New Stadium Approved

Now that it's signed off I've just looked up Kingsford on the map for the first time. It's nearly in fucking Aviemore.

Can understand the appeal of something big, new and glittery. But I hate out of town soulless stadia. As an away fan. I vote No. There has to be a brownfield site in the city boundaries? I know. Fuck all to do with me.

I'm not saying it to score points. Aberdeen away is a great fixture. This will kill it. Families in Mondeos with popcorn and painted faces.

Both Edinburgh and Weegie teams will remain in their communities. Would hate Aberdeen to go the other way. Fuck Kingsford.

I don't give a fuck if all 40 Hearts fans that attend have a shite time tbh.

• Upvote 1

• Site Sponsor

Now that it's signed off I've just looked up Kingsford on the map for the first time. It's nearly in fucking Aviemore.

Can understand the appeal of something big, new and glittery. But I hate out of town soulless stadia. As an away fan. I vote No. There has to be a brownfield site in the city boundaries? I know. Fuck all to do with me.

I'm not saying it to score points. Aberdeen away is a great fixture. This will kill it. Families in Mondeos with popcorn and painted faces.

Both Edinburgh and Weegie teams will remain in their communities. Would hate Aberdeen to go the other way. Fuck Kingsford.

Pish

• Downvote 1
  • Site Sponsor

Well put. I turned 40 this year too and you sum up the situation for our generation of fans well.

We can only hope the memories generated at the new place can match the Pittodrie ones.

Some of the memories were fucking horrendous!!!

Smoke and mirrors from Marie Boulton.
As I understand it she, nor any councillor, had the right to demand to receive the October report given that the meeting was deferred.  The only report that matters is the one she voted on yesterday.

Let's face it, as a former member of Road Sense, she's got form for this type of behaviour when she did a similar thing with the AWPR:
<p><a data-ipb="nomediaparse" href="https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-aberdeen/20130823/281621007989865">https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-aberdeen/20130823/281621007989865</a></p>

Smoke and mirrors from Marie Boulton.

As I understand it she, nor any councillor, had the right to demand to receive the October report given that the meeting was deferred. The only report that matters is the one she voted on yesterday.

Let's face it, as a former member of Road Sense, she's got form for this type of behaviour when she did a similar thing with the AWPR:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-press-and-journal-aberdeen/20130823/281621007989865

Bloody hell what an absolute numpty she sounds. Who on earth votes for these people?

As if any of you cunts make the journey

He was absent according to that.

Surely you are allowed a proxy vote.

As for the No voters, they are entitled to do so but thankfully they were vastly outnumbered.

You'd think a proxy would be allowed, it's not like it's a secret ballot. I'm gonna assume he knew it was a foregone conclusion so he stayed in bed to watch the chase instead.

Now that it's (almost) all approved, how are we paying for it?

Let's be generous and say £20m will come from the sale of the land at Pittodrie, that's £30m we still need to find. Has there been any info released on how the club expects to do this? Sponsorship like naming rights will surely only be a small percentage of what is still needed.

I thought there was word previously that they would be taking out a mortgage for any balance not raised?

I thought there was word previously that they would be taking out a mortgage for any balance not raised?

I have to say the funding is a concern to me also. Like some of the earlier posts I am from the lucky generation so by the time I was 18 I had seen at Pittodrie

The never to be repeated Bayern game (greatest feeling ever when Hewitt scored 60 seconds after McLeish equalised)

Winning the ECWC semi 5-1 to more or less clinch the place in the final

Beating the European Cup holders (Hamburg) 2-0 to win the Super Cup

Peter Weir scoring a double when we beat Ipswitch 3-1 in the UEFA cup (when Ipswitch were good and runners up in England previous season)

Stevie Archibald scoring 4 first half goals against Airdrie in SC QF (before we sold him to Spurs - is he only Aberdeen player ever to play for Barcelona?)

Frank McDougall scoring 4 against Celtic

Any number of other wins against the 2 bigot brothers.

And many more.

I now take my 18-year old son to the footie and he has hardly any similar memories so I understand the many on here who aren't bothered about moving away compared with us older guys who have fonder memories. However memories won't win future trophies so whilst the heart would love to stay the heid says its the right thing to do.

For me though everything comes back to the quality of the team on the park. Having seen the highs of the 80's followed by a long slow slide to the lows of late 90's through to the end of the Brown years followed by the recovery seen in the last few years I would hate to go back to the mediocraty of bottom six places through not having money to spend on the team.

Apologies as that's a long intro to replying to the funding post but wanted to show I am in favour of the move but not to the detriment of the team on the park.

On funding if we assume that the cost is £50M (but we know that the majority of construction projects overrun so no doubt that will be the least it will cost). Phase 1 is said to cost £10M of which we have £6M of funding in place. As this is the training and community part I am happy to believe we will raise the other £4M from a combination of shareholders (Milne/Cormack), individuals sponsoring via their company (Mike Logie etc) and other corporate funders (Statoil etc).

That leaves phase 2, which is predominantly the stadium where the cost is say £40M. The last valuation (June 2017) of the sale of Pittodrie is £15M, could be more, could be less depending on how much interest there is in it at the time from housebuilders. Let's say its £15M so that leaves £25M still to be funded. Naming rights is a bit of a red herring as that typically is paid like sponsorship over a number of years so doesn't help with up front funding, not sure if a debenture type scheme could work here for some corporate seats so as far as I can see the majority of the £25M will need to be funded by the existing shareholders and other rich supporters if we are to avoid being saddled with huge debt again.

A mortgage is just another name for debt and needs to be repaid at some time along with interest. This is a bit simplistic but a £5M mortgage at 5% interest repaid over 25 years would mean annual payments of £350K. I would like to think that would be manageable and not impact on the team budget due to a combination of additional income from naming rights/sponsorship etc plus the saving of the supposed higher running costs of Pittodrie. However if that mortgage is £10M with annual payments of £700K there must surely be a real risk of eating into the team budget.

I have no doubt that the really bad years pre McInnes had a lot to do with lack of spend on the team due to the mountain of debt we built up. We got lucky due to the generosity of the Donalds paying off part of the old debt plus the Bank of Scotland writing off the majority of the old debt which has given us the ability to outspend everyone else in Scotland bar the bigot brothers over the last couple of years

Long may it continue that we are able to attract the best of the rest that don't get lured by the dollar to the bigot brothers via a combination of our football budget plus the new training facilities so as I say despite the fantastic memories looking forward to the move BUT not at the expnse of the team on the park

Well said. A big mortgage would concern me too as the extra freedom we have now means we can make the occasional cash offer for a player, offer our better players a reasonable competitive contract and allows us to turn down offers like the one from Hull.

Here's hoping the funding drive can kick off in earnest now that the application has been approved