I dreamt last night that we smashed Groningen 7-0 on aggregate then got Ajax in the next round. We beat them, got Everton in the next round and beat them as well.

I'm a touch annoyed that Ajax aren't in the competition and Everton are already in the group stage.

This Riga mob didn't even figure in the dream.

We're fucked.

I dreamt last night that Helena Christensen was naked in my bed. The Dons were on the telly and she was screaming the house down when they won 14-0. She wasn't watching the fitba though. ;)

Quite similar dreams really, Boofter.

I wonder what our plan B is if we are struggling to break this side down? Often felt this was our Achilles heel last season, hopefully by the time the window slams shut McInnes has some answers.

You can be sure they will park the bus so we need to be ready for this

• Upvote 1

You can be sure they will park the bus so we need to be ready for this

According to Latvian Journalist in Evening express, most Latvian sides play 5-3-2 formation in Europe and try and counter attack. An early goal is a must for us, or frustration might set in. We will see where we are on Thursday but I have a feeling this will be closer than most are expecting.

I hope I'm wrong!

Latvian journalist view from EE

We’ve spoken to Latvian football journalist Ilja Polakovs, from Diena Online, who has given us an in-depth lowdown on the club – and there’s much hope for Derek McInnes’ side.

Form

“This season they started very, very poorly and it took a long time for them to get away from the last position in the table.

“Currently they are playing better, but they are still not a top five team in Latvian league, judging by their performance.

“The problem for them is that there are too many levels of quality within their team.

“Last season they had a good squad, but did not reach their potential.”

Key players

“Many Lithuanians play for the club. The best of them are Mantas Savenas and Valdemaras Borovskis. Both of them are team leaders on and off the pitch.

image.jpg

“There are some experienced veterans like Savenas and Deniss Kacanovs, who was very important when Latvia came close to playing in World Cup qualification play-offs.

“And then they have some talented youngsters like Edijs Joksts and Glebs Kluškins.

“There are also guys like Raivis Vitolnieks and Verners Apinš who are at a very poor level just now, but they get playing time ahead of others, so they can progress.

“Before the season the club management promised that the squad will be strengthened if the team played in Europe.

“The transfer window opened last week here, so we can expect two or three newcomers.”

Tactics

“Daugava Riga play a 4-3-3 formation with Aurimas Kucys as defensive midfielder and Savens and Kluškins as central midfielders.

“But many Latvian teams in Europe choose to play 5-3-2, hoping for the counter attacks.”

Prediction

“Aberdeen FC shouldn't have any problems beating them even if Daugava Riga play well.

“This team lacks ability in aerial battles, except for Joksts.

“Aberdeen should be aware that Savenas can score from nearly every free-kick in the opposite half. If it is close to penalty box, he can score goals and has even scored from corner kicks.

“His long passing abilities are good, but he lacks pace.

image.jpg

“Edgars Karklinš on the left flank is a gifted dribbler and has pace, but he is not intelligent on the ball and isn't too effective. He can be a little bit selfish when he needs to pass.”

Feeling in Latvia

“There is almost no interest in Latvia about this game. Most of the fans are convinced there will be very bad loss, but I think many of them are overrating Scottish football.

“If Aberdeen were to play Skonto, I am sure, they would have a problem. But not with Daugava Riga.

“Skonto should be playing instead of Daugava Riga against Aberdeen, but Skonto are disqualified by UEFA due to the financial problems and Daugava Riga took their place in Europe.

“Last week Skonto beat FK Daugava 5-1.”

Fans

image.jpg

“If Aberdeen fans come to Riga in large numbers, then, yes, the second leg will be sold out.

“There will be no more than 500 Latvian fans at the second leg.”

Daugava Stadium

“Their home ground is forbidden to host international games, because the stands need renovation as they are not safe.

“Actually, they shouldn't even play any Latvian league games there, but only a few fans attend the games – and if the stands are not full they are safe enough."

“Aberdeen should be aware that Savenas can score from nearly every free-kick in the opposite half. If it is close to penalty box, he can score goals and has even scored from corner kicks

Hmmmmm :itch-chin:

“Their home ground is forbidden to host international games, because the stands need renovation as they are not safe.

“Actually, they shouldn't even play any Latvian league games there, but only a few fans attend the games – and if the stands are not full they are safe enough."

Doesn't sound great! Good luck to those going to the away leg! Hopefully the stand is still standing when you leave.

Can't wait for Thursday. I think we may very well benefit from an early start this season. Really want Shankland to play and hopefully young Scotty wright can make an appearance. Would play the young lad Murray ahead of Robertson on Thursday as he sounds promising. Declan McMannus seems to be on a high of confidence too so feel we have coverage for Rooney.

Crowd prediction: 10,500

3-0 Aberdeen (McGinn, Robson, Pawlett)

• Site Sponsor

I will make home game of this but not away.

My nephew is across from Oz just now for the month so will take him to Groningen at home. He'll love it. It'll be his first Dandies game. I'll need to take him to club shop the weekend before and get him kitted out in the new gear.

We'll beat Riga so we'll definitely be at Groningen game. I'm looking forward to taking him, 8 year al' first game.

He'll be buzzing!

Anyways, Thursday first... Aberdeen 6 Riga 0.

All I'm going to say is ....Queen of the South

A mate went to get his 2 x ST seats reserved today.

He also wanted to add 2 more for 2 glory hunters, no seats available for 4 mates to sit together beside usual seats so he gets offered 4 in "away end". Fair enough 4 seats together but gets charged full price as he is not using his usual seat. Surely not right ?

Dopey should have just stuck with usual seats but principal wrong in AFC profiteering

4 AFC Loyalty Points awarded on ticket sales before 7:00PM on Thursday.

None awarded for 'turnstile buys'.

(Just in case that's a factor for you.)

I managed to get one online last night. Wanted my season ticket discount. :D

A mate went to get his 2 x ST seats reserved today.

He also wanted to add 2 more for 2 glory hunters, no seats available for 4 mates to sit together beside usual seats so he gets offered 4 in "away end". Fair enough 4 seats together but gets charged full price as he is not using his usual seat. Surely not right ?

Dopey should have just stuck with usual seats but principal wrong in AFC profiteering

yea i posted that ana earlier in thread. whats a few quid between pals but poor show on principle from afc

yea i posted that ana earlier in thread. whats a few quid between pals but poor show on principle from afc

Hardly surprising ...the days of the "fair deal" and "doing the right thing" vanished the day that Grippet hoor Milne walked in the door.