Simon Church

He does what Rooney is good at namely getting in abouts your standard SPL centre half thus creating the space for McGinn, Hayes and Maclean. Something you could never have accused GW of. He had therefore done well In Rooneys absence. Sundays centre half didn't seem to understand that planting your hand on the top of the strikers head every time you go up for a header is a foul. There was a fantastic example in the 2nd half where the ball actually sailed over both of them but the guy still fouled him just for the hell of it.

Neither did the ref....

The ref actually worried me on Sunday. I don't mind him giving some leniency to accies at 3 down and just utter utter shite but there were bookings galore for fouls, kicking the ball away, the penalty handball just being waved away. The big dark skinned lad's second bite at Hayes after already fouling him not to be booked was laughable. Had AFC really gone for it 2nd half the mackinnon lad was going to take somebody out for sure. Crawford (who I'd sign incidentally) had a bastard challenge on Shinnie towards the end.

Church's best position is actually out wide, which is mainly where he plays for Wales. He's replaced Rooney in the middle as a necessity.

I reckon he's still got a lot of improving to do, so if MK Dons release him in summer and we snap him up we could be getting ourselves a nice wee bargain if he then goes on to get better over the next two years.

If Shankland comes back (been looking sharp for St Mirren recently, 3 goals in his last 4 games and 9 now for the season) then we've three good options up front and some good competition for places.

Church's best position is actually out wide, which is mainly where he plays for Wales. He's replaced Rooney in the middle as a necessity.

I reckon he's still got a lot of improving to do, so if MK Dons release him in summer and we snap him up we could be getting ourselves a nice wee bargain if he then goes on to get better over the next two years.

If Shankland comes back (been looking sharp for St Mirren recently, 3 goals in his last 4 games and 9 now for the season) then we've three good options up front and some good competition for places.

But when Rooney was fit it was Church central & Rooney out wide.

I don't think it is like. I'm pretty sure he's an out and out striker and would call himself such. He's probably been stuck out on the wing just for his pace. I could see us maybe using him like that if we're playing some midget full backs and we want to win headers and feed McLean in the middle or something though.

I don't think he has the same predatory instinct as Rooney but I think he more than makes up for that with his pace. Given the same amount of game time as Rooney I believe Church would be on a similar goal tally. He certainly contributes more when we are counter attacking.

During the first half on Sunday it looked like we would score at every attack. More to do with Hays and Mclean but Churches pace was a contributing factor and I doubt Rooney would have been in a position to connect with the ball from Hays.

I don't think he has the same predatory instinct as Rooney but I think he more than makes up for that with his pace. Given the same amount of game time as Rooney I believe Church would be on a similar goal tally. He certainly contributes more when we are counter attacking.

During the first half on Sunday it looked like we would score at every attack. More to do with Hays and Mclean but Churches pace was a contributing factor and I doubt Rooney would have been in a position to connect with the ball from Hays.

Or Goodwillie

• Upvote 1

Was McInnes not quoted as saying he wants to keep Church? He's definitely worth a contract despite his lack of hold up play, defensive work rate and flailing arms....

Theres a few good attainable players available this summer. Real test for McInnes attracting them.

I wouldn't take that as gospel....

Glad he Sunday Schooled Hamilton anyway

He's a striker.

Very similar in both style and stature to Craig Bellamy.

He's brilliant. Within 5 minutes of seeing him play in the flesh I knew it.

Like Bellamy???

For someone that claims to know a lot about football you don't half come out with shite.

Bellamy had loads of pace and was great at dead balls, corners or free kicks.

Church is decent but he is nothing like Bellamy in terms of playing style.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Simon Church is like Craig Bellamy in much the same way as a haddock is like a great white shark.

He's starting to grow on me a bit, Churchy, though I remain somewhat concerned at his apparent inability to score goals with his feet. Still, no denying that he has come in and done a useful job when we needed it most.

• Downvote 1

Simon Church is like Craig Bellamy in much the same way as a haddock is like a great white shark.

He's starting to grow on me a bit, Churchy, though I remain somewhat concerned at his apparent inability to score goals with his feet. Still, no denying that he has come in and done a useful job when we needed it most.

20+ a season with his head will do me fine! ;)

If he scored 20+ goals a season with nothing but his head it wouldn't bother me. Ally mccoist used to score goals with his fat arse. Gerd mueller scored virtually no goals outside the box.

If it goes in, it goes in I say

I am genuinely baffled when people say we miss goodwillie. Church is a striker that scores goals. Goodwillie didn't/doesn't. The fact he can hold it up or do a nice overhead kick is pretty much irrelevant. Give me a goal scoring striker any day. DG would not have helped us tonight. He very very rarely helped us.

So am I what use is a striker when the service is poor. Church and Rooney both do the job that they are put on the park to do. Goodwillie would have spent more times on his arse than his feet last night hardly the kind of player we need when chasing the game.