food and drink. I thought if you've seen one you'd have seen them all but it seems Cologne is amazing...

That Jager Tea is fucking awful though

i didnt say it was amazing. just said they werebetter than berlins. i had a brilliant time, but that doesnt mean someone else will.

gluhwine is fine.

What else would a Christmas market sell other than tat? Santa hats and cheap tree decorations all round, 2 furra euro.

ha ha true.

never buy anything there though aside from a token bauble or something, one per visit, as a momento.

always spend a fortune on food and especially drink though.

last year went to antwerps xmas market.

didnt think it was great but the weatehr was poor. great city though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PeePaw16

Hoping to see more of Europe - and have sketched out a rough route:

Day 1: fly from Aberdeen to Frankfurt

Days 2-3: Frankfurt

Days 3-6: Munich (start of rail card)

Days 6-8: Zurich

Days 8-11: Milan

Day 11: stop-off in Turin

Days 11-14: Monaco

Days 14-15: Nice (end of rail card)

Day 15: fly back to Aberdeen from Nice via Frankfurt

Open to substituting some cities based on the recomendations of others, if it doesn't mean big detours (i.e. the less time spent travelling between places the better).

Might just travel myself, in Spring/Summer time, looking for a big mix of towns/cities - modern, good nightlife etc and older, cultured, chilled out. Taking in some sports would be good - a football match or two.

Also, interested to hear opinions on European rail cards and the options folk have used in the past.