Women's World Cup

The rule nowadays is if the contact starts outside the box but carries on Into the box and prevents a goal scoring opportunity. Which is obviously a stretch, but the ref got it right. The England penalty was just as soft but less blatant, so the referee stuck to her guns

I don't follow? There is no contact in the box. You can see from this video that the hands are up and push the player at 0.25 The direct contact occurs before the plane of penalty box. However, the Japanese player has broken the plane the of the box when contact is initiated, but there is no actual contact between the players which carries on into the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSzm9PI-Vg4

I don't follow? There is no contact in the box. You can see from this video that the hands are up and push the player at 0.25 The direct contact occurs before the plane of penalty box. However, the Japanese player has broken the plane the of the box when contact is initiated, but there is no actual contact between the players which carries on into the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSzm9PI-Vg4

She clips her heels, runs into her and is still holding onto her shirt when she face plants in the box. I said it was a stretch, up until they changed the interpretation it wouldn't be a pen. It was

She clips her heels, runs into her and is still holding onto her shirt when she face plants in the box. I said it was a stretch, up until they changed the interpretation it wouldn't be a pen. It was

For a start, she's not holding her onto her shirt inside the box.... I don't see the heel clip either. ENgland player pushes Japanese outside the box. Japanese player lands inside the box and the ENgland player jumps over her.

It's a free kick about half a yard outside the box, as that's where contact is dis-engaged - under the new interpretation of the rules (if that is even true!).

Nothing to do with dis-engaging, she clatters into her back and knocks her over at the edge of the box and into the box, when she was running in on goal. That's the way the rule applies. It's a shitty rule but meant to favour the attacking team.

There is no contact in the box. (1) They makes contact outside the box. (2) they disengage outside the box and there is no further contact. (3) Players fall terminates inside the box.

Was on the guardian website trolling the anguished English about this and got a number of bites :trophy:

I am always delighted to hear of someone aggravating the sandal-wearing, lentil-eating, left-wing, obnoxious bufters who comprise the Guardian readership.

Well done, give yourself a round of applause.

My main problem with the whole thing is the whole " a sporting event isn't worth bothering about until someone english/british has a chance of winning."

As with the men's, completely missing the point that it is the "world cup", not just some Johnny foreigners all desperate to play England.