Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

And as for Chernobyl?

And your point is?

Accidents happen primarily through human error. Following the Piper Alpha the industry adopted every single HSE recommendation following the Cullen Inquiry but will that alone stop a similar incident from ever happening again?

Nuclear may not be everyone's favourite power generation method however it has zero carbon emissions and is a proven reliable power source.

16 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I know it's clean. 

But disposing of nuclear waste is difficult, and potentially damaging to local environments. Also, human error is still a possibility, and it can always go wrong. 

Worth weighing it up. 

Dounreay was perfect, well away from mass human populations, we could easily build a couple on some of the inhabited islands or Orkney. 

Fact is we need control over our power supplies or it will lead to war, we can't allow other states to dictate to us and hold us ransom. 

13 hours ago, daytripping said:

This will be a nuclear winter for a lot of poor and old people, no sign of prices dropping. I don't think many people realise how bad this is going to get. When your fertiliser companies have to close as they can't afford to make the stuff the winter will just be the beginning, poor crops, huge price increases. This is what happens when you let a spoilt little rich brat have a say and a strong green movement. They don't think of the fallout or the damage they're doing, we should be pumping fuck out of our own resources, we can't. Greenpeace still waiting to attack anything happening at Cambo, to replace that gas with imported is just bizarre. The joint leaders of the Scottish assembly in agreement with them.

If Kelt had to pay what we're paying for his fuel and energy he'd soon change his tune, easy to be a scots lover living thousands of miles away.

Most of them are probably no voters though. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Yup. The earth isn't an infinite resource for the economic games we play. 

We could have had everything green about 20 years ago, the problem is too many people would lose their wealth and fortune. 

Some folk want to ensure the earth stays habitable for as long as possible, we can't all afford our own rockets. 

Okay.

So what are you willing to give up?

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I know it's clean. 

But disposing of nuclear waste is difficult, and potentially damaging to local environments. Also, human error is still a possibility, and it can always go wrong. 

Worth weighing it up. 

Trade offs amigo. There are no solutions, only trade offs.

5 hours ago, Ramandu said:

Fukushima went as wrong as you could imagine. Backup generators failed, meaning no cooling, three reactors had meltdowns, big explosions and radiation release. Guess how many confirmed deaths there have been so far? Go on...

... one.

The effects of a nuclear incident go far beyond immediate body count, though. 

I don't think the seriousness of a nuclear incident is measured in those people immediately killed, but in the subsequent effects they have on public health and environmental damage. 

Also, I don't think Fukushima was anywhere as bad as it could have been. 

1 hour ago, caledonia said:

Independence would fix all our problems as we could get heat from burning everything with a union jack on it including joe pike’s boxers.

Unfortunately the Scots are as children... you need looking after. 

Seriously, I doubt there's a less capable nation... not that the Scots are really a nation... on the face of the Earth. 

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

At this stage I don't doubt independence for this country would be a shambles also.

^ This.

Make no mistake, Scottish independence will make Brexit look like a walk in the park as Westminster uses every conceivable method to fuck us over.

And every single opposition party will point to independence and say "told you so" just as they are doing with Brexit.

However I don't believe that that alone is a reason not to vote for independence and we need to grab it when the opportunity next comes around.

2 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

^ This.

Make no mistake, Scottish independence will make Brexit look like a walk in the park as Westminster uses every conceivable method to fuck us over.

And every single opposition party will point to independence and say "told you so" just as they are doing with Brexit.

However I don't believe that that alone is a reason not to vote for independence and we need to grab it when the opportunity next comes around.

As part of the EU same as Ireland England will have to buckle same as its doing with the EU just now.

If it refuses to trade with us it will have 28 nations doing the same back as the EU trade as a block.

3 hours ago, caledonia said:

As part of the EU same as Ireland England will have to buckle same as its doing with the EU just now.

If it refuses to trade with us it will have 28 nations doing the same back as the EU trade as a block.

We wouldn't be in the EU, we left it and as a poverty stricken Country if we left the UK would have zero chance of joining. We'd be the Somalia of Europe except we'd be cold, very cold, we'd have no heating  in our houses.

36 minutes ago, daytripping said:

We wouldn't be in the EU, we left it and as a poverty stricken Country if we left the UK would have zero chance of joining. We'd be the Somalia of Europe except we'd be cold, very cold, we'd have no heating  in our houses.

Scotland voted to remain in the EU, which would stand in its favour. And it's strategic position would likely been seen as important to EU and NATO security. 

24 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Scotland voted to remain in the EU, which would stand in its favour. And it's strategic position would likely been seen as important to EU and NATO security. 

If Texas votes for Trump and the rest vote for Biden, who wins? I'm trying to make this easy for you. We're a region of a larger nation, the votes were counted and we left the EU, the correct decision. Scotland is a small part of Great Britain, this isn't a Braveheart movie. If you love the place so much move back.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, caledonia said:

Holy shit.

You still in cuckoo land.You would have to go cap in hand to the EU to rejoin and if they let you it would be under strict monetary conditions.

Due to Catalonia and Spain there is no chance of this happening anyway.

Why would you want to leave one Union for independence only to rejoin another Union where in the scheme of things Scotland would be like an ant.

The EU is going to be in big trouble in the next few years when the loss of the UK's contribution kicks in and Germany/France screw the smaller countries.

2 hours ago, daytripping said:

If Texas votes for Trump and the rest vote for Biden, who wins? I'm trying to make this easy for you.

* We're a region of a larger nation,

** the votes were counted and we left the EU,

*** the correct decision.

**** Scotland is a small part of Great Britain,

**** this isn't a Braveheart movie.

******If you love the place so much move back.

You don't have to make things easy for me... I'm pretty good at dealing with complex arguments... so fill your boots, chum ?? 

Make it as difficult and abstract as you like. If I have questions, I'm not afraid to ask. 

* The UK isn't A nation, it's a collection of nations, one of which is Scotland. 

** That's not anything that's being argued against, but good reiteration, I suppose. 

*** Mere Opinion. 

**** Okay?

***** Okay?

****** Because....?

3 hours ago, Joe pike said:

Holy shit.

You still in cuckoo land.You would have to go cap in hand to the EU to rejoin and if they let you it would be under strict monetary conditions.

Why would you want to leave one Union for independence only to rejoin another Union where in the scheme of things Scotland would be like an ant.

The EU is going to be in big trouble in the next few years when the loss of the UK's contribution kicks in and Germany/France screw the smaller countries.

Hahahaha what a load of crap based on project fear 2

we already know Spain wont veto and we already know Scotland would be allowed straight back in so why lie

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1NP25P

4 hours ago, Joe pike said:

Holy shit.

Smaller than a sand? 
Did you get yir kid to write that post min? 

2 hours ago, caledonia said:

Hahahaha what a load of crap based on project fear 2

we already know Spain wont veto and we already know Scotland would be allowed straight back in so why lie

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1NP25P

Not sure an article from 3 years ago is concrete proof that Spain won't veto, alot has happened since then and we could be talking another 3/4 years before another vote.