Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

Having not watched the whole thing,  seeing as how I was at work, (amazing how many of you find the time) but she seemed to admit from a video clip I've seen just say that she had known of his 'reputation', something she has flatly denied in the past.

I'm sure she wasn't lying to the public in the past...

Its all a bit a few good men, and no one can get her to admit she order the code red.

4 minutes ago, The beard of mcinnes said:

Unsurprisingly the snp faction on the site have backed the FM
Those who don't back the SNP have not

I thought it was an interesting development to see the justice minister live tweeting the event, in full support of the fm obviously, you would have though that may represent a conflict of interest given his position, or is his twitter account 'a private capacity'...

Why would it be a conflict of interest? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Dildo 2
Guest milne_afc
22 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

My wife remembers every detail of conversations we’ve had 15 years ago, women are like that...

Only when it suits...

She came across alright in parts, but some of it was clear fiction. The meeting with Salmond in her house and today regaling that she had a strong memory of a few of the details.

She probably was trying to protect him for (did she mention she’s known him for thirty years and was her mentor) but there is no fucking way she forgot that meeting.

1 hour ago, The beard of mcinnes said:

He is responsible for 

*police

*courts, sentencing

*justice system and criminal law procedure

She's under oath giving testimony, about those very things...

You don't obviously feel discretion is the better part of valour.

I don't agree with the implication of what you're saying. She's under oath giving testimony about her and the government's actions. Not the actions of the police or justice system. 

• Dildo 1
20 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nicola Sturgeon’s assured inquiry performance shows her job is likely safe

The First Minister defended her handling of the allegations against Alex Salmond with suppleness and surgical precision.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2021/03/nicola-sturgeon-s-assured-inquiry-performance-shows-her-job-likely-safe

So the whole thing has been an enormous waste of time and money with absolutely no one to blame. 

Is everyone really sure politics would be any different if we were independent? 

27 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

So the whole thing has been an enormous waste of time and money with absolutely no one to blame. 

To blame for what? There was a fuck up in the handling of the complaint against Alex Salmond. It's important that why and how that process failed is ascertained. Two women probably feel hugely let down by that failure. 

There's definitely "blame" there. 

27 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Is everyone really sure politics would be any different if we were independent? 

I'm Not sure what that means? 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

To blame for what? There was a fuck up in the handling of the complaint against Alex Salmond. It's important that why and how that process failed is ascertained. Two women probably feel hugely let down by that failure. 

There's definitely "blame" there. 

I'm Not sure what that means? 

OK who's to blame, after 3 years, several enquiries, a trial, millions of pounds and 2 ludicrously overblown interviews on live TV who is it? It certainly doesn't appear to be Sturgeon, despite being in charge of it all. 

I mean that it appears that the Scottish Parliament appears to be as dysfunctional and sleazy as Westminster, despite claims that we are so much better than that. It's ridiculous that this farce has been allowed to go this far and has taken up so much time. 

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

OK who's to blame, after 3 years, several enquiries, a trial, millions of pounds and 2 ludicrously overblown interviews on live TV who is it? It certainly doesn't appear to be Sturgeon, despite being in charge of it all. 

Who's to blame for what? The mishandling of a complaint? The Scottish Government.

Not sure there needs to be "blame" for the CPS pursuing a prosecution when they obviously believed they had a strong case. 

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

I mean that it appears that the Scottish Parliament appears to be as dysfunctional and sleazy as Westminster, despite claims that we are so much better than that. It's ridiculous that this farce has been allowed to go this far and has taken up so much time. 

I've not seen any allegations of "sleaze". An ex-first minister claiming a conspiracy but unable to back it up. 

There's nothing in the same league as Westminster tbh. Where giving your mate millions of pounds to not supply PPE passes with barely a comment. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

It's not the Parliament's processes and handling of complaints being investigated though, Moobs. 

As I've pointed out before, the Unionist media, despite being as resolute in their opposition to independence as ever, are at worst giving her an easy ride and at best saying she has made mistakes. It obviously hasn't gone unnoticed among their clique that keeping her in power for another term is the Union's safest option. 

She is a liar and a charlatan and no amount of carrot dangling will change this. If she survives these enquiries (remember there are two) then the look on the faces of her happy clappers in five years when she squanders more mandates will be priceless... I'll have no sympathy either, because if you think she and her husband are the ones to deliver independence, you deserve all you get.

• Upvote 4
14 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As I've pointed out before, the Unionist media, despite being as resolute in their opposition to independence as ever, are at worst giving her an easy ride and at best saying she has made mistakes. It obviously hasn't gone unnoticed among their clique that keeping her in power for another term is the Union's safest option. 

She is a liar and a charlatan and no amount of carrot dangling will change this. If she survives these enquiries (remember there are two) then the look on the faces of her happy clappers in five years when she squanders more mandates will be priceless... I'll have no sympathy either, because if you think she and her husband are the ones to deliver independence, you deserve all you get.

True we will all be walking about cocks in frocks as that will be only way you will have any rights

48 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Who's to blame for what? The mishandling of a complaint? The Scottish Government.

Not sure there needs to be "blame" for the CPS pursuing a prosecution when they obviously believed they had a strong case. 

I've not seen any allegations of "sleaze". An ex-first minister claiming a conspiracy but unable to back it up. 

There's nothing in the same league as Westminster tbh. Where giving your mate millions of pounds to not supply PPE passes with barely a comment. 

No sleaze? An ex first minister in court for sexual assault allegations while on Parliamentary business, a botched investigation into it, an alleged cover up of legal documents, Government wasting 500 grand on a case they knew they'd lose, an alleged plot to frame an ex FM by the current FM. 

No sleaze at all there. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

No sleaze? An ex first minister in court for sexual assault allegations while on Parliamentary business, a botched investigation into it, an alleged cover up of legal documents, Government wasting 500 grand on a case they knew they'd lose, an alleged plot to frame an ex FM by the current FM. 

No sleaze at all there. 

The default position of the massed brainwashed Sturgeonites is "but the Tories" and then giving an example of how the Tories always lie and that (insert Westminster Tory here) should resign become their lies are worse than what Nicola is accused of blah blah blah. In addition anyone who dares question Sturgeon's integrity is painted as a Tory and accused of trying to wreck the Scottish Independence movement.

Part of what I thought was good about the Scottish Parliament was that we should be above this nonsense and not constantly compare ourselves to those at Westminster. Fresh, new, open, transparent and a chance to break away from the layered Westminster sleaze and outdated traditions are thoughts that used to come to mind.

Ministers have had to resign for less than what Sturgeon is accused of and while I don't think she is the evil plotting bitch some are painting her as, the truth is likely buried somewhere in the middle of what both opposing sides are suggesting in this sorry saga.

For the record (I can't believe I'm having to say this but I suppose I better for fear of being called a Tory) I do support Scottish Independence and would usually vote SNP.  I find myself growing increasingly sick of the current regime which is stale, overexposed and drunk on power.

Finally I noted one of the SNP responses to the Tory no confidence motion was "this is irresponsible during a global pandemic." Yet constantly banging the drum about a second referendum (during said pandemic) is acceptable. Righto so causing major upheaval is fine as long as it is in support of indy ref. Carry on then.

• Upvote 4