Thumbing A Lift

tup

July 1985 was the last time I hitch-hiked. Did it for about 2 weeks with my old man around Scotland.

A poor bastards holiday but character building and actually ended up being a lot of fun (even if there was a shit load of wanking involved): hitch-hiking and staying in youth hostels.

Jesus min, too much information spunk.gif

When I was 17 I had a bird who lived out between Banchory and Kincardine ONeill. The last bus came by at like 2330 and I had to walk doon her drive in total darkness and use the light from my phone to flag the bus doon. Onywai, een night the bus wint right past me and instead of going back to hers and waking her folks up I just started walking to Banchory to get a taxi. Anyway, this ancient Volvo estate drives by and stops doon the road, as I approach the guy wound down his window and asked where I was going etc. Turns oot he was going to Aberdeen, at 2330 at night to wait for the first ferry to Orkney the next day. He had all his possessions in the car, piles of black bags in the boot, back seat, obviously a total fruitloop. At this age I was quite into pills, I wasnt really thinking straight. What the heck, whats the worst that could happen. In I got. We got through Banchory and I started feeling quite uneasy, I canna mind his chat, but it wiznae richt. His windscreen was steaming up and he asked me to climb over into the boot and get a rag out of one of the bags. I honestly thought my life was over at that point. However he wiped the windscreen, bucked up his ideas and turned oot to be great banter. I can only assume he is in jail now like. But I lived, though unfortunately dont have that bird anymore, she was bendy. Still, musnt grumble.

When I was 17 I had a bird who lived out between Banchory and Kincardine ONeill. The last bus came by at like 2330 and I had to walk doon her drive in total darkness and use the light from my phone to flag the bus doon. Onywai, een night the bus wint right past me and instead of going back to hers and waking her folks up I just started walking to Banchory to get a taxi. Anyway, this ancient Volvo estate drives by and stops doon the road, as I approach the guy wound down his window and asked where I was going etc. Turns oot he was going to Aberdeen, at 2330 at night to wait for the first ferry to Orkney the next day. He had all his possessions in the car, piles of black bags in the boot, back seat, obviously a total fruitloop. At this age I was quite into pills, I wasnt really thinking straight. What the heck, whats the worst that could happen. In I got. We got through Banchory and I started feeling quite uneasy, I canna mind his chat, but it wiznae richt. His windscreen was steaming up and he asked me to climb over into the boot and get a rag out of one of the bags. I honestly thought my life was over at that point. However he wiped the windscreen, bucked up his ideas and turned oot to be great banter. I can only assume he is in jail now like. But I lived, though unfortunately dont have that bird anymore, she was bendy. Still, musnt grumble.

Harcus?

Couple of Czechs, you say?

Was there a Money shot involved at any point?

Was your performance Sterling?

Were you on Euro-n, or did you have help?

Did they leave any Marks on the seats?

Did you give them both a Real Pound or just the Yuan?

Did you get your Dong (Jesus, seriously?) up her Colon (hahahaha... no fucking way)... surely you made those last two up, Kelt, min.

Brno

Got loads of hitch-hiking stories for a couple of reasons:

i) I used to hitch hike a lot because I was usually skint

ii) Picked up hitch-hikers a lot over the years because I know what it's like to be standing waiting for ages for a lift

Don't pick them up any more because you don't see them. Used to hitch mainly because I was going a long way and had nae money to pay for a train / bus / petrol (aye, used to hitch even when I owned a car). Got hunners of stories, which would you like first? Here's four options, nae doing them all:

The 18 hours Cornwall to Leicester with the weirdo and his fluffy windscreen toys; or

The Granda's funeral overnighter - 450 miles including a great lift from Tebay to Aberdeen - but the hun cunt made me walk the last 2 miles; or

Peter D'Savaray's (sp?) son trying on the poofer stuff? or

The smelly fuck that wouldn't get out my car at Arbroath turn off so me and my mate had to physically remove him.

ii) Picked up hitch-hikers a lot over the years because I know what it's like to be standing waiting for ages for a lift

Don't pick them up any more because you don't see them. Used to hitch mainly because I was going a long way and had nae money to pay for a train / bus / petrol (aye, used to hitch even when I owned a car). Got hunners of stories, which would you like first? Here's four options, nae doing them all:

The 18 hours Cornwall to Leicester with the weirdo and his fluffy windscreen toys; or

The Granda's funeral overnighter - 450 miles including a great lift from Tebay to Aberdeen - but the hun cunt made me walk the last 2 miles; or

The smelly fuck that wouldn't get out my car at Arbroath turn off so me and my mate had to physically remove him.

this one please? :)

this one please? :)

Ok, LGIR, here we go.

I had nae cash and was stranded with a broken down car in a place called Lutterworth in the Midlands. I had spent a couple of nights with a mate I knew, waiting for a 2nd hand car part to arrive from Yorkshire. At the pub one night (used to live off a bar tab that only had to be settled monthly) I got a call from my Grandma to say that my Granda was really ill. A few hours and several calls to the pub later (remember the days before mobiles) and it turns out my Granda passed away in Woodend. I decided right then that if the car part didn't arrive the next morning I would hitch to Aberdeen. Next morning the car part arrives (brake caliper for the petrol heads reading). Damn and fucking blast though, they've sent the wrong one. I am now left with nae money, a broken car and some spare parts I don't need. My mate's old man then offers to give me a lift to Rugby - where the M6 begins. I go down there and stick out my thumb. After a series of 2 or 3 junction lifts I eventually get picked up by some bleezer who is going all the way to the Lake District. I am over the moon, except the bloke driving is drinking straight spirits from a Coke can (nice gold coloured BMW though). I know it was drink because he offered me a scoof. He was also all over the shop. Eventually we get to Tebay Services in decent time. This was before they were done up and there was a few miles between the Southbound and Northbound services. He had dropped me off at the Southbound services, saying they were the only ones. I had a bit of cardboard box I'd written "Aberdeen" on with a marker pen. After standing at the road for an hour or two with the cardboard sign held out, someone stopped to tell me I was wasting my time and I would have to cross the motorway and walk a couple of miles North to have a chance of getting a lift to Scotland. I done this, but the time I get there it is late as fuck and no-one passing. I decide to have a kip inside the services, but balance the cardboard sign against my leg so that anyone coming into the services for a piss will see where I'm going. Hadn't been sleeping even half an hour when this weegie type with a 'tache wakes me up and says he's going North. He's driving a flower delivery van, on his way back to Glasgow from Manchester. Anyway, turns out he's a hun. I don't mention my distaste for his type, because I'm happy gaining miles. He drops me off at a flower market in Glasgow, but then gets a hold of his younger brother who is picking up a load to deliver in Aberdeen. The wee brother then gets no choice but to drive me up the road on his older brars instruction. He's nae the happiest about this because he was bringing his skanky weej bird with him, probably had designs on motorway delights. He can't really do anything about it though - anyway, on the way it turns out he's a season ticket holder at Iprix. His bird is too. They start slagging off Aberdeen nae handy - obviously don't like us - though to be fair about the worst they could say at the time was that Andy Roddie was "too wee to be playin' fitba". I hold my tongue all the way until we're coming over the hill at Kincorth. I can see home from there and have come a long way since the previous morning. I let go and start telling them what I really think about the huns, their fans, their stupid ugly faces and for fucks sake who would drive a van delivering flowers? Once he realise I'm slagging him and his bumfaced bird off he drops me off at his 2nd delivery point - the Hutcheon Street shoppie. I get out and walk the last two miles to my Grandma's hoose - in plenty time for my Granda's funeral.

Once missed the last bus from Callendar to Stirling. I wasn't actively hitching but got a wee lift half of the last 15 miles, a dram of whisky and a mars bar. Very decent of the lads that stopped for me.

I pick up hitchers if I have room and am not just nipping to the shop.

No problem with it.

you've got a kind heart BC.

but didn't your mother teach you to never accept candy from strangers? :nono:

Next up...

I'd pick up someone, nae bother.

Fairly confident I could handle myself if they acted the cunt.

I doubt I'd ever hitch hike myself though, but then again I'm not a pikey.

Anyway, fit are all these LGIR pictures that abody is mentioning in the awards thread? Have I missed something? :o:omg:

my earlier avatar pictures. or they're pulling your leg. and no you are not. :(

would you give a lift to more than just one person though? i'd be cautious of having someone sitting behind me while i was driving. a bit hard to defend yourself from them, no?

Do you know Dunton Bassett at all? I shagged my way around South Leicestershire in the late 80s / early 90s.

That's the same time I was there, that place doesn't ring a bell, Market Harborough was my choice of place for a night out usually, stayed just outside Loughborough for a while as well, loved the Leicester area.

would you give a lift to more than just one person though? i'd be cautious of having someone sitting behind me while i was driving. a bit hard to defend yourself from them, no?

I wouldn't recommend a lassie to give anyone a lift other than another lassie. I rarely stop for someone unless I'm feeling hugely charitable, then I give myself a huge pat on the back for being such a nice guy.

The other bonus is that you get to hear about their awful life and it makes all your problems seem tiny in comparison. :)

I wouldn't recommend a lassie to give anyone a lift other than another lassie. I rarely stop for someone unless I'm feeling hugely charitable, then I give myself a huge pat on the back for being such a nice guy.

The other bonus is that you get to hear about their awful life and it makes all your problems seem tiny in comparison. :)

every body out there has a story to tell :)

some of them are pretty entertaining (and not because they're awful) :thumbup1:

What a shame!

Might give a lift to two people.

Anymore than that, probably not.

but two would put one beside you, and one behind you.

whether it be two or three, do you really think your chances are any better defending yourself, while you're driving? :(

Depends if you think everyone is out to get you LGIR? If they were wielding baseball bats and sporting Hannibal Lector masks then best to just keep on driving.

Just normal folk needing a lift then no probs, If I'm in the mood to listen to their crack.

Impossible for more than one right now as I haven't cleared my fishing gear out of the back seat since the summer yet.

Depends if you think everyone is out to get you LGIR? If they were wielding baseball bats and sporting Hannibal Lector masks then best to just keep on driving.

Just normal folk needing a lift then no probs, If I'm in the mood to listen to their crack.

Impossible for more than one right now as I haven't cleared my fishing gear out of the back seat since the summer yet.

me? think everyone is out to get me? lol no. :P but i'd still worry about a lone young man picking up more than one, as indeed i'd worry about my own son doing it.

and i do find it odd how a couple of posters have mentioned "normal looking" as an indicator of being safe. :( define your normal? clean? decently dressed?