Fish And Chips - Where's The Best?

Fishnchips

In my youth me and my bird lived above a cafe in Middleton Greater Manchester called The Full Monty. It was named that prior to the film of the same monicker and was in reference to the full on cooked breakfast you could get.

In the morning, with the smell of bacon wafting about I would say - lets pop down and try it.

My ex was very much like Kelt.

I can make you a better breakfast.

Never even got to try The Full Monty as I was driven off at the pass on every occasion. Only got to smell it.

By smell alone it was far better than what she was serving me up.

You were a lucky, lucky fella, then. I hope you appreciated how much so.

If she couldn't make a better breakfast than a greasy spoon then she needed more practice cooking, though.

Here's the thing. Restaurants, cafes, chippers et al have a production line of items that they bang out to a set formula. There's little in the way of care or customisation, if at all. Even a tiny bit of imagination and experimentation will allow you to create a superior product.

Take the Micky D burgers. There's not even an argument to be made there... they're fucking atrocious. They aren't even the best burgers in the fast food industry, never mind some kind of wonder-burger that's impossible to improve upon. If I want a burger I'll go to Five Guys, probably the best fast food burger I've tasted, and makes McDonald's taste like the borderline homeless person food that that it is. Ten minutes in the kitchen with fresh ground beef, a few spices, and some steak sauce and you can improve upon a Five Guys burger no bother.

As for fish and chips, the bland, generic, oily fare you get from a chipper can also be improved upon. Use good quality fish, mix your own batter, spice it the way you want, and shallow fry it 3 minutes each side. If it doesn't taste better than the stuff you get from the 16 year old stoner behind the counter of your local chipper then try again, because you did something wrong.

I understand that some folk just can't cook, and the stuff they'll produce will be a disaster... but with a bit of experience anyone can match, and improve upon, the conveyer belt shit that's thrown together in fast food joints.

Even your brilliant ex....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I make amazing burgers. Proper burgers with the finest quality ingredients to the extent that they are almost healthy.

When I make them I spare no time or expense.

Sometimes, however, you just want the dirty experience of a cheap fast food burger, and a cheeseburger from McDonalds tends to hit the spot for me. In all aspects and in theory they are horrible, completly inferior things. Apart from the moment they hit your gob and you get the first bit of gherkin.

I dont go in often though because when you look around yourself in that place its full of fat, horrifically stupid looking teenagers.

Its a guilty pleasure.

Mate of mine coined the exact correct term for it. A Grim Burger.

Edit: Analogous with wives and hookers.

The Bay must have really upped their game because when I stayed in Stoney it was fucking shite. Gourdon is still good but it's nae what it once was.

The bay is good but the queue can be a pain in the arse especially if your going to Auntie Betty’s after and you have to queue again.

There are two good chip shops in Scotland. The one at the harbour in Peterhead and the one in Anstruther.

All of the others need to smarten up their act.

The one in Anstruther has be the best I’ve been to great portions and famous clientele of Tom Hanks too

Is there even such a thing as a good chipper?

Pissed up food you forget you even had.

Anything can be eaten when fried up to fuck, that's why the gooks have a poke of ants or locust's. Dash of salt and it tastes just like crispy chips.

Like the kebab. It's magic when you're smashed on a Friday/Saturday night... or a Wednesday morning in the case of about 20% of the posters on this board... but there's a reason you don't serve McDonalds, Chippers, or Spicy Amal's Dodgy Kebabs when you've got people over for dinner.

In the US the equivalent is White Castle.

Anyone who ever ate White Castle burgers will tell you they're fucking amazing when you're out of your face, but when you're not under the influence of chemicals they taste like the arsehole of a pig with the runny shits.

Cook your own food, kids.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like the kebab. It's magic when you're smashed on a Friday/Saturday night... or a Wednesday morning in the case of about 20% of the posters on this board... but there's a reason you don't serve McDonalds, Chippers, or Spicy Amal's Dodgy Kebabs when you've got people over for dinner.

In the US the equivalent is White Castle.

Anyone who ever ate White Castle burgers will tell you they're fucking amazing when you're out of your face, but when you're not under the influence of chemicals they taste like the arsehole of a pig with the runny shits.

Cook your own food, kids.

Try telling that to Harold and Kumar