Nk Rijeka V Aberdeen (0 - 3)

First time i`ve seen a replay of the disallowed goal, it was miles offside.

Whisper it very quietly but so was the goal!

Actually by the rules I'm not sure his is offside as you have to be closer to the goal line than the last player AND the ball and he is level with the ball as it is played

That was awesome.

First and foremost McInnes is the fucking man!

Results like that...when everyone is saying a different man of the match shows that it is actually DMc that is the top Don! (I'd give it to Ward btw).

Fantastic performance all round and an absolute masterclass with the tactics and subs.

We MUST remember it is only half time! BUT on the otherhand it would be foolish to not send some of the main staff along to the match next week that we are playing the winner.

Keep a clean sheet for the first 25 minutes on Thursday and it is game, set and match. Thank you very much BOOM!

Goodwillie's lay-off for McLean looks better ever time I see it.

Cheeky flick over the guy's heid, McLean barely even has to readjust himself for the shot. DG could have gone for glory from a more difficult position, chooses instead to lay on a plate for a teammate.

:thumbup1:

Thought everyone in red tonight was absolutely brilliant - what a result!

McInnes played a blinder with his selection, caught them completely off guard. I think they underestimated us and they got what they deserved. The water break was a godsend for us, after that we got going and believed we could actually pull off a result.

There wasn't a weakness, Ward, again was brilliant (didn't understand the criticism from some after earlier tie) but I think special mention has to go to David Goodwillie. He seems to have come back with a confidence and it showed again tonight. He really is a gifted footballer, just need to believe it a bit more.

We'll have to be ready for next week though, they are a very decent side and if we're not switched on, they're a team that could overturn the deficit.

I'm not going to detract from that though - great stuff, Aberdeen!

• Upvote 1

Absolutely sensational performance from everyone. Quinn, Ward and Shinnie all look like top additions. Thought defensively Jack was brilliant tonight. Pawlett all but cements his testimonial with a diving header in Eastern Europe. Real competition for places in he squad now I think. Terrific can't be too complacent though.

Agreed. As absurd as it sounds, there is a strong case for playing Shinnie in midfield with Jack as a permanent fixture, we looked very assured tonight. David Goodwillie ought to keep his place as he did well as the solitary striker.

Goodwillie's lay-off for McLean looks better ever time I see it.

Cheeky flick over the guy's heid, McLean barely even has to readjust himself for the shot. DG could have gone for glory from a more difficult position, chooses instead to lay on a plate for a teammate.

:thumbup1:

Think Goodwillie would be more at home playing in the European Leagues. Very composed intelligent footballer with excellent technical ability. Sometimes he just looks a bit lost in the hustle and bustle of the SPL.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely delighted - said we had nothing to fear and that we are capable of beating them or any team. Hoping for a kind draw tomorrow - for once.

Said it before and will say it again - far too many folk had a negative mindset going into this match. We are a completely different side under Derek of McInnes.

I think I was the only one on here who wanted Goodie to stay - he just needed some stability and confidence in his game - the guys quality. McLean another one wrongly slated - the guy just needed time to settle in - another quality player. Flood - gets slated for doing the ugly part of the game - he's played a significant part in our recent turn of fortunes. People were moaning (even started a thread) about Ward, after a mere 2 games??!! Played very well tonight.

Really excited about Quinn - he's captain material and will go onto be arguably DM best signing to date. Improvement on Anderson.

Just superb, very proud Dandy today!

How we ended up winning 3-0 I don't know, at times it seems we barely got a touch of the goal. I guess that is the sign of a good team. Apart from the first few minutes when they could've had 2 goals, we soaked everything up with ease and couldn't have been more clinical. Can't even single out a player for performing well, everyone was equally immense.

The Rijeka fans seemed superb from what I saw on TV. They never stopped making noise despite the scoreline, a real credit to their team. Did I hear the commentator say they had only lost once in 52 games? Hud 'at!

Couple of let offs early in the game but we were playing in an unusual shape for us so can't complain.

Once we settled into the game they were never scoring. They threw everything at us looking for a goal and got slaughtered for it. At one point all of their outfield players were around our box.

Danny Ward was outstanding and showed last night why we took him and why Liverpool have handed him a 5 year deal.

Thought Goodwillie was superb as well. As others have said he's perhaps better for the slower pace and less physical European games. Have always said Goodie is a top class player, just has a shite mental game.

Glad to see McLean get a goal. Hope that'll be the flood gates opened.

Mon the dons min.

Absolutely delighted - said we had nothing to fear and that we are capable of beating them or any team. Hoping for a kind draw tomorrow - for once.

Said it before and will say it again - far too many folk had a negative mindset going into this match. We are a completely different side under Derek of McInnes.

I think I was the only one on here who wanted Goodie to stay - he just needed some stability and confidence in his game - the guys quality. McLean another one wrongly slated - the guy just needed time to settle in - another quality player. Flood - gets slated for doing the ugly part of the game - he's played a significant part in our recent turn of fortunes. People were moaning (even started a thread) about Ward, after a mere 2 games??!! Played very well tonight.

Really excited about Quinn - he's captain material and will go onto be arguably DM best signing to date. Improvement on Anderson.

What a shite post.

You also said we should have signed half of the Hearts team.

Draw for today

Group 1
Seeded:

1 FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA)
2 AZ Alkmaar (NED)
3 FC Zürich (SUI)
4 FC Vorksla Poltava (UKR)
5 HNK Rijeka (CRO)/Aberdeen FC (SCO) 0-3 first leg

Unseeded:

6 PFC Cherno More Varna (BUL)/FC Dinamo Minsk (BLR) 1-1 first leg
7 FC Dacia Chisinau (MDA)/MŠK Žilina (SVK) 1-2 first leg
8 AEK Larnaca FC (CYP)
9 İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)
10 FC Kairat Almaty (KAZ)/Alashkert FC (ARM) 3-0 first leg

Draw for today

Group 1

Seeded:

1 FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA)

2 AZ Alkmaar (NED)

3 FC Zürich (SUI)

4 FC Vorksla Poltava (UKR)

5 HNK Rijeka (CRO)/Aberdeen FC (SCO) 0-3 first leg

Unseeded:

6 PFC Cherno More Varna (BUL)/FC Dinamo Minsk (BLR) 1-1 first leg

7 FC Dacia Chisinau (MDA)/MK Žilina (SVK) 1-2 first leg

8 AEK Larnaca FC (CYP)

9 İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)

10 FC Kairat Almaty (KAZ)/Alashkert FC (ARM) 3-0 first leg

Is it any of those unseeded ones we can get then?

By the looks of it none of those would trouble us

I was glad Pawlett got the chance to make amends for running offside for the disallowed goal; I couldnt believe he got ahead of the marker, (the only defender near him), but it was just over-eagerness and he made up for it in some style with an even better header.

The team performance was especially pleasing given we were playing in environmental condiitons which the croats would naturally cope better with. Not one of our team was seen to flag in the heat, which is a great testament to the fitness levels McInnes is presiding over; but of course those "cooling breaks" would have helped and I was glad to see them included - makes good sense.

Goodwillie instead of Rooney raised my eyebrows, but it paid off well with his good performance and good assist for McLean. I was pleased McLean scored as I and others had said he had not done much yet - obviously he was saving it for the right moment!

I had fancied we might score from a corner, but fancied Taylor to be the man; wont complain that it was Andy C, rising like a salmon, who got the goal though. We are now having samon for dinner tonight, in Andy's honour.

Other than a ropey opening 15 mins, we were very comfortable and it could only be described as a masterclass of an away performance. Yes, we were happy to allow them the ball for long periods, but made sure they did nothing with it. Our team was ultra-efficient with their effort, clinical and deadly. (I had to dust off some of those adjectives, been a while since we could apply them to our side.)

I loved the Danny Ward song, to the tune of Daddy Cool. He and the other newbies all did well.

Its a marvellous time to be an Aberdeen fan.

I'm not sure pawlett WAS offside

Rules are he has to be closer than 2 players AND THE BALL to the goal line I'm not sure he is closer than the ball

He was definitely offside for the one he scored though :)

I think because Pawlett's leaning forward his torso's offside. Very, very close though.