Wimbledon Tennis

What a load of bollocks.

@@tommo1903 Easy to say - care to give your reasons? IMO there isn't anyone out there looking capable of reaching the level of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Federer.

The next generation of players included Raonic, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Tomic, Goffin, Janowicz, etc... Dimitrov 'baby Federer' was the most heralded, but he's certainly been the biggest disappointment. None of these guys have really been able to trouble the old guard - but I do think Raonic and Nishikori can win multiple grand slams once the current big four retire.

After that, we're looking at the teens and very early 20's... Borna Coric, Alexander Zverev, Nick Kyrgios, Dominic Thiem. To me, Kyrgios looks like the most talented of that lot - but there are big question marks over temperament. Thiem beat Federer on grass just before wimbledon, but was quite disappointing in the tournament its self. He's not as good as the current guys were at the same age - he's at the same cross roads that Dimitrov was at a few years. He needs to start delivering.

I just don't see this lot reaching the same level as the current guys. I do think that in 5 years time, a lack of really dominant talent, will see a more even spread of major winners. You won't see 3 or 4 guys completely dominating for such a long period of time, at the almost exclusion of all others. I think mens tennis will revert to the sort of situation we currently have in the womens game - where anyone who qualifies really has a chance.

There certainly is a lack of genuine top class talent coming through.

You look at guys like Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and think they're probably the biggest losers of the current generation. In years gone by they would have been good enough at one point or another to pick up the odd grand slam.

Easy to say - care to give your reasons? IMO there isn't anyone out there looking capable of reaching the level of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Federer.

The next generation of players included Raonic, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Tomic, Goffin, Janowicz, etc... Dimitrov 'baby Federer' was the most heralded, but he's certainly been the biggest disappointment. None of these guys have really been able to trouble the old guard - but I do think Raonic and Nishikori can win multiple grand slams once the current big four retire.

After that, we're looking at the teens and very early 20's... Borna Coric, Alexander Zverev, Nick Kyrgios, Dominic Thiem. To me, Kyrgios looks like the most talented of that lot - but there are big question marks over temperament. Thiem beat Federer on grass just before wimbledon, but was quite disappointing in the tournament its self. He's not as good as the current guys were at the same age - he's at the same cross roads that Dimitrov was at a few years. He needs to start delivering.

I just don't see this lot reaching the same level as the current guys. I do think that in 5 years time, a lack of really dominant talent, will see a more even spread of major winners. You won't see 3 or 4 guys completely dominating for such a long period of time, at the almost exclusion of all others. I think mens tennis will revert to the sort of situation we currently have in the womens game - where anyone who qualifies really has a chance.

There certainly is a lack of genuine top class talent coming through.

You look at guys like Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and think they're probably the biggest losers of the current generation. In years gone by they would have been good enough at one point or another to pick up the odd grand slam.

Tsonga is the only guy currently on tour to have beaten the "Top 4" in Grand Slam competitions.

Source Wikipedia.

He looks shite these days.

Tsonga is the only guy currently on tour to have beaten the "Top 4" in Grand Slam competitions.

Source Wikipedia.

Which is a ridiculous statistic. The current guys are almost too good. But the competition/rivalry between them has made it exciting.

Tsonga is past his best now - but still capable of some great stuff on occasion. Sadly, I reckon if he'd beaten Murray in the QF, he'd probably have flopped out to Tomas Berdych in the semi.

A flash in the pan that's won 3 grand slam titles and the olympics and the davis cup?

Interesting analysis from you there.

I said he will be a flash in the pan for British tennis.

He has been really succesfully, and thats great, but hes got what? Maybe 5 years left in him?

Then UK tennis will likely be back to the doldrums.

Thats what I meant. Obviously.

He has been really succesfully, and thats great, but hes got what? Maybe 5 years left in him?

In that case I think you clearly don't understand what flash in the pan means.

I would agree that we're unlikely to see anyone else in British tennis emulate him any time in the near future, but I do think his influence has improved the state of British tennis. We've now got I think 3 men in the top 100 and same for women.

I'm no SOTR, (neither is he, mind you) but I'm not sure British tennis has ever had that before?

That statistic can't possibly be right?

I can think of several.

The way it's written is a bit ambiguous... but Tsonga is the only player who has beaten each of Murray, Federer, Nadal & Djokovic at least once, in a grand slam tournament. Obviously not in the same grand slam.

2 years at his peak I'd guess... Scotland & the UK won't see anyone as good as him, but agree with robbo that I think he may inspire the next generation. Not inconceivable that 10 years from now we could have a few players in the top 20.

Source Wikipedia.

That statistic can't possibly be right?

I can think of several.

The way it's written is a bit ambiguous... but Tsonga is the only player who has beaten each of Murray, Federer, Nadal & Djokovic at least once, in a grand slam tournament. Obviously not in the same grand slam.

2 years at his peak I'd guess... Scotland & the UK won't see anyone as good as him, but agree with robbo that I think he may inspire the next generation. Not inconceivable that 10 years from now we could have a few players in the top 20.

Ah I see. Makes more sense now.

It made sense before Mystic Meg's intervention. You just didn't read very well.

And Berdych as well supposedly.

Big Four vs the rest of the field[edit]

50px-Question_book-new.svg.png

This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

To date the Big Four have collectively won 46 Major titles (with Federer a record 17, Nadal 14, Djokovic 12, and Murray 3). The only other active players who have a Major title to their name are Juan Martin del Potro (2009 US Open), Stan Wawrinka (2014 Australian Open, 2015 French Open) and Marin Čilić (2014 US Open). Starting with the 2005 Wimbledon Championships, their combined record at Grand Slam tournaments against everyone else is 707-62.[147] Moreover, only six times has a player outside the group beaten two of them in the same tournament (Safin at the 2005 Australian Open, Tsonga at the 2008 Australian Open, del Potro at the 2009 US Open, Berdych at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships and Wawrinka at the 2014 Australian Open and the 2015 French Open). Stan Wawrinka , Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Tomáš Berdych are the only players to have beaten each member of the Big Four at a Grand Slam event.

Wins over each member of the Big Four at a Grand Slam event

• Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (def. Murray and Nadal at the 2008 Australian Open, Djokovic at the 2010 Australian Open, and Federer at the 2011 Wimbledon Championships and at the 2013 French Open)

• Tomas Berdych (def. Murray at the 2010 French Open, Federer at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships and at the 2012 US Open, Djokovic at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships, and Nadal at the 2015 Australian Open)

• Stan Wawrinka (def. Murray at the 2010 and 2013 US Open, Djokovic and Nadal at the 2014 Australian Open, and Federer and Djokovic at the 2015 French Open)

The pair of you need to work on your prose. Poorly written leading to ambiguity.

In fact, Clydeside, i'm not even giving you that, you just used a phrase wrongly due to not understanding its meaning.

Excuses excuses! My use of the phrase was perfect in the context I set it in.

Flash in the pan = a burst of encouraging success, but which is not maintained and then its back to normal

I applied it to British tennis, not Murrays career (which has been consistently good)

Can't be denied that in the next three years Murray has a great chance to net a few more titles. Federer is finished as a grand slam winner now IMO. Nadal continues to have injury issues and I would expect Murray to take care of him outside of the French. The elephant in the room is of course Djokovic. Outside of him though, brilliant chance for Murray.

• 2 months later...

It's because of the criticism that Murray received from the press early in his career, particularly when he was a teenager. He's continually stated that he identifies with Krygios and how he feels that the the press need to lay off him and allow him to mature naturally.

Ironically, Krygios is one of the few players who is capable of beating Murray right now! What a great match this is going to be!

Kyrgios at it again yesterday in the shanghai masters, there's no excuses for him this time, especially since he's off the back if his biggest career win in Tokyo.

He seriously needs to get himself sorted or he's going to be the ballotelli of tennis. His post match interview was ridiculous, he's probably looking at a fine and a ban now.

I remember you asking who would challenge Kyrgios if he ever sorts himself out, the young lad Zverev looks like he has some talent, he's starting to do well in bigger tournaments too.

Kyrgios at it again yesterday in the shanghai masters, there's no excuses for him this time, especially since he's off the back if his biggest career win in Tokyo.

He seriously needs to get himself sorted or he's going to be the ballotelli of tennis. His post match interview was ridiculous, he's probably looking at a fine and a ban now.

I remember you asking who would challenge Kyrgios if he ever sorts himself out, the young lad Zverev looks like he has some talent, he's starting to do well in bigger tournaments too.

Yeah I saw that yesterday. Not doing himself any favours.... his petulance is unreal. Hope it doesn't take him until his early/mid-20s before he figures himself out. Such a waste of an amazing talent.

I did mention Zverev earlier in this thread, as the quote below shows. Long way for him to go, but two good wins against Isner and Cilic. Tsonga another big test.

I

Yeah I saw that yesterday. Not doing himself any favours.... his petulance is unreal. Hope it doesn't take him until his early/mid-20s before he figures himself out. Such a waste of an amazing talent.

I did mention Zverev earlier in this thread, as the quote below shows. Long way for him to go, but two good wins against Isner and Cilic. Tsonga another big test.

Clearly a mod edit.

• 3 months later...

good prediction @@Clydeside_Sheep.

Konta wins Sydney open, Evans in final, Murray in doubles final. Edmund in top 50

• Upvote 1

good prediction @@Clydeside_Sheep.

Konta wins Sydney open, Evans in final, Murray in doubles final. Edmund in top 50

Well let's analyse that a bit further. Konta was Australian until five years ago. Evans has a grand slam best of 3rd round, Edmund was born in South Africa and Murray moved abroad to learn and develop his game. British tennis will always struggle for as long as it is run by a bunch of middle class, toffee nosed pricks.

Well let's analyse that a bit further. Konta was Australian until five years ago. Evans has a grand slam best of 3rd round, Edmund was born in South Africa and Murray moved abroad to learn and develop his game. British tennis will always struggle for as long as it is run by a bunch of middle class, toffee nosed pricks.

Konta, moved to uk age 15

Edmund, moved to uk age 3

Evans, top 100 in the world.

What's your point? British Tennis has improved on the back of Murray's success. Nae sure how you can argue that.