Anthony O'connor.

That's the thing with players from lower leagues, there are good ones in there, and we will almost never have heard of them until they arrive at a bigger club or in the Scottish game.

There are actually quite a few examples in the EPL and Championship of players making the step up from much lower leagues.

Problem is, you need good scouting to find good players and bring them in before someone else finds them!

But most of them are actually playing week in, week out at that level.

For whatever reason, Clough didn't seem to fancy O'Connor. That was to the surprise of their fans though.

• 11 months later...

Strange choice - cant seem to recall anyone having Gary Smith as their favourite player when i was a kid.

Never a favourite. Most used to think he was a decent defender but looking at him, no-one was quite sure why. Always think of the TA lad from the office when I think of him for some reason but admit there's a bit of a hazy mish mash with Stephen Wright going on.

Strange choice - cant seem to recall anyone having Gary Smith as their favourite player when i was a kid.

I was 7 and we share the same surname. The stadium announcer even said so as I proudly ran on to the pitch with Sir Gary and Maurice Malpas by my side for a quick game of passeys before taking my seat with a hot orange and half a pie.