Becoming A Dad

weemackie

Dunno, the shop keeper prob I.D'd her, clocked her made up 'chav' name, knew he could mug her off with dodgy fake booze. Therefore having a stupid name can be fatal.

What did you call yours put of interest? You seem quite protective of parents with kids named 'Chardonnay', 'Beyonce', 'Versace' etc...

The baby isn't born yet. I'm hardly going to go giving out the name of my child to a forum full of strangers either :laughing:

I'm not protective of it, just don't see why it would bother anyone else at all?

1 Surnames for Christian names (exceptions to the rule sometimes, for example Fraser)

2 Names that are deliberately mis-spelt just to be different - afro-caribbeans are particularly adept at this one

3 Flash-in-the-pan names that will be fashionable at a snaphsot in time until a couple of years later folk cringe at them (see all the Kylies born around 1988-1990, and maybe the Tulisa's or Rihanna's of the current era)

4 Names that are "cute" (especially shortened versions of longer names) and that are normally associated with small children which may end up embarrassing or setting them back when they become an adult.

Mason is a shite name for a boy (some girls are called it too). Not because of its connection with the masons, absolutely nothing wrong with them, but because it's just "fashionable". A child is not a fashion accessory, one day that child will become an adult.

:laughing: Good post!

When I lived in the UK, this sort of thing was the preserve of minkers or charvers... however, in Australia it's become the norm! Some of the names that I've heard since being here absolutely beggar belief. It seems to have been going for a while too, as I meet folk my own age with ridiculous names. It's hard to take a grown man seriously who's name is Brayden, Jai, Riley, Tyler, Cody, Brock or some equally ridiculous made up name. I've had to stop myself from bursting out laughing after being introduced to people for the first time.

My girlfriends brother has just had a daughter which they called 'Mackenzie'! I couldn't believe it when I heard it! Bad enough name elsewhere... but in Australia, you're going to end up going through life known only as 'Macca'.

As much as I love Australia - the Aussies just have no class about them whatsoever. In saying that however, sometimes this can be one of their most endearing features!

When I lived in the UK, this sort of thing was the preserve of minkers or charvers... however, in Australia it's become the norm! Some of the names that I've heard since being here absolutely beggar belief. It seems to have been going for a while too, as I meet folk my own age with ridiculous names. It's hard to take a grown man seriously who's name is Brayden, Jai, Riley, Tyler, Cody, Brock or some equally ridiculous made up name. I've had to stop myself from bursting out laughing after being introduced to people for the first time.

My girlfriends brother has just had a daughter which they called 'Mackenzie'! I couldn't believe it when I heard it! Bad enough name elsewhere... but in Australia, you're going to end up going through life known only as 'Macca'.

As much as I love Australia - the Aussies just have no class about them whatsoever. In saying that however, sometimes this can be one of their most endearing features!

Aren't all names 'made up' at some point though?

If you want to look at it like that, everything has to be made up at some point.

In the UK, from a christian name alone you could pick out a minker, or a child who'd come from a family of Chavs. However, in Australia, it's just an amazing mixer as I described above! It's just something that's always tickled me!

I'm off to Mackenzies christening in a few weeks - sure there will be plenty of other young families in attendance... in a perverse sort of way I'm actually quite looking forward to hearing some of their offsprings daft names!

If you want to look at it like that, everything has to be made up at some point.

In the UK, from a christian name alone you could pick out a minker, or a child who'd come from a family of Chavs. However, in Australia, it's just an amazing mixer as I described above! It's just something that's always tickled me!

I'm off to Mackenzies christening in a few weeks - sure there will be plenty of other young families in attendance... in a perverse sort of way I'm actually quite looking forward to hearing some of their offsprings daft names!

Incidentally I know more minks/chavs that are called John or James than any with 'strange' names.

Incidentally I know more minks/chavs that are called John or James than any with 'strange' names.

So do I. Statistically, in the UK at least, names like John and James till massively outnumber names like Kayden, Jai, Tyler, etc... However, you know that when you do encounter a child with a daft name like that, you can almost, without fail, guarantee their parents will be absolute Chavs. There are some places that are worse than others too... Nottingham and Newcastle when I lived there were absolutely terrible for that sort of thing. Still not a patch on Australia though! :laughing:

Ha ha, I berated the 'name' MacKenzie earlier as the missus pal called her kid that! So a shit name like that isn't just the preserve of Oz.

a wee trick that works a treat with my 6 year old if she mis behaves then i tell her i'm going to phone Archie Knox, you should see the look ofsheer terror in her face, so my advice to parents, misbehaviing kids respond to the threat of Knox.

Tell her your going to phone Amanda Knox and really put the shits up her.

One of the wife's cousins just called their kid Mason. I really don't like that name at all.

Personally I like old Scottish names... I'd happily call a loon Hamish, Angus... Dougal is a great name... DOUGAL!

That's fair enough. It's a point though that I think folk are making generalisations based on a name.

Of course, and everyone has a different line at where a name gets a bit "silly" and you don't fancy their chances in life. I assume that line would be crossed for you with names like Moon Unit and Hashtag?

i would adopt some kids. but i'm too old.

Hamish, Kelt?

Ham for short? Hammie? Hamster? ugh.

It would be a sharp A as opposed to a soft a.... we don't say Haamish, we say hAmish. So, if anything, hAme... but that's not great either.

I wouldn't shorten that, though... I think. Hamish would be fine without abbreviation.

Be no doubts about his heritage with a name like Hamish.

Mason or Brody or Logan... just meaningless monikers that happen to be (currently) popular.

You call a kid Hamish and right off the bat... there's a Scottish kid, right there, I don't care if his surname is Wytkowski, Chen, or Runs with Wolves.... Scottish as a wild Haggis running up Ben Nevis on St Andrews Day in the rain.

One of the wife's cousins just called their kid Mason. I really don't like that name at all.

Personally I like old Scottish names... I'd happily call a loon Hamish, Angus... Dougal is a great name... DOUGAL!

You've mentioned a several times that your wife is an Arab, or of that descent... Did you get your way with a Scottish name for your son, or did you go for something Arabic?

Of course, and everyone has a different line at where a name gets a bit "silly" and you don't fancy their chances in life. I assume that line would be crossed for you with names like Moon Unit and Hashtag?

Worst I've heard is 'L-a' - pronounced 'lah-dash-ah'

Friend is a medical researcher and saw a patient (kid from a bogan family) going by this name.

I think the names silly but I'm not going to assume the family are minks.

Hashtag or Moon Unit - they are just downright crazy names - I'd suggest the parents would have to be mentally ill, or a highly revered celebrity, so far up their own ass that they've lost touch with reality.

However, a Tyson, Tyler or Kayden is a high probability of being a charver.

Hashtag or Moon Unit - they are just downright crazy names - I'd suggest the parents would have to be mentally ill, or a highly revered celebrity, so far up their own ass that they've lost touch with reality.

However, a Tyson, Tyler or Kayden is a high probability of being a charver.

Based on what though?

You've mentioned a several times that your wife is an Arab, or of that descent... Did you get your way with a Scottish name for your son, or did you go for something Arabic?

Scottish name... went with Calum.

Not calling any kid of mine Fazeal or Muhammed or Naseem. Her Arab grandparents eyes lit up when they asked his name and we said Calum... they thought we had named him Caleb. Fuck that... not happening. You call him Caleb and he's an Arab for life.

He's got the best bits from both races... blonde and tall from my side, brown eyes and skin that tans in about one second in the summer from her side. He's also got a bit of both temperaments. He gets the excitability of Arabs when he's irritated... he'll wave his arms and yell like a little Arab, but he'll steam in and take charge like the little Viking that he is.

It's nothing short of amazing to see the genetics at play. There's a definite racial influence on a kids' behaviour... it's not just a physical thing, not just eye colour or skin tone or height... it's behavioural and psychological. He has my sense of humour.. he'll fuck with your head just for his own lulz,.. but he very much has his mother's short temper. I mean it's exactly parallel to hers, not just some similar behaviour pattern,

I'm sure other parents notice this as well, but it is fascinating to see traits in your kid/s that just seem to automatically mirror those of the parents without any kind of deliberate input from the parents.

Anyway, Calum... great name.