Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

13 hours ago, Simply Red said:

Scotland hasnt voted for a Tory government since 1959. We’ve still been run by them most of the time since then.

For the last 25 years, (since Holyrood was created), Scotland has been run by Labour and SNP administrations.

These administrations have far more influence over daily life Scotland than does Westminster.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The House of Lords doesn't create legislation? 

We've even got an unelected foreign Secretary who's in the lords. 

Be better just admitting that your reasoning is illogical 

The Role of the Lords in legislation is to review what the Commons proposes and raise points for consideration.

The EU and UK systems are actually not dissimilar, both have two chambers, but the UK gets it right in that its the elected chamber which has the power.   In the EU, its the un-elected part which is powerful.

4 hours ago, Red Clive 1995 said:

I saw an idiot on twitter - who clearly knows nothing about Scottish History, or Red Coats - moaning about this.

Scots Nationalists never miss an opportunity to deeply embarrass themselves.  

The Yes movement is obviously in deep trouble if erroneously moaning about the name of a cafe is seen as a priority / worthwhile campaign.

9 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The Role of the Lords in legislation is to review what the Commons proposes and raise points for consideration.

The EU and UK systems are actually not dissimilar, both have two chambers, but the UK gets it right in that its the elected chamber which has the power.   In the EU, its the un-elected part which is powerful.

Theres Lords in the cabinet and Lords can propose legislation too. 

Youre havering nonsense on this point.  Just say you wanted out of the EU regardless, rather than trying this nonsense line to justify it. 

6 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Rubbish.

Many Scots nationalists are totally ignorant about the workings of both Holyrood and the EU, they are a good argument against universal suffrage.

Nope. More powers are retained by Westminster than are devolved. I'm correct. Not even debatable. 

• Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I saw an idiot on twitter - who clearly knows nothing about Scottish History, or Red Coats - moaning about this.

The Yes movement is obviously in deep trouble if erroneously moaning about the name of a cafe is seen as a priority / worthwhile campaign.

Might have been me. 
Red coats chased bonnie Prince Charlie about. Get them tae fuck. 
Sluagh-ghairm!!!

14 hours ago, Simply Red said:

Scotland hasnt voted for a Tory government since 1959. We’ve still been run by them most of the time since then.

Yes, but Scotland is (wilfully!) a member of the United Kingdom, and the UK (which includes Scotland) has voted for numerous tory governments. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Theres Lords in the cabinet and Lords can propose legislation too. 

Youre havering nonsense on this point.  Just say you wanted out of the EU regardless, rather than trying this nonsense line to justify it. 

Nope. More powers are retained by Westminster than are devolved. I'm correct. Not even debatable. 

I would concede that having a peer in the cabinet is an anomaly, but that is hardly routine.

I voted to get out of the EU because I didnt wanted unelected people having influence over the UK.

10 years ago, the Scots voted to remain in the UK, showing (at least then) their satisfaction with the UK and its arrangements.

I didn't comment on whether more powers are devolved or not, I said Holyrood has more influence over daily life in Scotland than Westminster.  And that is true.

• Dildo 1

2 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Some real blood and soil nationalism on display in that red coat debate. A debate about a tourist cafe in Edinburgh 😂

I know.

Im sure Its been called the Red Coat cafe for decades too.

They also have a facility named the Jacobite something or other.

It sure shows up the priorities of the nationalists. 

They don't know what currency Scotland would use but, by fuck, they know what its cafes wont be called.

Pathetic really.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'm not the one using that as a reason why Brexit is good, Two Degrees. 

Keep up. 

See clydeside is extremely pro union he sticks up for the English parliament at every opportunity.

Come on clydeside come and join us we can't do worse .

2.5 trillion in dept through no fault of our own tells you it isn't working.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I know.

They don't know what currency Scotland would use but, by fuck, they know what its cafes wont be called.

Pathetic really.

I'd rather be an nationalist than a unionist fk that

I would concede that having a peer in the cabinet is an anomaly, but that is hardly routine.

I voted to get out of the EU because I didnt wanted unelected people having influence over the UK.

Well you've utterly failed because there's thousands of unelected people with control over the UK in the lords and civil service. 

You're rationale is illogical and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. 

I didn't comment on whether more powers are devolved or not, I said Holyrood has more influence over daily life in Scotland than Westminster.  And that is true.

It's completely false by every metric. Everything done by the Scottish government is controlled by the budgetary parameters set by Westminster. You're absolutely wrong. By any metric. 

3 hours ago, Red Clive 1995 said:

Might have been me. 
Red coats chased bonnie Prince Charlie about. Get them tae fuck. 
Sluagh-ghairm!!!

No I wasnt having a go at you, its just a ridiculous topic for grievance.

Scots troops are red coats too, even today.  Im sure the Scots Guards will be delighted to learn some petty Scots think their uniforms are offensive.

Most of the people up in arms probably erroneously think the red coats were "english" and the Jacobite wars were about Scotland vs England (the lens they see everything through). 

Many scots are woefully ignorant about their history and that is down mainly to the reformation, not the union.

The Jacobite wars were about who was the rightful King of the UK and is best described as being the British Government vs Rebels. 

Both sides drew support from across the UK and Ireland and so while a Scots dynasty was one of the claimants, his "side" was not exclusively Scots. 

The Government army at Culloden fielded more Scots (and in red coats) than did the Jacobites.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Well you've utterly failed because there's thousands of unelected people with control over the UK in the lords and civil service. 

You're rationale is illogical and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. 

It's completely false by every metric. Everything done by the Scottish government is controlled by the budgetary parameters set by Westminster. You're absolutely wrong. By any metric. 

You are havering pish Parky and you know it.

I thought you were away having a ball in South America?  Is there nothing to see in Santiago?

Go and lay a wreath at the grave of noble Pinochet, great friend of the UK.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

You are havering pish Parky and you know it.

Nope. I'm right on both counts. Your attempts to change the discussion on to me simply show you've got nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I thought you were away having a ball in South America?  Is there nothing to see in Santiago?

Go and lay a wreath at the grave of noble Pinochet, great friend of the UK.

Loads to see in Santiago. We've had an intense few weeks, so having a bit of a chill day today. Had a lie in, done some admin, now just chilling. Going to have lunch in the park in a bit. Then a quiet night in and some home-cooked food. 

Hope that's all okay with you? 

4 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Yes buy they elect MEPs, they don't elect the EU Commission which is the cabinet-style Government of the EU which proposed legislation.

Members of the EU Commission are not popularly elected. 

So, if EU voters dislike current EU President Ursula Von Der Leyen, they have no actual means to do anything about it.  She doesn't represent a constituency which can depose her.

The “cabinet” style eu commission members have their approval voted on by the eu parliament’s democratically elected MEPs so you are being misleading. Again. 

Seems such a strange hill to die on to justify being tens of billions worse off as a country each year, losing access to the Erasmus program and having no additional trade deals bar a completely statistically meaningless one with Aus. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I know.

Pathetic really.

FTR I'm a nationalist and couldn't give a fuck. 

5 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The Government army at Culloden fielded more Scots (and in red coats) than did the Jacobites.

That is the point naming a cafe after the redcoats (British Crown) who murdered, Raped and tortured thousands of Scots 

It does not matter if there were some, less or more Scots on their side or not.

But 20,000 Jacobites is larger than 11,000 scots for the British Crown 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
18 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

10 years ago, the Scots voted to remain in the UK, showing (at least then) their satisfaction with the UK and its arrangements.

🤪

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Don Fonte said:

Tell him to fuck off min.

On 2/12/2024 at 12:28 PM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

IMG-0023.jpg

Fuck off

On 2/12/2024 at 8:38 PM, caledonia said:

That is the point naming a cafe after the redcoats (British Crown) who murdered, Raped and tortured thousands of Scots 

It does not matter if there were some, less or more Scots on their side or not.

But 20,000 Jacobites is larger than 11,000 scots for the British Crown 

Re bold = gross exaggeration, if it has any basis in reality at all.

Cumberland's victory was hugely popular in Scotland and he was feted and honoured among lowland scots.

And those numbers are way off for culloden (?).  The Jacobites had 5 or 6,000, the Government maybe 1 or 2,000 more.

The jacobites has scots, english, irish and possible even french.  The Government Scots and English.

They were two British armies facing off, one official, one rebel.

As with civil war, there are plenty of people happy with the way things panned out, those moaning do so on bad understanding of history!

• Downvote 1
On 2/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

For the last 25 years, (since Holyrood was created), Scotland has been run by Labour and SNP administrations.

These administrations have far more influence over daily life Scotland than does Westminster.

While reiterating that I have no love for the SNP leadership post-2014, that is not true. Under the current devolved settlement, the SG only controls about 30% of our affairs - and most crucially, most of the economic levers which would allow us to significantly alter the economy and/or direction of travel of Scotland, still reside under Westminster control. While it would be harsh to call Holyrood a glorified parish council, it's not that far off the mark. 

The constitutional question has to be answered one way or another, lest we see a continuing neverendum.