Becoming A Dad

weemackie

Best thing about being a Da is getting home from work. My wee girl has the biggest smile on her face, runs / crawls to me and wants to play. No better feeling. Slightly worried how she'll take to number two arriving. Going to be strange having two of them around. That's the lot though.

Best thing about being a Da is getting home from work. My wee girl has the biggest smile on her face, runs / crawls to me and wants to play. No better feeling. Slightly worried how she'll take to number two arriving. Going to be strange having two of them around. That's the lot though.

Just be honest with her. Tell her, "Look, you've a little brother or sister on the way, but that doesn't mean we love you ANY less than we do now.... Of course the reality is we'll have to neglect you a bit, so you better toughen the fuck up right quick or you'll feel the back of my fucking hand!"

Kids appreciate the truth... and respond well to beatings.

:checkit:

A major pet hate of mine is folk who call their kids daft/'trendy' names.

The missus know a wee girl called 'MacKenzie' and another called 'Tulisa', ffs.

Well what constitutes a daft or trendy name?

The missus suggested Mason for our wee boy and she was told to take her face for a giant shite.

Well what constitutes a daft or trendy name?

The missus suggested Mason for our wee boy and she was told to take her face for a giant shite.

1 Surnames for Christian names (exceptions to the rule sometimes, for example Fraser)

2 Names that are deliberately mis-spelt just to be different - afro-caribbeans are particularly adept at this one

3 Flash-in-the-pan names that will be fashionable at a snaphsot in time until a couple of years later folk cringe at them (see all the Kylies born around 1988-1990, and maybe the Tulisa's or Rihanna's of the current era)

4 Names that are "cute" (especially shortened versions of longer names) and that are normally associated with small children which may end up embarrassing or setting them back when they become an adult.

Mason is a shite name for a boy (some girls are called it too). Not because of its connection with the masons, absolutely nothing wrong with them, but because it's just "fashionable". A child is not a fashion accessory, one day that child will become an adult.

1 Surnames for Christian names (exceptions to the rule sometimes, for example Fraser)

2 Names that are deliberately mis-spelt just to be different - afro-caribbeans are particularly adept at this one

3 Flash-in-the-pan names that will be fashionable at a snaphsot in time until a couple of years later folk cringe at them (see all the Kylies born around 1988-1990, and maybe the Tulisa's or Rihanna's of the current era)

4 Names that are "cute" (especially shortened versions of longer names) and that are normally associated with small children which may end up embarrassing or setting them back when they become an adult.

Mason is a shite name for a boy (some girls are called it too). Not because of its connection with the masons, absolutely nothing wrong with them, but because it's just "fashionable". A child is not a fashion accessory, one day that child will become an adult.

So who made those rules?

I'm sure at a time folk who named their child 'John' were seen as trendsetters.

Now it's just a bog standard boring name that is given to folk who go on to be knobs.

So who made those rules?

I'm sure at a time folk who named their child 'John' were seen as trendsetters.

Now it's just a bog standard boring name that is given to folk who go on to be knobs.

Of course. Many names have a shelf-life, but some far shorter than others. In my experience, finding a boy's name that is uncommon (as in not John or Andrew) but that is also not fashionable (Mason, Jayden) or contemporaneously popular (Lewis, Jack) is more difficult than for a girl. I have two girls thankfully - less arguments names-wise.

Anyway, they're not rules, just opinions. Others are free to do as they like so mote it be.

Of course. Many names have a shelf-life, but some far shorter than others. In my experience, finding a boy's name that is uncommon (as in not John or Andrew) but that is also not fashionable (Mason, Jayden) or contemporaneously popular (Lewis, Jack) is more difficult than for a girl. I have two girls thankfully - less arguments names-wise.

Anyway, they're not rules, just opinions. Others are free to do as they like so mote it be.

Just because you're a doctor don't use big words Bruce.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not bothered, I just don't see why folk get worked up about what other folk have named their children.

Just because you're a doctor don't use big words Bruce.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not bothered, I just don't see why folk get worked up about what other folk have named their children.

LOL, ken - "popular at the time of birth" would've been a better way to put it. Reminds me of a funny thing that happened with my 2 yr old yesterday in fact. I was calling her names that were getting longer and more complicated and she would bite back "I'm not a xxxxx" until I got to a really long word and rather than try to pronounce it she just said "no". Definitely one of those "had to be there" moments that every parent will encounter with their kids, but she's sharp as a tack, doesn't get it from me that's for sure, but it reminds you just how intelligent and funny they can be even at such a young age.

Worked-up isn't how I personally see it. It's often a sign of attention-seeking behaviour. It's a real surprise if a well-known celebrity christens their kids something quite normal. Celebrities by their very nature are attention-whores and the attitude is filtered down into everyday now as well. It's just kind of a sign of the times, how society is changing.

LOL, ken - "popular at the time of birth" would've been a better way to put it. Reminds me of a funny thing that happened with my 2 yr old yesterday in fact. I was calling her names that were getting longer and more complicated and she would bite back "I'm not a xxxxx" until I got to a really long word and rather than try to pronounce it she just said "no". Definitely one of those "had to be there" moments that every parent will encounter with their kids, but she's sharp as a tack, doesn't get it from me that's for sure, but it reminds you just how intelligent and funny they can be even at such a young age.

Worked-up isn't how I personally see it. It's often a sign of attention-seeking behaviour. It's a real surprise if a well-known celebrity christens their kids something quite normal. Celebrities by their very nature are attention-whores and the attitude is filtered down into everyday now as well. It's just kind of a sign of the times, how society is changing.

:hysterical: kids are great (non peado).

I know what you meant min. Didn't actually mean you but I know of folk who get upset because some has named their child something away from the norm.

Is anyone actually Christened with the name Bill, Dave or Kev?

They are all shortened names Bloots.

ach youd be surprised the depths to which some parents sink when it comes to names. or any other child related issue actually.

commion sense goes out the wondows when its your own bairn

Tup was spot on, kids get to the certain age when they view their parents as an embarrassment, it's just the way of the World.

only for a very little while.. then it all goes back to being good again. and doing things together. just not as often. but with no embarrassment on their part. :cheers:

I like the word moist.

that's just a gross word.

A British backpacker has died in Indonesia after drinking poisonous alcohol she believed to be gin.

Cheznye Emmons, 23, fell ill after drinking deadly methanol with boyfriend Joe Cook, 21, and a male friend they met while trekking across south Asia.

:clangers2:

I don't think the stupid name killed her mate. I think it was the methanol.

Dunno, the shop keeper prob I.D'd her, clocked her made up 'chav' name, knew he could mug her off with dodgy fake booze. Therefore having a stupid name can be fatal.

What did you call yours put of interest? You seem quite protective of parents with kids named 'Chardonnay', 'Beyonce', 'Versace' etc...