Ryan Jack

Guest milne_afc

Jack has done nothing in the last 6 months to suggest anyone would pay £1m for his services. That was Gary McDonald-esque today and last week. Hopefully a deal was struck in February before his sustained run of nothing.

The problem is that while in leagues with millionaire players who are fantastic at football, yes, the days of sticking to a role are over because these players are at a level where they can use both feet to play on either side or in multiple roles.

I'm talking about the SPFL, though... where players are NOT footballing geniuses, but rather various degrees of third rate. We've no Brazilian, German, or Italian Internationals on our teams, even the Tims' most capped international is a Honduran... hardly a hotbed of leet soccering skills.

This is why I strongly advocate playing our footballers in their natural position... because some of them can barely manage even that with any real level of competence. You start switching them around and it's not pretty.

Shinnie's a Scottish Left Back... let's not pretend he's Thiago Silva. Just because 'The Modern Game' reckons silva can fill the role of defender, midfielder, striker, and Libero, doesn't mean guys like Jerel Ifil or Calvin Zola can.

Was pleasantly surprised by Hayes at LB, but he's never more effective than in his LW role, and that's where he needs to be played.

I don't think too many people are suggesting that Shinnie shouldn't be played at left back. Most are just suggesting that if we're short in centre midfield he's shown that he is more than capable of playing there. That's what I've been getting at anyway.

I still disagree regarding wingers though. If you persist with a left player on the left wing for 90 mins and the same for a right winger then you can risk being flat and one dimensional. It's smart to rotate those two positions in an attacking sense.

I thought the best we played all season was when Hayes went into centre midfield, was miffed at first when i seen the line up but he has the pace and stamina to burst forward and cover back to help Jack out. Defenders were shitting themselves at him running past them.

Also agree with this. Hayes' most impressive performances for me this season have been from centre mid but given that we don't really have another left winger with the threat he offers then it makes more sense to play him on the left.

Agree with this. In central midfield you either float in the holding role and pick the pass a la robson in his pomp or get your head down and run at the defence and try and get them turned, the most effective player at that probably being pawlett in his all too fleeting prime. Jack doesn't seem to do either, bursting to the halfway line and then fannying about looking for a sideways or backwards pass.

Oft. That's bold.

Maybe, but has he ever really taken a game by the scruff of the neck from midfield and you've thought 'fuck he's some player'.

To me Ryan Jack is unremarkable, much like Rowson and Young were.

Just my opinion, and it's not based on today, it's based on the last 2-3 years.

If a club comes in a with a good offer I'd sell.

Maybe, but has he ever really taken a game by the scruff of the neck from midfield and you've thought 'fuck he's some player'.

To me Ryan Jack is unremarkable, much like Rowson and Young were.

Just my opinion, and it's not based on today, it's based on the last 2-3 years.

If a club comes in a with a good offer I'd sell.

Not disagreeing with you. Me and @@Stoney were the first to see him for what he is. At the time , we both got slammed. I'd say since then he's massively regressed.

However, I've always said he's got potential. As mentioned elsewhere the last couple of weeks, we including Ryan Jack played our best football this season with Johnny Hayes in central midfield.

I think Ryan Jack probably will sign a new contract with us and I feel he'll be with us for some time to come.

The GWT is responsible for Jack's regression...playing him at RB for 2 seasons ,to accommodate old hun mates in midfield ,has stifled his development...add in the arrival of no nonsense cunts like Flood and Robson and you can see why he's gone backward...if anyone offers close to £1m I'd bite their hand off...