Thumbing A Lift

tup

You never seem to see many folk thumbing a lift these days.

Would you accept a lift off a stranger?

Would you pick up a stranger who's looking for a lift?

Yes is my answer. No bother.

To the former question, I have in my youth. No need these days with a cell phone always on hand to call someone with a car if i'm stuck.

And to the latter, yes, i have. But depends where. And it hasn't happened often.

Kind of like would you invite the Car jacker into the car...wise the fu*k up tup...It's nae the 1950's

I have in my youth. No need these days with a cell phone always on hand to call someone with a car if i'm stuck.

And yes, i have. But depends where. And it hasn't happened often.

Not so easy for a woman what with potential Peter Tobin's lurking on every corner*

* this is a joke. I don't think the world is overrun by paedophiles and sexual deviants.

Thumbing :gay:

There is no way on earth I'd pick up a hitchiker, purely for the reason that they will most likely smell, more than anything.

I'm in Egypt just now and all you see is folk cutting about at the side of the road and they will always get picked up by folk in people carriers for a small fee, a novel idea. Although, Egypt is in turmoil just now and most cunts are skint over here.

Kind of like would you invite the Car jacker into the car...wise the fu*k up tup...It's nae the 1950's

You've been living in a backward Eastern European country for too long.

I trust my fellow man, otherwise how is he going to be able to trust me?

It's a two way street.

Not so easy for a woman what with potential Peter Tobin's lurking on every corner*

* this is a joke. I don't think the world is overrun by paedophiles and sexual deviants.

"Peter Tobins" could be anywhere. most people are just regular, nice people. only once, while a friend and i nabbed a ride from an older gentleman, did we have a small issue. easy enough to just say "thanks for the ride" and hop out at the next set of lights.

that said, i wasn't keen on making a habit of doing it. much easier to just start dating boys that had their own cars. :sheepdance:

You've been living in a backward Eastern European country for too long.

I trust my fellow man, otherwise how is he going to be able to trust me?

It's a two way street.

Aye well like you said...It would be a two way street...me one way with my car and sanity in tact... the Car jacker/loony/pikey the other way waiting for a potential victim/simpleton/mannie from the past, to turn up.

Cynicism breeds cynicism redstar min.

As I said, it may well be like a game of Grand Theft Auto in downtown Baku, but it's really not like that in Scotland, at least not until you get nearer the Central Belt.

I'm just talking about a quick and easy way to get from A to B with the minimum of fuss.

I'm also highlighting snobbery here, nothing worse than a man who thinks his car (a lump of metal) is more precious to him than some human interaction.

is there really a need to thumb a lift these days anyway? most people have access to a cell phone. they can call someone they know to come get them.

and if you're thumbing a ride cross-country because you're short of cash, save up more before you go on your trek. no?

That's why I asked whether it's a thing of the past.

The one mannie I did often give a lift to was polite and courteous beyond the call of duty, but he was definitely short of cash, which meant I was doing him a huge favour by picking him up, which means more to me than any amount of money could.

• Upvote 1

That's why I asked whether it's a thing of the past.

The one mannie I did often give a lift to was polite and courteous beyond the call of duty, but he was definitely short of cash, which meant I was doing him a huge favour by picking him up, which means more to me than any amount of money could.

always on the same route? i might. if i were a man. call it sexist, but as a lone woman driver, i'm not picking up a guy on the side of the road these days. i'll use my cell phone to call someone for him.

always on the same route? i might. if i were a man. call it sexist, but as a lone woman driver, i'm not picking up a guy on the side of the road these days. i'll use my cell phone to call someone for him.

Aye, always on the same route.

Plenty of folk just drive on by him.

I don't think he'd expect a woman on her own to pick him up because of the awkwardness factor.

It seems it's quite a quirky thing to do at all these days though judging by the reaction.

He is a bit down on his luck it has to be said.

There are no strangers up your way. Plenty strange, inbred, pagan nude ritual participants but no strangers. Well, there's strange, inbred, pagan nude ritual participants and tourists but the tourists are easy spot and quickly chased out so that just leaves the strange, inbred, pagan nude ritual participants but no strangers.

So while I applaud your good nature and generosity I do wonder if its bourn from the knowledge that you will in fact never meet a 'stranger'.

Anyway, no and only if she was fit.

There are no strangers up your way. Plenty strange, inbred, pagan nude ritual participants but no strangers. Well, there's strange, inbred, pagan nude ritual participants and tourists but the tourists are easy spot and quickly chased out so that just leaves the strange, inbred, pagan nude ritual participants but no strangers.

So while I applaud your good nature and generosity I do wonder if its bourn from the knowledge that you will in fact never meet a 'stranger'.

Anyway, no and only if she was fit.

This.

Different mentality in the big city from the small village Tup. More selfish and fearful, but it's a price we have to pay for civilisation and getting to football games on a regular basis.

Once I did stop for a hitchhiker, was driving with my mates. Then we realised that we already had 5 people in the car so sped up and drove off as she approached the car. A very dumb moment but very funny also. Never hitch hiked in the UK, did it in Cuba though. Chucked on the trailer of a tractor, no English spoken, but I got home eventually.

Hitched a lift a few times as a teenager but not for a long time.

Picked up a few hitchers in recent years too- all turned out to be foreign students on their way to work on farms for the summer- including 2 hot young Czech birds one time who were very grateful for the lift...

Couple of Czechs, you say?

Was there a Money shot involved at any point?

Was your performance Sterling?

Were you on Euro-n, or did you have help?

Did they leave any Marks on the seats?

Did you give them both a Real Pound or just the Yuan?

Did you get your Dong (Jesus, seriously?) up her Colon (hahahaha... no fucking way)... surely you made those last two up, Kelt, min.

• Upvote 2

July 1985 was the last time I hitch-hiked. Did it for about 2 weeks with my old man around Scotland.

A poor bastards holiday but character building and actually ended up being a lot of fun (even if there was a shit load of walking involved): hitch-hiking and staying in youth hostels.

I know it was July 85 because we set off on the day Live Aid was on.

Would I pick up a hitch-hiker? These days nope. In the past I have though.

Would I hitch-hike these days? Not a chance.