Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

52 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

That's hardly surprising . Nicola was grilled all day yesterday and was utterly outstanding. Today she made Davidson look like the amateur she undoubtedly is.

She's an impressive strong leader. 

It's not been a good 48 hours for the self-loathing, British Nationalist Tories. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's not been a good 48 hours for the self-loathing, British Nationalist Tories. 

Aye just saw that always been a Salmond  kinda guy. But she did very well. Davidson is pretty pathetic really. But that gets rewarded in the English state. How can Unionists put up utterly worthless idiots as "leaders"?

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Davidson was their great white hope. Enjoyed a wee bit of popularity, then folk saw through it and realised she is a total cunt. 

Shes fucking off to the House of Lords now. Which says all that's needed. 

House of Lords. Vermin in Ermine..there is a shit ton wrong with the US politics now bit nothing compared to the House of fuckin Lords

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/04/gender-politics-sturgeon-salmond-powerful-man-female-former-protege

The story is complex, but there’s something disturbing about a powerful man raging against his female former protege

The story is complex, but there’s something disturbing about a powerful man raging against his female former protege

FUCK OFF!!!

• Dildo 1
58 minutes ago, Poodler said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/04/gender-politics-sturgeon-salmond-powerful-man-female-former-protege

FUCK OFF!!!

Would you expect anything else from the Guardian?

15 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

As if someone of your intellectual dishonesty has any use for facts!

I certainly don't claim my opinion or (warped) interpretation of events are "facts". 

15 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

What I stated were facts established by the committee, as before.

No. No matter how many times you say they are "facts", they won't be so. They're your opinions. 

28 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

In her appearance, Sturgeon said "don't know" or "cant remember" 50 times.  That's over 6 times per hour, over 8 hrs.  10 minutes could not pass without denial or evasion. 

50 is almost as many times as the number of interventions her regime made to obstruct the enquiry.

Totally agree with you, but the sycophancy of her happy clappers is terrifying. "Oor Nicola" really cannot do any wrong in their eyes.

8 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Totally agree with you, but the sycophancy of her happy clappers is terrifying. "Oor Nicola" really cannot do any wrong in their eyes.

Yes, she is very much their Fuhrer figure, completely beyond question and almost a form of deity. A worrying form of politics.

The mass flag waving rallies are another unsettling parallel with 30s Germany.

Although nationalists and the huns are on opposite sides of the constitutional debate, it is telling that they share a need to have 'der Fuhrer'. 

• Dildo 1
11 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Yes, she is very much their Fuhrer figure, completely beyond question and almost a form of deity. A worrying form of politics.

Although nationalists and the huns are on opposite sides of the constitutional debate, it is telling that they share a need to have 'der Fuhrer'. 

Worth remembering that you're probably the biggest "nationalist" on here. 

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

In her appearance, Sturgeon said "don't know" or "cant remember" 50 times.  That's over 6 times per hour, over 8 hrs.  10 minutes could not pass without denial or evasion. 

50 is almost as many times as the number of interventions her regime made to obstruct the enquiry.

The committee was a joke.

3 SNP members asking monotone questions then when she finished each answer it was thank you FM.

2 Conservative who rambled on and ended up confusing themselves.

1 independent MSP who hardly looked up and just mumbled out a few questions.

1 lib. MSP who was just a complete prick.

The only MSP who did well was Jackie Baillie who asked incisive questions and actually came back at Sturgeon when she did not answer a question.Sturgeon was clearly rattled by her.

Finally the SNP convenor was just an embarrassment and jumped in a few times to protect Sturgeon.

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Parallels with 30s Germany :nutso:

• Upvote 1

I said on this site years ago that I suspected the Murrell clan would try to kick independence into the long grass and scrape through the 2021 election as a minority government, which would give them another easy five years of unbridled power, a pathetic (non-existent) opposition, with no pressure to deliver independence - only the occasional carrot dangling exercise to keep the happy clappers on board - and thus focus purely on their woke nonsense.

I was far from alone in thinking this, though I was admittedly in a minority. Now that the 2021 election is nigh, however, I think I can stand firm in my prediction. If these chancers deliver independence, I'll eat my kilt. In fact, I'll turn woofter and eat Murrell's as well. 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

How does being a minority government equate to having unbridled power?

You would always be relying on support from other parties or individuals gone rogue to get anything remotely controversial passed.

As I said, pathetic (i.e. nonexistent) opposition makes it a lot easier to rule, not to mention the fact the Greens are even more hyper-woke than the SNP. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Given what it takes to win a majority in our parliament, anyone ever winning a majority is astonishing. 

It is true that 2011 broke the system, with the SNP occupying a sweet spot just over the 45% mark - and not quite dominant enough in the FPTP element to rule out their List votes. In 2016, it is true that they had a slightly higher share (47%) and more votes overall, but lost their majority.

That said, while the above excuses Sturgeon in some peoples' eyes, people forget the SNP were polling in mid-to-late-50's not long before the election, so to finish as they did (and so soon after the convincing 2015 election romp) was a huge anti-climax. The 2017 local elections also saw them slip to less than 40% of first preference votes.

Looking at the wider picture, the last five years have been the perfect storm for the SNP, with WM being effectively a one party state (and Starmer and Labour have no chance in 2024) and the chaos around it. That they have failed utterly to capitalise on this, says everything about her "leadership". That they likely won't get 50%+ of Scotland to back them in May (and thus secure a majority a la proportional representation) after all that has transpired, is a shocking indictment on how poor they have been since Salmond resigned.

2 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I said on this site years ago that I suspected the Murrell clan would try to kick independence into the long grass and scrape through the 2021 election as a minority government, which would give them another easy five years of unbridled power, a pathetic (non-existent) opposition, with no pressure to deliver independence - only the occasional carrot dangling exercise to keep the happy clappers on board - and thus focus purely on their woke nonsense.

I was far from alone in thinking this, though I was admittedly in a minority. Now that the 2021 election is nigh, however, I think I can stand firm in my prediction. If these chancers deliver independence, I'll eat my kilt. In fact, I'll turn woofter and eat Murrell's as well. 

Right again Jocky min.

How do you do it! 

35 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As I said, pathetic (i.e. nonexistent) opposition makes it a lot easier to rule, not to mention the fact the Greens are even more hyper-woke than the SNP. 

It is true that 2011 broke the system, with the SNP occupying a sweet spot just over the 45% mark - and not quite dominant enough in the FPTP element to rule out their List votes. In 2016, it is true that they had a slightly higher share (47%) and more votes overall, but lost their majority.

That said, while the above excuses Sturgeon in some peoples' eyes, people forget the SNP were polling in mid-to-late-50's not long before the election, so to finish as they did (and so soon after the convincing 2015 election romp) was a huge anti-climax. The 2017 local elections also saw them slip to less than 40% of first preference votes.

I agree with all that. 

35 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Looking at the wider picture, the last five years have been the perfect storm for the SNP, with WM being effectively a one party state (and Starmer and Labour have no chance in 2024) and the chaos around it. That they have failed utterly to capitalise on this, says everything about her "leadership". That they likely won't get 50%+ of Scotland to back them in May (and thus secure a majority a la proportional representation) after all that has transpired, is a shocking indictment on how poor they have been since Salmond resigned.

I agree with much of that but not your conclusion. Independence over the last 6 months is polling at an all time high. 

A pro-Indy parliament after the election and a vote this year is essential though. It'll be a massive year for the entire movement. 

18 hours ago, Henry said:

Right again Jocky min.

How do you do it! 

I don't always call it right, but yes, I have called a lot of post-2014 events right. That's not due to any great insight as such, but living in NW England until late 2013 gave me an insight into how WM politics would go. The mood outside the SE bubble was one of growing frustration and resentment, so it wasn't hard to predict Cameron (backed by the UKIP lobby and their supporters) would win in 2015. It also followed that his victory was conditional on delivering an EU referendum. It was also looking distinctly like England (outside the SE bubble) would vote Leave. I didn't think Wales would follow, of course, but word is the natives were outvoted by the 30% of their population that is English, mostly Tory retiree types.

I think it's safe to say the Tories will be in power until around 2030 at least and Scotland will remain deadlocked on the constitutional question for the foreseeable. I think a United Ireland is on the cards for around 2030, so at this rate NI will leave the UK before Scotland.

Just now, Clydeside_Sheep said:

??

Did not the last referendum take ~2 years to organise, after it was agreed to hold one?

The SNP say they have got 600 grand "ring fenced" for a referendum, yet there is less than 100 k in their bank account.

The SNP are something else.  Cant tell us when we can go on holiday again, or when all the kids will be back in School - but they can fix a date for an election and say there will be a referendum as well!

If there was a referendum and yes won, how would they explain with a straight face that they want to wait to get all the 2nd covid jabs, and then become independent after that?

You ignoring my question about Boris Johnson, fuckface? 

• Upvote 1
On 3/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Parklife said:

a vote this year is essential though

??

Did not the last referendum take ~2 years to organise, after it was agreed to hold one?

The SNP say they have got 600 grand "ring fenced" for a referendum, yet there is less than 100 k in their bank account.

The SNP are something else.  Cant tell us when we can go on holiday again, or when all the kids will be back in School - but they can fix a date for an election and say there will be a referendum as well!

If there was a referendum and yes won, how would they explain with a straight face that they want to wait to get all the 2nd covid jabs, and then become independent after that?