Inverness CT v Aberdeen (0 - 0)

I think our one game at a time mantra is actually (semi and yesterday) starting to cost us. The players are out on their feet. We should have been resting players long before now. If we had rested whole team against County and Hearts away I dont think we'd have less points overall and may still be in the scottish cup.

good to see hayes back. mcginn did fuck all (bar aside) and rooney was isolated all game.

considine (another totally out of steam) is giving increased fuel to his critics

Maybe so, on the resting players front, but maybe not. I think id tend to agree with you but hard to tell.

I hope Clark Robertson starts the next game. If he's not as good as as unfit, out of form, out of position Andy Considine then he might as well retire now

I've not been to many games this year so maybe I've got this wrong - but recent matches seem to part of a growing trend of the opposition giving us a lot more respect than earlier in the season.

It seems to me that even during our really good form earlier in the year most teams fancied their chances and tried to play proper football against us, or at least they largely played their own game.

Most of these teams will have now failed to get anything over us with that approach and are now moving to plan B - showing us almost as much respect as they would when lining up against Celtic.

IMO Plan B for St Johnstone and Inverness was to ditch the passing football, pick the 11 physically strongest and fittest players, keep a rigid shape throughout the game, sitting a deep defensive line, huckling, pushing and kicking our midfield off the ball and then reducing the game to a complete scrap where they (ICT or StJ) can hit on the counter or just launch long balls up, missing out the midfield altogether.

If I am right then it will only be a growing trend and McInnes team will need to learn how to combat that - I'd think McInnes is aware and working on it with them but so far when faced with this approach we don't have much of a plan B or C yet ourselves. I'm not sure we are capable enough of simply passing around this sort of approach and still getting the wins - we need to adapt somewhat in those games.

So we can either continue to be a decent team but with this weakness or with hard work and more fine tuning of the side we may take things to the next level by adding more options either tactically or in personnel (pref both) to the team.

At this point opposition teams won't feel confident simply reducing every game to a cagey midfield fight and hoping for the best, which right now I think is their thinking.

• Upvote 5

I've not been to many games this year so maybe I've got this wrong - but recent matches seem to part of a growing trend of the opposition giving us a lot more respect than earlier in the season.

It seems to me that even during our really good form earlier in the year most teams fancied their chances and tried to play proper football against us, or at least they largely played their own game.

Most of these teams will have now failed to get anything over us with that approach and are now moving to plan B - showing us almost as much respect as they would when lining up against Celtic.

IMO Plan B for St Johnstone and Inverness was to ditch the passing football, pick the 11 physically strongest and fittest players, keep a rigid shape throughout the game, sitting a deep defensive line, huckling, pushing and kicking our midfield off the ball and then reducing the game to a complete scrap where they (ICT or StJ) can hit on the counter or just launch long balls up, missing out the midfield altogether.

If I am right then it will only be a growing trend and McInnes team will need to learn how to combat that - I'd think McInnes is aware and working on it with them but so far when faced with this approach we don't have much of a plan B or C yet ourselves. I'm not sure we are capable enough of simply passing around this sort of approach and still getting the wins - we need to adapt somewhat in those games.

So we can either continue to be a decent team but with this weakness or with hard work and more fine tuning of the side we may take things to the next level by adding more options either tactically or in personnel (pref both) to the team.

At this point opposition teams won't feel confident simply reducing every game to a cagey midfield fight and hoping for the best, which right now I think is their thinking.

Pretty much spot on.

Would definitely agree that we lack a plan B or C. McInnes will be aware of that. Just a case of trying to get over the line with this plan A.

It's why we probably don't see inspired subs, because there's nobody to come on to change things around that much. You could have, for example, brought Low on for Robson last night (and indeed on Sunday), but he's not going to change things radically. Fresh legs, yes, different style, no.

Contrary to what the media like to say, we aren't really blessed with strength in depth. Yes, we maybe have 2 or 3 more senior players to put on the bench, but they don't really add anything. Something I'm sure will be sorted in the summer.

If the team is suffering from tiredness and lethargy, then there is a serious problem somewhere. Don't see other teams, notably St. Johnstone and ICT suffering from it.

I would say that you can see the players tiring at stages in games recently, eg. last night Flood and Robson looked zapped for around the last 20 minutes. Didn't stop them trying though.

I would say though, that the likes of Inverness and St Johnstone probably are suffering from it. Tiredness and lethargy has probably manifested itself in the fact they've been picking up less points.

I would say that you can see the players tiring at stages in games recently, eg. last night Flood and Robson looked zapped for around the last 20 minutes. Didn't stop them trying though.

I would say though, that the likes of Inverness and St Johnstone probably are suffering from it. Tiredness and lethargy has probably manifested itself in the fact they've been picking up less points.

They didn't look tired at all against us.

Difficult to say how St Johnstone and Inverness' energy levels look when you don't watch them every week. In any case Inverness had two weeks off before yesterday and played like that. We're lucky it was Yogi we came up against any other manager would've kept it tight until about 70 when we'd inevitably tire and pummel us for 20 minutes. Hughes is a buffoon though so we were a bit lucky I'd say.

If you think about it the signs have been there every time we played Hearts this year - they battled all over the pitch and we struggled to play around or through them.

Someone suggested 442 and while i'm not really an advocate of this in the modern game it might be a plan B to switch to in games when the opposition look to do what ICT and StJ have recently - and more and more teams will be trying to repeat this against us now.

Maybe putting 2 through the middle up front, playing down the flanks and just having 2 in the centre sit quite rigidly in there would be an alternative - not to start games but when its clear the opposition plan to simply reduce midfield to a battle zone.

As for tiredness I think one or two might show some signs. In quite a few games I think Robson would have been taken off with 15min to go IF it wasn't for his threat at set pieces. Understandable that the manager doesn't want to lose that really.

We have to also keep in mind the incredible improvement in the team spirit, style of play, tactical approach and then the results over last year and acknowledge that Rome was not built in a day.

We shouldn't expect to win every single game.

McInnes is only just getting started building this team.

Difficult to say how St Johnstone and Inverness' energy levels look when you don't watch them every week. In any case Inverness had two weeks off before yesterday and played like that. We're lucky it was Yogi we came up against any other manager would've kept it tight until about 70 when we'd inevitably tire and pummel us for 20 minutes. Hughes is a buffoon though so we were a bit lucky I'd say.

Not sure about tiredness of these teams.

But I know one thing, as we have become stronger and more consistent we present more a of a challenge to these teams and their players - its natural that they will start to respond to that and they are. We've seen some hugely determined performances against us recently.

These are workman teams, we are aspiring to something a bit better than that, and what we can expect is these sort of sides to put in a special performance against us from time to time.

Its just the next thing we have to learn to overcome.

Agreed - we need to be able to be equally combative, strong and determined. Good hold-up play from McGinn, Rooney and Hayes and the ability to maintain pressure on the opposition is what is required. I think we need to be more direct in our attacking play and it was clear that DM had encouraged that against ICT. But an alternate 4-4-2 system would be ideal.

COYR

One thing for sure inverness are fat as fuck. tremarco and doran both at least a stone overweight if not more and mckay looked to have put on a couple pounds too

Thought exactly that, Tremarco is a disgrace for a pro footballer. Doran is a decent player but agreed needs to shed minimum a stone. Can't understand pro players being in that shape.

Dull as fuck match. Could barely watch it.

Take a point after that- neither team deserved to win a match that poor.

With Well drawing, we're still 4 clear of them with one less match to play. I'm sure they'll see a point againt Celtic as a bonus though.

We're only 3 ahead. Need to just focus on our matches and get our own results. We are in a good position and I think next week we have the chance to give ourselves both a better performance and result. Just need to keep going. Plus Hayes is back and with him having just played his first game back he should be better for next week.

So we are :poster_oops:

Superior goal difference of +12 though, which is almost as good as an extra point - Motherwell will have to go some to make that up in the next 4 games.

Pawlett not yet back to full fitness either- if he and Hayes can get back to best form in th next couple of matches, along with an on-fire McGinn, I'll still be pretty confident of 2nd

So we are :poster_oops:

Superior goal difference of +12 though, which is almost as good as an extra point - Motherwell will have to go some to make that up in the next 4 games.

Pawlett not yet back to full fitness either- if he and Hayes can get back to best form in th next couple of matches, along with an on-fire McGinn, I'll still be pretty confident of 2nd

Nae really.

Three 2-0 wins for them & three 2-0 losses for us and gd is equal but gd is not going to matter a bit because if they catch us on gd then they will be well clear on points by time we play.

We have to beat St Johnstone next week to secure second early imo with Utd & Well playing each other

Nae really.

Three 2-0 wins for them & three 2-0 losses for us and gd is equal but gd is not going to matter a bit because if they catch us on gd then they will be well clear on points by time we play.

We have to beat St Johnstone next week to secure second early imo with Utd & Well playing each other

Three 2-0 wins in their next 3 games will be going some.

In fact, with the scores you've outlined, they would be 6 points clear of us in any event, making goal difference hugely irrelevant.

The positive goal difference could easily come into play on the final day of the season at this late stage, with 3 points between the teams

Which is EXACTLY what I said

DM will be looking to improve things next week as both performance and result weren't good enough this week. We just need to remain positive. We didn't lose and we are more than capable of producing a string of good results. As mentioned above Hayes is back and should be fitter next weekend and Pawlett has only just returned from an injury himself. We have a fantastic opportunity next weekend.