Aberdeen V Alloa (0 - 0) (6 - 5 Pens)

Same players shown themselves capable of playing better against better teams, certainly in terms of chances.

You think it was maybe just a case of "canna be arsed" for a few of them tonight?

Don't think any lack of effort just lack of quality and lack of ideas.

Was effort unrewarded for 45 mins mainly due to poor balls into box or poor positions taken by players in box

Around 70 mins we became scared of losing and just kept playing square balls or balls back the way zigzagging the half way line

Wouldn't say couldn't be arsed would say too scared to try to win

Zola has one trademark attempt the standing 5 yards out centre of the goal and send it for a goal kick somewhere around the 6 yard line.

Oh and especially for the kitman - either give him some shorts with a smaller waist or put a belt on him - seeing the waist band of underpants might be seen as trendy on union street on a Friday night - but we don't need to see it on a football pitch

In fairness to Zola, he's great to have around the club. He's also been down coaching with the kids,,,unfortunately they sent him back because they couldn't teach him anything.

"The fans singing 1 Jamie Langfield at full time. Wise up."

Not a fan of the man, but credit where it's due, he saved the pen. He gets to hear enough when he's shite, so let the guy enjoy it a little. Still don't want him as first choice keeper, but it's likke when a young kid gives you a shit crayon drawing...you give it praise and stick it on the fridge.

Embarrassed to cheer going through on pens tonight we were fucking embarrassing.

That's why I didn't cheer. There were guys racing up to the fence and goading the Alloa fans like we had just won the final. Only one can look at that game and say they did ok and it's not the team that won it.

I'm actually stunned how bad Zola seems to be, a Bradford fan I know who knows his stuff always thought Zola was too good for League Two defenders, and even the YouTube clips seem to have him having a lot more energy than he seems to have in the flesh too.I really want to like him too.Stick him in the u-20's for nowand promote Smith or Shankland.

Bri, honestly, that was as bad a performance as I care to remember. Nothing to do with lack of pre season, lack of games, lack of whatever. That was just simply a lack of ability. Whoever "scouted" this boy and actually thought he was good enough to play for aberdeen should be instantly dismissed. And if Mcinnes continues to play him he shouldnt be too far behind.

Calvin Zola honestly makes Magennis look like Gianfranco Zola.

I'm actually stunned how bad Zola seems to be, a Bradford fan I know who knows his stuff always thought Zola was too good for League Two defenders, and even the YouTube clips seem to have him having a lot more energy than he seems to have in the flesh too.

Maybe the SPFL is just too big a jump from League Two. Could be he needs to adjust to the somewhat foreign environment of Aberdeen as well.

Alloa were a lot better team than many gave them credit for, showed Paul Hartley had them well organised, they always seemed to be able to find a man to pass to, and always were first to the ball, they definitely wanted to win more than us.

I felt Zola was poor, and Johnny Hayes just seems to either not have the confidence, or perhaps capability to go past a man, I was calling for him to be subbed before he went off on the stretcher, a shame for him, but maybe a chance for Greg Wylde to stake a claim for a place, I think he looks a good player.

Thought Pawlett played well in the first half, and early on in the second half but seemed to fizzle out towards the end of the tie, he was putting in a lot of effort, and always wanted the ball which is more than can be said for the rest of the team.

The boy Murray at right back also played well, and Nicky Low when he came on, no reason why these two shouldn't get a run in the team.

Performance was shocking, I said right at the start we need to get out there and score in the first 20 mins, should have went all out attack and got the first goal, the longer we allowed Alloa to be on level terms the more belief they got that they could win.

Good save from Langfield at the Penalty, perhaps he could have saved more though had he not been acting like a fud trying to put the penalty taker off, all he achieved was looking like a simpleton. Fair play to Vernon stepping up when he was obviously low on confidence.

At the end of the day we are through to the next round, and that is what the cup is all about, A lot of improvement needed for Saturday, McGinn doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders this season, I would try him upfront himself, wouldn't bother with either Zola or Vernon, although Vernon hopefully has got a bit of confidence now he scored a good penalty. Not sure why Hector wasn't there tonight?

The honeymoon period is well and truly over and reality is kicking in big-time.

Most worrying thing for me is that we look even less likely to score than we did under Craig Brown.

Our midfield are creating more chances, but by moving McGinn out of position he hasn't been so effective... So it's been Zola or Vernon through the middle and neither of those two could score in a barrel of fannies.

Defence still looks reasonably tight, but we STILL have no fullbacks!!! Meanwhile, the goalkeeping position remains a complete shambles.

Biggest question for me is why did we squander so much of the budget on Wylde when we already have a few wide players. With the benefit of hindsight, that money could have been spent on a decent goalie or a fullback.... or even a penalty box striker.

I said at the end of last season the most vital thing we required was a decent striker.

Which was epitomised by the number of nil nil draws we had last season.

We never got one, unless Zola counts.

Now we are persevering with the same failures.

Id just go with young players rather than Vernon and Magennis.

We should be destroying the likes of Alloa in a home game.

Ach min, chill oot, we won our 1st penalty shoot out in over 125 years, Jamie made a penalty save for the 1st time in 125 years, we haad 19 shots on goal, they had no efforts on target....maybe 1, on any other day we would have won 23-0. were in the hat for the next round, go have a brew and cheer te fukk up. :cool:

First half we played quite well just no cutting edge. Second half poor. Hopefully Flood's injury isn't too bad.

Pawlett was our best player until Flood got injured then had to play a lot more responsibly in the middle.

McGinn...well he's not been played properly. He scored over 20 goals last season from playing up front, not out wide. Please don't let us persist with Zola up front if McGinn is going to be sacrificed out wide.

Zola, 5 games in....well he just doesn't look very good does he?

Thought Jack was poor. Misplacing passes and in general wanted too much time on the ball taking the sting out of attacks,

We never really worked their keeper apart from Low's shot. They never tested Langfield either mind you.

I want to see Shankland and Smith play. No point in playing Vernon who hasn't had it for 18 months.

Robertson...god. Why does he NEVER run overlap the left midfield or even attempt to take his man on? EVERY time he gets the ball, foot on it, sideways pass infield and then stands there, doesn't bomb forward looking for a return, just stands there. Not good enough if that's his game.

The boy Murray on the other hand looked to get forward at most opportunities.

Just one of those games. Alloa were were organised and hard to break down and we didn't play well. We're through, move on to Saturday.

McGinn being moved to accommodate rubbish strikers is baffling.

Our early season optimism has vanished.

And Flood was our best player in spells so losing him would be a major setback.

Correct on all 3.

A win on Saturday is actually quite important now.

No excuses either since United gubbed them 4-0.

Did the players celebrate after winning the shoot out?

Think Calvin Zola is a player Aberdeen fans will speak about for years to come.

It was a bit cringy,

It was akin to us getting though to a cup final, quite frankly it was embarassing. A couple of players like Anderson and Reynolds just shook hands.

On another note, cant believe the team were given a standing ovation........they deserved boo'd aff.