Ryan Jack

I wouldn't rule out Shinnie in CM for us next season chief. Every time he's played there against us he's caught the eye & is a much better player than Flood. He's the perfect foil for Ryan Jack.

Neither would I. Great left back, but from what I've seen of him, I reckon he's even better in midfield than at left back!

One thing is for sure though, wherever he plays for us, he's going to represent a significant upgrade.

Really surprised by this, the extension length is strange, but good news nevertheless.

I think Goodwillie did something similar prior to his move to Blackburn. Higher salary in short term, and gives the club more flexibility in a transfer situation. Winners all round.

I wouldn't rule out Shinnie in CM for us next season chief. Every time he's played there against us he's caught the eye & is a much better player than Flood. He's the perfect foil for Ryan Jack.

Plus, Considine has really developed in to a good left back this year. Shinnie certainly gives us options as he looks great at left back or in the centre of midfield.

DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME!!!

I haven't seen a proper left-back play for Aberdeen since the late Cretaceous.

• Upvote 2

Fantastic news.

This also means that Shinnie, a left-back, who is in fact a left-back, can now play in his favoured position of left-back, seeing as he is, in fact, a left-back. Which means that there will be a left-back, who is in fact a left-back, at Pittodrie next season who is capable of playing left-back.

A left-back in an Aberdeen shirt! Michty.

Hopefully we play Shinnie in midfield and Jack at right back

I haven't seen him in the Westhill Tesco so recon he'll still be off in summer.

I have seen him walking his dogs around my house recently so thought it would be strange to move to Westhill then leave the Dons a few months later.

Edit: Boofon I don't know why he walks his dogs around my house, I will shut the gate.

Not really seeing any negatives here........

A player who was going to leave at the end of next season for free, will be leaving at the end of next season for a lot of cash..........

I just hope he doesnt suffer a serious injury......... mind you i think its safe to say that wont be a problem :)

First off the only thing I think this says today is that all parties have agreed he is not moving this transfer window. I dont think it guarantees him any more likely to stay January or next summer than before today just we will get a slightly higher fee. Be sure part of the deal will be AFC agreed to not ask for a ridiculous transfer fee if the right opportunity comes up.

Second off I think securing Jack for the start of next season should spell a new formation. Keep the 4-2-3-1 for some games but a more attacking formation based on Jack to sit even deeper and be even more boring before and Logan/Shinnie having the ability to get back very quickly....

we got to 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2. More attacking next season I hope is now the plan. Keeping Jack was pivotal to opening that possibility imo

I think 4-1-3-2 will work against the lesser teams but it would mean jack would be isolated against Celtic with brown, bitton and maybe even johansen playing around him so I think we'd have to go back to the 4-2-3-1 against Celtic and put in either flood or Robson for one of the strikers

non-plussed

im guessing the reason your "evertons" of the world havent snapped him up yet is because, he's not as good as we all think

hes not a young boy anymore and i wouldnt think for that reason, he'd get an Everton style move this summer and certainly not ANOTHER year down the line

doesnt tackle, doesnt score...as i said, non-plussed

Completely agree.

non-plussed

im guessing the reason your "evertons" of the world havent snapped him up yet is because, he's not as good as we all think

hes not a young boy anymore and i wouldnt think for that reason, he'd get an Everton style move this summer and certainly not ANOTHER year down the line

doesnt tackle, doesnt score...as i said, non-plussed

interesting argument. So are any of our players good enough for an Everton type move? For instance would you be non plusssed if logan extended his contact because martinez wasn't convinced that he could replace Coleman at right back in the Everton team?

I think making a judgement on the importance of a player to our squad by assessing whether they are good enough or not to play in a top half premiership team with all the money and options of players around the world they have is a fairly harsh way to judge.

Against the poorer teams in the league, I can see us playing a 4-1-fitivver. Basically picking 5 players that will play a very loose 4-1 or 3-2 with a huge amount of creative freedom. Logan and Shinnie will be playing like wingers and I don't think we'll need the rigidity against bottom 6 teams where our quality should be enough to have us winning games.

Against the poorer teams in the league, I can see us playing a 4-1-fitivver. Basically picking 5 players that will play a very loose 4-1 or 3-2 with a huge amount of creative freedom. Logan and Shinnie will be playing like wingers and I don't think we'll need the rigidity against bottom 6 teams where our quality should be enough to have us winning games.

Agreed - 4-1 whatever is by far the correct strategy for us going forward… Ideally 4-1-3-2. With Jack and Robson vying for that position and with Shinnie McLean and Hayes secondary options we should definitely be focussing on how best to utilise our squad on the forward 3-2...

As it stands I'd probably look at our first XI being...

Brown

Logan - Taylor - Reynolds - Shinnie

Jack

McGinn - MacLean - Hayes

Rooney - Shankland