Let's All Laugh At Celtic.

Yes so.

I'm not saying the rules should be different for us???

There should be a limit on the number of players one club can loan out.

Out with a squad size cap.

Say three players out with the squad cap can be loaned out. Those players should be on full season loans & with no playing clauses in the deal.

This would prevent richer clubs snapping up all of the potential young talent as back burner type players that they may never use.

Yes they would still have the chance of getting the very best players but that will always be the case. They just shouldn't be able to snap up all of them & then throw away the scraps

I never said you had said that.

So wed only be able to loan out 3 players? We may have 4-5 who need some first team experience, but cant get it with us for whatever reason, who end up sitting on the sidelines as they cant go on loan

Which we did by utilising the services of J Hayes. So they bought him and sat him on their bench loaning us back someone who couldnt play against them instead.

Youre correct in theory of course. But in practical reality I think my suggestion might have legs.

Lots of sports competitions use various means to create some balance in the playing field.

It makes good sense for any sports league to succeed.

Unfortunately some people cant see past their usual mantras.

Centralised merchandising

Smart use of playoffs/run offs

Squad size caps

Salary caps

Shared income

Draft systems

All sorts of little things can help when a few are applied together. Needs some financial modelling to work out a good balance I guess.

I don't think these are bad ideas just entirely unworkable.

Several of them being blatant breaches of employment law.

Maybe post-brexit that won't matter but I think you have to agree to operate under the auspices of eu law via uefa membership, even tho they're Swiss based.

I don't think these are bad ideas just entirely unworkable.

Several of them being blatant breaches of employment law.

Maybe post-brexit that won't matter but I think you have to agree to operate under the auspices of eu law via uefa membership, even tho they're Swiss based.

Some are more workable than others in the current situation.

I'm just pointing out that it's entirely normal for lots of sports to introduce systems to increase competition and reduce monopoly situations. It's normal, it happens.

Can you name a few sports to help me out?

Formula one have lots of restrictions designed to reduce the financial advantages

NFL obviously being one of the best examples with caps, drafts, centralised mercy I think and probably lots of other smaller things

Cycling use some team restrictions on team size I think

Ice hockey in UK operates limits on "Foriegn" players

Rugby make good use of championship play offs and two teir competitions in Europe

Must be loads of others

Forgot handicaps in motorsports

Name a football league in europe, or anywhere for that matter, that has implemented any of your suggestions. It's pie in the sky.

Its not really pie in the sky, it would just be unusual for football in Europe. Another good reason to try some of it imo.

The first step though, is to recognise that things could be different if we want them too. Rather than just deny any hope of improving anything.

Im not trying to produce the specifics of what to change, Im making a point that its not unusual for sports competitions to value this sort of thing.

its cultural more than anything that we just dont value competition here - everyone is resigned to the attitude that nothing can be done differently even though weve had decades of duopoly. Crazy really.

Ps - for example the Eredivisie use play offs to settle euro spots, extending the reach of the competition

Its not really pie in the sky, it would just be unusual for football in Europe. Another good reason to try some of it imo.

The first step though, is to recognise that things could be different if we want them too. Rather than just deny any hope of improving anything.

Im not trying to produce the specifics of what to change, Im making a point that its not unusual for sports competitions to value this sort of thing.

its cultural more than anything that we just dont value competition here - everyone is resigned to the attitude that nothing can be done differently even though weve had decades of duopoly. Crazy really.

Ps - for example the Eredivisie use play offs to settle euro spots, extending the reach of the competition

Only getting 1 Champs League spot is the main obstacle to a title race in Scotland. It's created a monopoly, celtic get £40m or whatever it is every season, no-one else stands a chance. We can only hope they fail to make the group stages 2 or 3 seasons on the trot.

Only getting 1 Champs League spot is the main obstacle to a title race in Scotland. It's created a monopoly, celtic get £40m or whatever it is every season, no-one else stands a chance. We can only hope they fail to make the group stages 2 or 3 seasons on the trot.

Its a huge problem.

Theres no easy answer but I honestly think shrugging our shoulders and just accepting the ongoing duopoly/monopoly is a bit sad.

Unfortunately thats how most fans approach it, they dont like he idea of change to create competition. Its cultural.

Its a huge problem.

Theres no easy answer but I honestly think shrugging our shoulders and just accepting the ongoing duopoly/monopoly is a bit sad.

Unfortunately thats how most fans approach it, they dont like he idea of change to create competition. Its cultural.

The thing is the blazers don't give a fuck about what the fans want even if they came up with good ideas. I think most fans want a 16 or 18 team league and summer football but the powers that be just set up a 'think tank' every now and then, and then ignore it's findings.

The thing is the blazers don't give a fuck about what the fans want even if they came up with good ideas. I think most fans want a 16 or 18 team league and summer football but the powers that be just set up a 'think tank' every now and then, and then ignore it's findings.

I know, but then the clubs are all essentially owned and ran by fans.

Those chairman and their boards are also completely accepting of the current situation which is really tragic - they could well oversee the end of professional football in Scotland with that sort of attitude as the next generations of fans just move on.

As for the blazers at the SFA etc - they could be replaced if the club chairman had a fucking clue.

Which we did by utilising the services of J Hayes. So they bought him and sat him on their bench loaning us back someone who couldnt play against them instead.

Youre correct in theory of course. But in practical reality I think my suggestion might have legs.

Again, its not like sellik made us take Christie on loan. Or that we werent aware of the loan rules

Formula one have lots of restrictions designed to reduce the financial advantages

NFL obviously being one of the best examples with caps, drafts, centralised mercy I think and probably lots of other smaller things

Cycling use some team restrictions on team size I think

Ice hockey in UK operates limits on "Foriegn" players

Rugby make good use of championship play offs and two teir competitions in Europe

Must be loads of others

Forgot handicaps in motorsports

A lot of probably and I thinks Im there, V

Thereins your problem V. If post 2012 has taught us anything it is that the clubs supposedly on our behalfs have decided they dont want things to change.

Absolutely.

Im not suggesting this stuff will happen, just making the point its not impossible, not unprecedented, that far from it being impossible for sports competitions to create increased completion through their rules and structures its actually entirley possible and happens in other sports.

The conclusion we can draw once we realise that of course is that Scottish football doesnt want to be a competitive playing field, its a sport locked in the past, unable to consider real change, and completely trapped in situation it created for itself.

And then if there is a duopoly, with us making up the duo will people still want change?

I think the gist of my point so far is, that most people dont even seem to want it right now for whatever reasons. They should, but they just dont.

If we consolidate 2nd thats not creating a new duopoly unless we are regularly winning competitions, leagues and so on as well- that would be a duopoly. I cant see that happening myself.

Lastly if this situation came to pass, where Aberdeen formed half of a new duopoly then yes I would still want change, because I actually care about ascottish football as a whole, as a sport. My interest level dwindles with each passing year of same old same old.