Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, The Gee Man said:

So a Coronation not a Competition for leadership! 

Perhaps not a bad thing.

SNP are a party in transition right now. In both the upcoming General Election later this year and then the next Holyrood election due in almost exactly 2 years, they're highly likely to lose a fair number of seats, mostly to a resurgent Labour. Whether or not at Holyrood it's enough to stop them being the largest party in a for sure minority administration remains to be seen. But if Forbes was to be leader of the SNP immediately, she'd maybe get away with it in the GE as it being so close she wouldn't have enough time to change their fortunes in the interim. However being the leader at the Holyrood election and not ending up as First Minister would essentially be the end of her career at that level of politics (though she probably could still return to being a run-of-the-mill MSP for as long as she desires).

Letting Swinney see things through till then would the pragmatic thing to do for her. Swinney will be 62 by the time of that election. If he loses the SNP the First Ministership, you'd think he'd probably resign as leader (and possibly as an MSP completely fairly soon after that). If he leads the party to still being the largest party there....although the other parties could unite to deny him the First Ministership but it would mean Labour and the Tories uniting their votes to do so and then agreeing between themselves who to make FM so you'd think it unlikely......Swinney would serve at most 1 full term as FM before handing over the reigns at the 2031 election. And of course there is still the question of the health of his chronically ill wife who's likely to need more and more care as time progresses. If she worsens dramatically, he'd be unlikely to continue in any position at Holyrood never mind as FM.

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Perhaps not a bad thing.

SNP are a party in transition right now. In both the upcoming General Election later this year and then the next Holyrood election due in almost exactly 2 years, they're highly likely to lose a fair number of seats, mostly to a resurgent Labour. Whether or not at Holyrood it's enough to stop them being the largest party in a for sure minority administration remains to be seen. But if Forbes was to be leader of the SNP immediately, she'd maybe get away with it in the GE as it being so close she wouldn't have enough time to change their fortunes in the interim. However being the leader at the Holyrood election and not ending up as First Minister would essentially be the end of her career at that level of politics (though she probably could still return to being a run-of-the-mill MSP for as long as she desires).

Letting Swinney see things through till then would the pragmatic thing to do for her. Swinney will be 62 by the time of that election. If he loses the SNP the First Ministership, you'd think he'd probably resign as leader (and possibly as an MSP completely fairly soon after that). If he leads the party to still being the largest party there....although the other parties could unite to deny him the First Ministership but it would mean Labour and the Tories uniting their votes to do so and then agreeing between themselves who to make FM so you'd think it unlikely......Swinney would serve at most 1 full term as FM before handing over the reigns at the 2031 election. And of course there is still the question of the health of his chronically ill wife who's likely to need more and more care as time progresses. If she worsens dramatically, he'd be unlikely to continue in any position at Holyrood never mind as FM.

Well fuck me TC, let me tell you what we want from posts on this topic - Facts with no substance behind them at all, we want Braveheart memes, we want blind loyalty to failing parties, we want ignorance, we crave the use of phrases like "Tory Cunts", "cybernats", "shitty sheets" and "lol", we want to rage, spit bile and venom at the opposition for no other reason than pure misguided hatred.

What we DONT need is posters like you coming onto this thread with rational thoughts and observations. Take that shit to other topics, not this one.

5 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Well fuck me TC, let me tell you what we want from posts on this topic - Facts with no substance behind them at all, we want Braveheart memes, we want blind loyalty to failing parties, we want ignorance, we crave the use of phrases like "Tory Cunts", "cybernats", "shitty sheets" and "lol", we want to rage, spit bile and venom at the opposition for no other reason than pure misguided hatred.

What we DONT need is posters like you coming onto this thread with rational thoughts and observations. Take that shit to other topics, not this one.

Still a Tory cunt though.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

You are one of the worst for that and whataboutery...

1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Mixing it up a bit FFS. I like it. 
A real variation on the half a dozen previous versions of this post 👍🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I can't help wondering  what has changed from last year when Swinney decided not to stand .

Yes his wife's illness is unlikely  to improve and if he refused  on those grounds last time then has her health improved.

I wouldn't  be surprised  if him and Forbes have agreed a deal not dissimilar  to the agreement  Blair and Brown had, 

I expect  Forbes to be in her old role as finance secretary  and  deputy fm

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Stephen Flynn will stand for the Scottish Parliament next year and be SNP leader before the end of that Parliament, I reckon. 

Flynn was apparently one of the loudest voices urging Humza to end the BHA and his reputation with the party hierarchy has taken a bit of a hit. That said, he's got to be the future for the SNP and he's a decent speaker. Pity he's a Utd fan like.

Just now, For Fecks Sake said:

Flynn was apparently one of the loudest voices urging Humza to end the BHA and his reputation with the party hierarchy has taken a bit of a hit. That said, he's got to be the future for the SNP and he's a decent speaker. Pity he's a Utd fan like.

He's been telling Humza to end the BHA for about 9 months. I'd say he's been proven right on that too tbh. 

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Stephen Flynn will stand for the Scottish Parliament next year and be SNP leader before the end of that Parliament, I reckon. 

I think Dugdirt's carpet-muncher Jenny Gilruth will be lined up... Unless certain legal proceedings run their course. Angus Robertson also ruled out for same reasons. I don't think it would be a bad thing if the SNP get thumped at the GE and/or the 2026 election, to not only bring them back down to earth, but to also remind the people of Scotland just what a shower of cunts Labour are (not to mention the fact Starmer is just a Tory in a red tie). It would sharpen minds on both sides of the divide for a future independence debate around 2028-30. 

Either way, it won't be long before England tires of Red Tories and reverts to type and restores the real McCoy to power, against the wishes of 75-80% of Scotland's voters.

2 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Either way, it won't be long before England tires of Red Tories and reverts to type and restores the real McCoy to power, against the wishes of 75-80% of Scotland's voters.

I think there will be a major political realignment in Westminster over the next few election cycles. Starmer is only winning the next election because folk desperately want rid of the current iteration of the Tories. Whether this helps or hinders the nationalist cause remains to be seen. 

13 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

I can't help wondering  what has changed from last year when Swinney decided not to stand .

Yes his wife's illness is unlikely  to improve and if he refused  on those grounds last time then has her health improved.

I wouldn't  be surprised  if him and Forbes have agreed a deal not dissimilar  to the agreement  Blair and Brown had, 

I expect  Forbes to be in her old role as finance secretary  and  deputy fm

He knew he could win! Last time He knew he would lose 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

Last year, he made it quite clear that he had done his shift and intended to retire.

However the wheels came off of Humza even quicker than was expected and the Sturgeon faction wanted to prevent a Forbes ascendency at all costs.  

While day-before-yesterdays-man Swinney is obviously a joke when presented as a new and dynamic leader, he is literally the only person they could muster.  Who else could the ruling faction have put forward?  Its simple desperation.

When the 3rd Reich send doddering old civilian men out to face the T-34s in the snow, they didnt do it because they were good candidates for it.  They did it because they were all that they had by that point.  Volksstrum John is in the same mould.

The current battle within the SNP is, to large extent, the traditional tory-labour battle, except its taking place within the bounds of independence supporters.  They had really hoped to keep a lid on this until after indy (ha) - generous and tolerant Salmond did it with ease, but Sturgeon introduced "progressive authoritarianism"  to control things, which inflamed tensions and - along with years of disastrous SNP social and fiscal policies - has led to this in-fighting.

6 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

By this point, neither is "she"! 

Is Jesus/God happy with this snippy bitching behaviour of yours? 
I’d like to think the OG would be quite tolerant of the trans community given his similar stance towards maligned groups of the day.