New Stadium Approved

Happy for those guys who wanted this change. Haven't been to Pittodrie since 1996 and it was average then.

Hope the club have the numbers down pat and it won't end up being a liability/millstone around the neck.

Having a modern stadium will bring a lift and maybe one day I will get the chance to visit there with my boys. I would like to take them to many stadiums and it would be a shame if my team were still housed in a place that by that stage, is ready for condemnation.

Hopefully building preparation begins at the end of the season.

Now that it's (almost) all approved, how are we paying for it?

Let's be generous and say £20m will come from the sale of the land at Pittodrie, that's £30m we still need to find. Has there been any info released on how the club expects to do this? Sponsorship like naming rights will surely only be a small percentage of what is still needed.

There will always be an emotional side to leaving Pittodrie. As you get older you realise how fragile life is. There will always be a friend or family member who has passed that we spent time with at Pittodrie. Come Pittodrie last stand I'm sure we will remember those times as we go down 6-0 to celtic for the 4th time that season.

Some blame milne, I'm not sure but Pittodrie is rarely a good place to watch football. The Richard Donald stand ruined that for me.

I'm excited for the new stadium, to be part of a new history but I won't lie, hoping rather than expecting that the location isn't bad and I'm hoping more than expecting that the club for once gets it right for first time and it's not done on the cheap in a desperate hurry to save money.

I've just got this feeling that after one game v the old firm at kingsford those awful faded yellow seats will reappear in our brand new shiny stadium.

I think this is how many of us feel. We know Pittodrie isn't fit for purpose anymore and we HOPE more than truly believe that Kingsford will be a success and provide the stadium and facilities the club deserve.

As I say there isn't much alternative - and I'm not saying its impossible for the stadium to go somewhere else just that no other options have been proposed either by the club or by any wealthy fans or fansgoups who might have the knowledge or money to build a case for an alternative. So Kingsford is the only other option on the table.

I was lucky enough to be at the Dons greatest ever game at Pittodrie, the come back against Bayern Munich in 83, nothing will ever come close to that atmosphere wise but that has nothing to do with wanting to stay at Pittodrie or within the City, we're fucking Aberdeen not Westhill, moving to a soulless cheap arena on the outskirts of the City will kill the club in the medium term. Does anyone really believe this isn't being driven by motives that go beyond what is best for the club, green belt land will now be brown, opens up housing potential all round the new site.

Milne says we have no other options, he's had 20 years to get a training facility in place, he's done fuck all, he even got the debt he built up paid off by a kind local. Take a look at the South stand, faded 2nd hand yellow seats replace any red one's broken, shamelessly ran down, main stand rusting without even a lick of paint for years, the guy in charge of this decline is now the saviour?? you trust this person to deliver what's best for the club and City?

Any stadium not within walking distance from the rail network and City centre will fail, fact.

Amen

• Downvote 1

Now that it's (almost) all approved, how are we paying for it?

Let's be generous and say £20m will come from the sale of the land at Pittodrie, that's £30m we still need to find. Has there been any info released on how the club expects to do this? Sponsorship like naming rights will surely only be a small percentage of what is still needed.

I know its radical thinking to folk like you but the club will maybe get a thing called a mortgage?

• Downvote 1

I was lucky enough to be at the Dons greatest ever game at Pittodrie, the come back against Bayern Munich in 83, nothing will ever come close to that atmosphere wise but that has nothing to do with wanting to stay at Pittodrie or within the City, we're fucking Aberdeen not Westhill, moving to a soulless cheap arena on the outskirts of the City will kill the club in the medium term. Does anyone really believe this isn't being driven by motives that go beyond what is best for the club, green belt land will now be brown, opens up housing potential all round the new site.

Milne says we have no other options, he's had 20 years to get a training facility in place, he's done fuck all, he even got the debt he built up paid off by a kind local. Take a look at the South stand, faded 2nd hand yellow seats replace any red one's broken, shamelessly ran down, main stand rusting without even a lick of paint for years, the guy in charge of this decline is now the saviour?? you trust this person to deliver what's best for the club and City?

Any stadium not within walking distance from the rail network and City centre will fail, fact.

I don't think you understand what a fact is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Check out the names of some of the NKS cunts: Damon, Darius,Simon etc.

There surely must be a Tarquin in that group too?

Why is it always the Nigels who join the community councils and NIMBY pressure groups?

I think it stems from a love of hearing their own voice, a desire to be heard and a innate need to lord it over the Scots.

Cretinous ponces.

You just have to watch North Tonight any contentious issue like closing a school a hospital or sacking a lollipop man and its wall to wall guffies, if they're boy happy fuck off back home to your land of hope and glory

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Been going to Pittodrie since 1967. With a few notable exceptions, the last 25 years or so have been a real chore and I've witnessed many unhappy events to say the least. Bye bye pittodrie, bricks and mortar that's all now. I'm looking forward to the new stadium and all it 'promises' to bring. I'm not hugely sold on the location, primarily because the transport links are poor and relying on shuttle buses is a step back in time. However, it's not really about me or my generation now, in fact it's about the next 25, 50, 100 years. Society is changing, habits are changing, people's expectations are changing. The 'pie n bovril' days are disappearing.

Time will tell how successful or otherwise this will be, but I will certainly make the effort to go.

If 10 buses of local gloryhunters can leave aberdeen every week to go to iprix or the tattie dome then for sure we can make an effort to go the 'extra mile'.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Site Sponsor

By saying this, is Ms Boulton implying there was something underhand?

If she was not happy at not being given access to the October report, she would have been not happy before yesterday's vote.

Why then didn't she raise this when on her feet yesterday or make reference to it when putting forward her amendment with recommendation for refusal?

Simply because the vote didn't go her way and she is a sore loser.

Boo hoo.

She says she's an Independent but in reality she's a Tory.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've always been on the fence with this.

Probably verging on being against it.

I get the arguments for it.

I absolutely do.

Just never been convinced by the scaremongering and doomsday scenarios put up by Milne et al.

In that, they have lied to and manipulated the fans on this issue before.

They have also showed gross incompetence over the last 20 years in getting this thing going.

Perhaps Yule was the positive enabling factor this time around that allowed a more professional and feasible approach to the planning.

The location is fairly rank too.

Though I don;t suppose it'll make much difference personally, as my habit is drink in town, taxi to game, taxi back, drink in town.

Journey might not take that much longer really, given some of the snarl ups you encounter currently on way to and back from Pittodrie.

Now that it has been passed, I'm nae that bothered.

It's done, and will be interesting to watch over the progress being made.

Just hope they dinna mak a cunt of the stadium design / internals, and we end up wi' a big McDermid Park or suchlike.

That would suck erse.

• Upvote 1

I think this is how many of us feel. We know Pittodrie isn't fit for purpose anymore and we HOPE more than truly believe that Kingsford will be a success and provide the stadium and facilities the club deserve.

As I say there isn't much alternative - and I'm not saying its impossible for the stadium to go somewhere else just that no other options have been proposed either by the club or by any wealthy fans or fansgoups who might have the knowledge or money to build a case for an alternative. So Kingsford is the only other option on the table.

This isn't strictly true. There were other areas explored, one at Blackdog, one near Portlethen and this one at Kingsford. I only know this through working in planning, but the other two weren't as feasible.

As you have said though, I hope too that Kingsford works and im sure it will. It may not be ideal for some, but as far as i am aware no city center location was explored by the club. I would rather have it at Kingsford than the other two sites that were looked at in the initial stages.

Now that it's signed off I've just looked up Kingsford on the map for the first time. It's nearly in fucking Aviemore.

Can understand the appeal of something big, new and glittery. But I hate out of town soulless stadia. As an away fan. I vote No. There has to be a brownfield site in the city boundaries? I know. Fuck all to do with me.

I'm not saying it to score points. Aberdeen away is a great fixture. This will kill it. Families in Mondeos with popcorn and painted faces.

Both Edinburgh and Weegie teams will remain in their communities. Would hate Aberdeen to go the other way. Fuck Kingsford.

• Upvote 3

Now that it's signed off I've just looked up Kingsford on the map for the first time. It's nearly in fucking Aviemore.

Can understand the appeal of something big, new and glittery. But I hate out of town soulless stadia. As an away fan. I vote No. There has to be a brownfield site in the city boundaries? I know. Fuck all to do with me.

I'm not saying it to score points. Aberdeen away is a great fixture. This will kill it. Families in Mondeos with popcorn and painted faces.

Both Edinburgh and Weegie teams will remain in their communities. Would hate Aberdeen to go the other way. Fuck Kingsford.

I couldn't give a fuck if Aberdeen away is a great fixture for you. Home games are fucking shite for us.

• Downvote 3

This isn't strictly true. There were other areas explored, one at Blackdog, one near Portlethen and this one at Kingsford. I only know this through working in planning, but the other two weren't as feasible.

As you have said though, I hope too that Kingsford works and im sure it will. It may not be ideal for some, but as far as i am aware no city center location was explored by the club. I would rather have it at Kingsford than the other two sites that were looked at in the initial stages.

Well thats what I mean I suppose - that no other options have gotten this far so in that sense its the only option we have right now.

I know some people are really against it but I have said a few times in these threads that the only way to change the clubs mind on that would have been for a group of dons fans with some knowledge or the means to employ others with the knowledge actually worked up a feasibility study or something of that nature to push the club into looking at their alternatives.

ie if fans really wanted to stop this their only hope would have been to organise themselves and make a solid case for an alternative - that didn't really happen as far as I know hence my acceptance that this is really the only option we have right now.

Not that your opinion matters (it doesn't), where should we build it?

• Downvote 2

Boulton can spin as much as she wants...the truth is that as shes planning convener she would have access and certainly seen ALL papers, if she hasnt then shes not doing her job properly and deserves the boot!

Strange why she never mentioned any of this until their humiliating defeat

Boulton can spin as much as she wants...the truth is that as shes planning convener she would have access and certainly seen ALL papers, if she hasnt then shes not doing her job properly and deserves the boot!

Strange why she never mentioned any of this until their humiliating defeat

Or sinister that she didn't

By keeping quiet before the vote, she prevents the planning staff from urgently providing the unseen paperwork, then tries to use it later as a technicality to block the planning process.

My suspicion is she never asked for and never made any attempt to see this paperwork knowing full well she would use it as an argument later.

Kingsford is within the city boundries, if you are talking about the city centre there aren't any spaces large enough.

Once the bypass is finished it will make little difference to fans coming from the south. You'll turn off around Stoneheven and head west rather than head into Aberdeen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't give a fuck about communities or local landlords I'm there to watch a football match, I won't stick for a drink anyway, we'll all find a new routine once it's built

• Downvote 2

I'm 40 this year and really to young to have fully embraced, understood and appreciated the Fergie years.

I saw a pretty fucking decent team in the late 80's early 90's and saw some teams get hammered by us at Pittodrie, but then from then on it was absolute dross despite the odd exception.

We're a better watch now, but that has coincided with Pittodrie becoming an absolute shithole.

I appreciate the likes of old manny, Dom, RTYD, Tommy, Mutton Humper will have seen and been to some fantastic nights at Pittodrie and those memories will always be with them, but for me it's time to make new one's and I can't wait.

Well put. I turned 40 this year too and you sum up the situation for our generation of fans well.

We can only hope the memories generated at the new place can match the Pittodrie ones.

Good thing it won't affect you then since Hearts fans don't travel.

I don't give a fuck if all 40 Hearts fans that attend have a shite time tbh.

• Downvote 2