Aberdeen V St Johnstone (1 - 2)

Today highlighted the fact that Considine is not a LB. That is not saying that he was at fault for our defeat, but each time they attacked him I thought they would produce something.

Thought Logan did ok against May, only blip was for conceding the corner... But Langfield should have shouted.

Don't agree with the stick Jack is getting, in my opinion, one of his better performances.

Pawlett looked shagged after an hour, which is probably why he went back to his old diving ways -should have swapped for Low or Smith.

Overall, not the worst performance I have seen this year, I just think STJ wanted it more.

Folk getting on langfields back is boring and totally predictable. He made a good save in the first half when 1 on 1 and then another cracking save under pressure in the second half when McLean was closing him down. Langfield was not at fault for the first goal, to blame him is ridiculous.

Rooney, McGinn, Robson, Pawlett were all more culpable today given their misses. Clearly that doesn't suit the agendas of a few broken records on here though.

• Upvote 1

Finding this one hard to take but certainly not going to let it dampen our season. It is a building progress and we know Derek McInnes will build an even stronger team for next year. Was surprised by the lack of talk from our set of fans for the build up, very quiet considering it was a scottish cup semi final. The team just didn't seem interested and as others have mentioned looked knackered. Hope Hayes is back soon!

We need to strengthen in terms of depth. A left back, a right back (depends on whether Logan stays), a attacking mid, a forward that can compete with Rooney or play alongside him. A goalie to compete with Langfield and I'd even consider a new centre back.

Just few names, Lionel Ainsworth, Jim O'Brien, Danny Swanston, Liam Fontaine, Chris Porter and Craig Gordon if he is proven to be fit would be some players we could potentially go for. The team we have has done great this season but there are still areas of weakness and DM will address them in the summer, I'm sure of that.

And it also retains possession, which is what all great teams do.

Would you rather just take a wild punt upfield and give the ball away to the opposition.

Yeah it might work at barcelona but they are passing the ball backwards to Pique and Puyol / Dani Alves.

We're passing the ball to Mark Reynolds and Russell Anderson who don't want the ball at their feet. It's completely flawed way of playing for me. Indeed, Russell is expected to charge forward like Beckenbauer because our midfielders are too scared to do it.

Yeah it might work at barcelona but they are passing the ball backwards to Pique and Puyol / Dani Alves.

We're passing the ball to Mark Reynolds and Russell Anderson who don't want the ball at their feet. It's completely flawed way of playing for me. Indeed, Russell is expected to charge forward like Beckenbauer because our midfielders are too scared to do it.

Are you saying that Derek McInnes is completely incompetent in the way he instructs the team to play?

Indeed.

Not even going to get into a debate with you. Your ONLY posts of note on this topic have been to blame our entire defeat on Langfield. I think that says quite a lot more about you than it does anyone else on here.

Jack should be should be looking to start the attack by finding Robson or Flood and then making space to receive the return pass so as the ball doesn't end up being passed back to a central defender who will more often than not put their lacers through the ball hoping by some miracle that Rooney will be able to get to where the miss placed pass has ended up and hold up the ball for a midfield that is standing next to Jack awaiting the short but positive pass forward. Alternatively he could travel with the ball awaiting for our strikers to make an intelligent run. It's not that I don't rate Jack its that he doesn't seem to want to make thinks happen and just wants to keep possession. Seems to take the easy pass every time. It could be Derek's tactic but I think its more about Jack looking for the easy pass. say what you want about Flood but the guy never hides and covers every blade of grass looking to ether make space or challenge players. I don't see this effort from a younger player Jack. A good player in there but doesn't do enough. The second goal today is an example, jack should have taken a booking for the team and went through May before he got into the box.

Are you saying that Derek McInnes is completely incompetent in the way he instructs the team to play?

No, I'm not a manager, I'm a fan. Just because I observe that our play is flawed does not mean I am deeming our manager to be incompetent.

I would be curious to see our win percentage with Jack flood and Robson all playing as opposed to without?

second half we seemed to go to sleep then almost fall apart after the first goal. i think flood was very negative in ghe league cup final and he was today too always running across the park or taking a pass backwards... also thought Robson liked to dick about too much in posession and got caught too often. Maybe paid for a bit of arrogance today? still second to play for and with a couple of good players we may yet become a better side. Agree with other posters STJ looked like they wanted it much more than we did...

One of Jacks better performances?

Holy shit balls.

I had to wipe my eyes to make sure I read that correctly.

At one point I questioned if he'd been subbed at half time. Did nothing.

He had a magnificent sliding tackle but contributed absolutely nothing going forward. Robson was poor got out muscled so many times which is so unlike him. But that cross for mcginn's missed header was sublime.

Today was gutting but let's not get ahead of ourselves every dog has its day.

Agree re Jack to negative sometimes you need to keep feeding guys like Mcginn and Pawlett not taking the easy option and hitting the full backs. Considine not good enough to play left back, screaming for an overlapping full back.

Disappointed, but not as gutted as Tynecastle v Utd or QOTS, because there is definitely light at the end of what looks like a shortening tunnel. Don't really get that folk are saying St Johnstone are a good team. They're fucking nae. This is a team that would normally have Gary McfuckingDonald in their starting line-up. They are pish. They worked hard yesterday though, and got the result their efforts deserved.

Am I the only person that thinks it is still a viable tactic to play two out and out strikers? I think Rooney was lost a few times and started having to come deep. If McGinn had been pushed right up next to him they would have created more between them. As folk have said, The Dons look very one dimensional. Plan B required.

Like a few other folk have said we should not be playing, Robson, Flood and Jack in the same midfield.

It should be Robson and Flood or Jack but definately Robson, he's been immense for us this last month or so.

Let Robson sit in the middle with Flood or Jack doing the running around him to break up the opposition play.

At least Robson where given the chance will try and find that killer pass and he definately has the skill to do it, I don't think i've seen Flood or Jack play a forward pass this season!!!!

The delivery to Rooney is non existent

Can't believe we blew that. Fucking gutted. And the idea that there is a real chance Dundee United will now lift the Scottish cup makes me sick. I hope St Johnstone go all the way.

I thought McInnes made mistakes today. The game plan clearly wasn't working yet we never made a sub until the 89th minute. Robson looked fucked for most of the 2nd half... We should have brought on Smith or Low around 60 minutes.

Anyway, we never. McInnes hasn't done a lot wrong this season. If we can wrap up 2nd place along with the league cup... I wouldn't have expected that at the start of the season

The Celtic win counting for nothing is a sickener too

watching on tv there was a feeling we were going to loose this even after our goal. Maybe we were never destined to get to the final this year.

However , there is a lack of imagination and creativity . Better movement and tempo , and anticipatory awareness from the players would have helped - we need to get more quality in for next season to be sure.

No servce to Rooney - as others have said. He had One good chance , OK, well done to their goalie . but how many other opportunities did he have ?

should have been geting loads

We have been pretty unpredictable lately havent we ....

• Site Sponsor

Ok we are out. Get over it.

It remains very much a work in progress and with the right support from the Board and the right signings in the Summer we can kick on hopefully to the next level.

Winning the cup this year was a bonus as far as I'm concerned considering the utter shite we have endured over the past few years.

The Manager's real test will be next season when expectation levels will be much higher.

• Upvote 1