Aberdeen V Kilmarnock

I reckon come February that will be our attacking line up interchanging GMS and Wright and Rooney and May as we go. If we're keeping it tight swap Tansey for Ball. The Reynolds Arnason thing will resolve itself one way or the other.

Quite happy for Maclean to recover his form as a big fuck you to all of us even if he does go, but in the meantime he has to play his way in there. I can't see him displacing Shinnie unless for suspension, suspect Ball and Tansey will make that other slot their own (and Deke clearly doesn't fancy our defensive frailty with Maclean and Shinnie hence the signing of Ball) so unless we see a marked improvement his threat and goal return is far too low for the AM role that Christie holds ergo he doesn't fit.

It is noticeable however that if you say "right, lets start (the midfield formation) with Kenny" how that just seems to imbalance things immediately. You're fitting square pegs from the get go. Possible benefit in getting Shinnie back to Left Back but massive downside of us leaving a massive hole right in front of whichever defence we eventually settle on.

Not bad at all but I'd be equally happy with

Shinnie at LB.

Ball and Tansey in the middle.

GMS in for Wright (Wright to come off the bench as an impact sub)

Considine and McLean taking a wee spell out of the team.

Anyone know if Shinnie is happy playing either role or has he a preference for one over the other, I assume as a professional he will claim to be "happy to play where the gaffer tells me" but most players seem to have a favourite position

Anyone know if Shinnie is happy playing either role or has he a preference for one over the other, I assume as a professional he will claim to be "happy to play where the gaffer tells me" but most players seem to have a favourite position

No idea, but you'd think the a player would probably want to play in the same position week in week out as much as possible.

Still, I'm a bit tired of Consi at LB every week, we need to try things.

Shinnie would cope with Left Back (and lets be honest from the few glimpses we've seen he needs to re-aquaint himself with the role) if we were strong in the middle. If we were soft as shite he would no doubt start trying to fulfil both roles and eventually get caught out because of it.

No idea, but you'd think the a player would probably want to play in the same position week in week out as much as possible.

Still, I'm a bit tired of Consi at LB every week, we need to try things.

We should expect considine to play full back far more often than not and to be fair to him he's been pretty decent on a regular basis the last couple of seasons.

Without, dare I say the height of Taylor nowadays, the manager will always use him to bolster our height for defensive set pieces and to give added protection against the high ball into the box, which being honest is what happens against most teams in the league.