New Stadium Approved

Iam the same king street loon and you summerized exactly how I felt growing up, great start to watching the mighty dons in the 80s 90s then pish,to now get excited about my team again and in hope to bring back the glory days but in a beautiful new facility, training pitches alone is going to make some difference to the team when up and running.

And as for @@Dad

If you could only have orated to the blue rinse brigade we wouldnt have had as many objections ?

You're right son; its been a long stretch of shite tbh the very hint of prospering and its immediate how important it is to get the fuck out and move on. The new stadium comes beautifully nestled in the bossom of real progress. Really makes this era ping with importance - Dandy historians of the future, will recognise now as a defining period in our overall history. Marching on to bigger and better.

Beautiful. Dont forget that it is also a big fuck you to these WANK beauts who will have to drive past it every single day and be reminded that they lost the argument.

Great news - a bit surprised tbh but maybe Wiggy knew it was always in the bag.

We definitely need a new stadium, pity its going to be away from the beach area but we`ll get used to it.

Personally I am delighted about the club finally securing their own training ground - it will simply make us a much more attractive proposition to potential new recruits.

Onwards and upwards.

I'm 40 this year and really to young to have fully embraced, understood and appreciated the Fergie years.

I saw a pretty fucking decent team in the late 80's early 90's and saw some teams get hammered by us at Pittodrie, but then from then on it was absolute dross despite the odd exception.

We're a better watch now, but that has coincided with Pittodrie becoming an absolute shithole.

I appreciate the likes of old manny, Dom, RTYD, Tommy, Mutton Humper will have seen and been to some fantastic nights at Pittodrie and those memories will always be with them, but for me it's time to make new one's and I can't wait.

Around 53 years of going to Pittodrie so it will be strange going elsewhere but free travel softens the blow.

I'm 40 this year and really to young to have fully embraced, understood and appreciated the Fergie years.

I saw a pretty fucking decent team in the late 80's early 90's and saw some teams get hammered by us at Pittodrie, but then from then on it was absolute dross despite the odd exception.

We're a better watch now, but that has coincided with Pittodrie becoming an absolute shithole.

I appreciate the likes of old manny, Dom, RTYD, Tommy, Mutton Humper will have seen and been to some fantastic nights at Pittodrie and those memories will always be with them, but for me it's time to make new one's and I can't wait.

Nicely put... I am also 40 this year so like you have only sketchy memories of the Ferguson years at best.

Of course I’ll eventually get used to the new place, but contemplating leaving behind something which has always been there is just a really weird feeling.

I was lucky enough to be at the Dons greatest ever game at Pittodrie, the come back against Bayern Munich in 83, nothing will ever come close to that atmosphere wise but that has nothing to do with wanting to stay at Pittodrie or within the City, we're fucking Aberdeen not Westhill, moving to a soulless cheap arena on the outskirts of the City will kill the club in the medium term. Does anyone really believe this isn't being driven by motives that go beyond what is best for the club, green belt land will now be brown, opens up housing potential all round the new site.

Milne says we have no other options, he's had 20 years to get a training facility in place, he's done fuck all, he even got the debt he built up paid off by a kind local. Take a look at the South stand, faded 2nd hand yellow seats replace any red one's broken, shamelessly ran down, main stand rusting without even a lick of paint for years, the guy in charge of this decline is now the saviour?? you trust this person to deliver what's best for the club and City?

Any stadium not within walking distance from the rail network and City centre will fail, fact.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Hopefully the club, if this actually gets built... and I'm far convinced that's going to happen... but if it gets built they need to look at making the destination an attractive proposition.

By that I mean don't make it a bare bones, generic football stadium that happens to be newer than the stadium it's replacing.

Things like a club shop, a bar/restaurant/, a kids area... a concourse where you can actually sit and get something to eat and drink... places where people will spend cash...

A modern stadium with more facilities than just a place to take a pish, in other words.

I suspect no thought whatsoever will be given to a concourse, though.

In fairness the club have said they will consult fans in the design and what they want included.

You make a good point about the concourse. I think the club should plan ahead and ensure that it is possible to serve alchohol there (ie not just cans poured into a plastic cup, but actually beer on tap) because there will hopefully be a time when drinking at football is allowed again like in England. If they are hosting rugby or concerts then it would be a vital income stream for that too to have people able to come to the stadium early and drink.

I know some people are worried about rugby being played there, but Ashton Gate for example is the home ground of Bristol City and Bristol Rugby. It has a desso pitch (which Celtic are installing next season) which last up three times longer than normal pitches. Rugby internationals every season will earn Aberdeen a very tidy sum so as long as we've the pitch to handle it bring them on.

20tjgxe.jpg

Shameful stuff.

The "how does he get 8,000 fans from 1300 parking spaces" stuff.

I would have thought it was easy to work out he will very likely be counting the supporters buses that will be parking on site, which would significantly push up the numbers.

Ironic that they're calling him thick when they're not exactly knocking it out of the park themselves.

I was lucky enough to be at the Dons greatest ever game at Pittodrie, the come back against Bayern Munich in 83, nothing will ever come close to that atmosphere wise but that has nothing to do with wanting to stay at Pittodrie or within the City, we're fucking Aberdeen not Westhill, moving to a soulless cheap arena on the outskirts of the City will kill the club in the medium term. Does anyone really believe this isn't being driven by motives that go beyond what is best for the club, green belt land will now be brown, opens up housing potential all round the new site.

Milne says we have no other options, he's had 20 years to get a training facility in place, he's done fuck all, he even got the debt he built up paid off by a kind local. Take a look at the South stand, faded 2nd hand yellow seats replace any red one's broken, shamelessly ran down, main stand rusting without even a lick of paint for years, the guy in charge of this decline is now the saviour?? you trust this person to deliver what's best for the club and City?

Any stadium not within walking distance from the rail network and City centre will fail, fact.

I'm a bit pished right now... but you're 100% on the fucking nose with that post.

Good post, but I would take issue with you on a couple of points. On your observation that the decision to move has been taken on commercial grounds I would agree with you. Milne will make a killing on the sale of Pittodrie and the subsequent housing development of a prime piece of real estate which will cover the cost of the new stadium and still leave him with a tidy profit, but football managing directors are businessmen at the end of the day. If he can buiid a new stadium and at the same time enrich himself he will do it. That's what makes the world go round. The fucking Donalds owned half the prime real estate in Aberdeen, but at the end of the day it was only Dick Donald's ability to recognize a fellow aggressive, ruthless, ambitious cunt in Alex Ferguson that left the legacy they both have contributed to the Dons story.

As to your argument, which basically implies Dons fans are lazy bastards who will not travel any distance to support their team, this, in my opinion, is wrong. Next to the ugly sisters we have the best away support in Scotland with Dons fans dragging themselves in droves to Dingwall, Hamilton, Inverness and Kilmarnock. If 13,800 supporters can get down to Pittodrie, after being gubbed three times on the bounce by the huns, to watch the match against Killie I am pretty sure the will turn up in decent numbers to go the few extra miles to a brand new heaven in Kingsford.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In fairness the club have said they will consult fans in the design and what they want included.

You make a good point about the concourse. I think the club should plan ahead and ensure that it is possible to serve alchohol there (ie not just cans poured into a plastic cup, but actually beer on tap) because there will hopefully be a time when drinking at football is allowed again like in England. If they are hosting rugby or concerts then it would be a vital income stream for that too to have people able to come to the stadium early and drink.

I know some people are worried about rugby being played there, but Ashton Gate for example is the home ground of Bristol City and Bristol Rugby. It has a desso pitch (which Celtic are installing next season) which last up three times longer than normal pitches. Rugby internationals every season will earn Aberdeen a very tidy sum so as long as we've the pitch to handle it bring them on.

I'm trying to think of a time when the club has listen to what the fans have to say or done something that the fans wanted.

AFC doesn't have a great history of pandering to the fans' wants, and in fact seem to relish the idea of butting heads with them given the chance.

Any stadium intended to lure fans out of the city has to have a concourse or at least facilities that make it worth taking your family. you can't just rely on the pissheads like ourselves who were happy to pish against a wall and wade through a river of pish to get to said wall any more. I remember my first visit to Pittodrie as a little kid, and I remember the River O Pish to this day.

People are bit more sophisticated these days. They want flushing toilets and a beer. That's not too much to ask.

Costs are going to increase, and corners are going to get cut... but if they build just another basic, Lego stadium with fuck all to do but watch the fitba, good or bad, where's the incentive to bring the rest of the family?

I like you am in my 30s and don't have too many memories of the "old" Pittodrie. First game 1987 (when I was 6) and what was it, 1992 the beach end was knocked down?

I remember some decent nights - the Scotland u21 win over Germany was a highlight. For Aberdeen, Guilhaus' last minute winner v Rangers in 1991 was great, the first time I had seen the place go nuts - also the first time I saw grown men hug each other and realised just what beating Rangers meant that day. Bizarrely, I also remember fondly a 2-2 draw with Celtic when they came back from two goals down, also in 1991, just because I remember their end going absolute mental in the beach end - a smoke bomb going off to the point we couldn't see the other end of the pitch for five minutes - and for a 10 year old me I was amazed by it all.

But, down came the beach end, up went the RDS. Now, I do love that stand (at least I did until they moved the pitch making it difficult to see the goal line). Since then 95% of games I've been to at Pittodrie I've been in the RDU - and one thing I'll miss about Pittodrie is being able to go to the upper deck and look down into the pitch. Won't quite be the same view even in the back row at Kingsford.

But atmosphere? Torino wasn't bad (was actually in the Merkland that night), beating Dundee United to stay up in 1995, the 6.05pm kick-offs usually had a good atmosphere, 3-2 v Rangers and the 2-0 win that denied them the title were good nights. But Kingsford will more than match those days and hopefully surpass them. Too many of my favourite Dons memories over the last 20 years have been away games rather than at Pittodrie, and that says a lot for the dying atmosphere.

The location ain't great, we need to really work on the transport strategy, but if it goes ahead then let's not cut any corners - let's build a belter of a stadium, up there with the Groupama Arena, Allianz Stadion and Bialystok Stadium. Make it one we're all proud to call our own.

I'm rambling now. Sorry. I'm sceptical it'll ever happen but I'm also a wee bit exited at the prospect of us building a stadium that when full has us all buzzing.

Good post, but I would take issue with you on a couple of points. On your observation that the decision to move has been taken on commercial grounds I would agree with you. Milne will make a killing on the sale of Pittodrie and the subsequent housing development of a prime piece of real estate which will cover the cost of the new stadium and still leave him with a tidy profit, but football managing directors are businessmen at the end of the day. If he can buiid a new stadium and at the same time enrich himself he will do it. That's what makes the world go round. The fucking Donalds owned half the prime real estate in Aberdeen, but at the end of the day it was only Dick Donald's ability to recognize a fellow aggressive, ruthless, ambitious cunt in Alex Ferguson that left the legacy they both have contributed to the Dons story.

As to your argument, which basically implies Dons fans are lazy bastards who will not travel any distance to support their team, this, in my opinion, is wrong. Next to the ugly sisters we have the best away support in Scotland with Dons fans dragging themselves in droves to Dingwall, Hamilton, Inverness and Kilmarnock. If 13,800 supporters can get down to Pittodrie, after being gubbed three times on the bounce by the huns, to watch the match against Killie I am pretty sure the will turn up in decent numbers to go the few extra miles to a brand new heaven in Kingsford.

I was there, be lucky if there was more than 8 thousand.

Milne will make little off the Pittodrie sale, that ship has sailed.

• Downvote 1

Bang on. Memories and the ability to have a pint in a shit hole boozer on King Street are not reasons to stay as we are. I can't wait to get a modern stadium with a standing section and hopefully have a half decent atmosphere. Pittodrie is spent. Time to move on.

Check out the names of some of the NKS cunts: Damon, Darius,Simon etc.

There surely must be a Tarquin in that group too?

Why is it always the Nigels who join the community councils and NIMBY pressure groups?

I think it stems from a love of hearing their own voice, a desire to be heard and a innate need to lord it over the Scots.

Cretinous ponces.

• Upvote 2

There will always be an emotional side to leaving Pittodrie. As you get older you realise how fragile life is. There will always be a friend or family member who has passed that we spent time with at Pittodrie. Come Pittodrie last stand I'm sure we will remember those times as we go down 6-0 to celtic for the 4th time that season.

Some blame milne, I'm not sure but Pittodrie is rarely a good place to watch football. The Richard Donald stand ruined that for me.

I'm excited for the new stadium, to be part of a new history but I won't lie, hoping rather than expecting that the location isn't bad and I'm hoping more than expecting that the club for once gets it right for first time and it's not done on the cheap in a desperate hurry to save money.

I've just got this feeling that after one game v the old firm at kingsford those awful faded yellow seats will reappear in our brand new shiny stadium.

There will always be an emotional side to leaving Pittodrie. As you get older you realise how fragile life is. There will always be a friend or family member who has passed that we spent time with at Pittodrie. Come Pittodrie last stand I'm sure we will remember those times as we go down 6-0 to celtic for the 4th time that season.

Some blame milne, I'm not sure but Pittodrie is rarely a good place to watch football. The Richard Donald stand ruined that for me.

I'm excited for the new stadium, to be part of a new history but I won't lie, hoping rather than expecting that the location isn't bad and I'm hoping more than expecting that the club for once gets it right for first time and it's not done on the cheap in a desperate hurry to save money.

I've just got this feeling that after one game v the old firm at kingsford those awful faded yellow seats will reappear in our brand new shiny stadium.

Oh God. Just dinna go there for the love of fuck.

• Site Sponsor
By saying this, is Ms Boulton implying there was something underhand?

If she was not happy at not being given access to the October report, she would have been not happy before yesterday's vote.

Why then didn't she raise this when on her feet yesterday or make reference to it when putting forward her amendment with recommendation for refusal?

Simply because the vote didn't go her way and she is a sore loser.

Boo hoo.

I'm 10 years younger than you and feel mostly the same. I've enjoyed a few incredible games (4-0 vs Copenhagen, 2-2 with Bayern, Quinn's goal to beat Celtic with 10, ending Celtic's unbeaten run in the snow) there but the vast majority of the time going up there has been a chore.

Onwards and upwards. A better facility and a brighter future awaits.

• Upvote 1

Indeed you do @@RAZOR. I had every confidence in this being voted through as it just made plain sense and I'm glad Councillors weren't hoodwinked by the pish spouted by Boulton or the air time that was granted to the likes of Diane Reid, Heather Brock or Claire Davidson.

If you can make the donation to Alzheimer Scotland mate (https://www.alzscot.org/). Top man!

I didn't want you to let people know I was a charity case.

Did you forget?

So she reads a now obsolete report and then what? Still votes no?

Stupid cow.

Why wasn't she moaning about seeing the report at the time it was relevant? A total bitch. 32-9 in favour, your vote doesn't matter anymore anyway.

On another note, I too am too young to have seen the 80's and early 90's at Pittodrie, so bar the odd game over the years (Copenhagen, Bayern, some v Huns and Tim's) it's usually been pretty dire stuff. That's why most younger guys are keen for the move because Pittodrie holds no emotional attachment like it does for the guys who were around then.

• Upvote 1