Sam Cosgrove

Roberto is right in many respects... and fair play to him for speaking up after a rare good showing from Cosgrove, because you are always going to get pelters.

I don't think Cosgrove is a footballer, but on occasions, like last night, he does bring something to the table and can be an absolute handful for defenders.  For what we pay him, he remains a good option to have available within the squad... he is something different and is capable of unsettling opponents.  McInnes needs to pick his moments though..

It's as simple as this. There are too many players that DMc has signed that aren't good enough to play for AFC. Cosgrove is one of them. Just because they play in a red shirt it doesn't mean that we all collectively have to fawn over them and praise them to high heaven. Sure, we all want him to score a goal. Anyone who actively wants him to hoof the ball into Row Z can't really call themselves a Dons fan now can they ?

However, being able to be objective enough to go "If he's really the best player we can attract to the club..." then the game's a bogey. That's being smart and astute. In the same way that the more joyous of our fans can claim that our more reasoned of curmudgeonly fans are happy to criticise those players (who are ostensibly not good enough to play for the Dons) they also need to realise that being objective is a trait that might suit them every so often...

I'm genuinely interested to understand what you think he did last night that equates to him being excellent?

I'm not going to sit through the game and pick every piece. He held it up well and brought others into play with headers. Added to that were...

Cross for McGinn goal.

Goal himself, good finish (hitting the crossbar doesn't make it shite)

Was unlucky not to score another which just knicked the defenders toe.

What else does he have to do to have a good game? Even if you thought he played shite in general, Rooney done that and I was repeatedly told that he done his job because he scored (don't fully agree with this logic but for the sake of the argument we will go with it). So if that's the case then Cosgrove done his job.

I'm not going to sit through the game and pick every piece. He held it up well and brought others into play with headers. Added to that were...

Cross for McGinn goal.

Goal himself, good finish (hitting the crossbar doesn't make it shite)

Was unlucky not to score another which just knicked the defenders toe.

What else does he have to do to have a good game? Even if you thought he played shite in general, Rooney done that and I was repeatedly told that he done his job because he scored (don't fully agree with this logic but for the sake of the argument we will go with it). So if that's the case then Cosgrove done his job.

Cosgrove did his job last night.  I agree with this statement.

I disagree with your earlier statement that he was superb.

If Cosgrove does his job on a regular basis, i'll be happy.  The evidence suggests however, doing his job is a rare occurence.

Can't believe folk are saying he played well last night.

Ok by his own standards he played well, but by any other standards he still looks mince.

Volley from 12 yards nearly cleared the Dick

Header from 8 yards, 12 yards wide

Even his goal went in off the crossbar from 3 yards

And those were the good bits.

First touch is honking.  So many times it just bounced off him out of play or straight to the opposition.  Yes he won a couple of headers but hes about 9 foot 7.

Sorry, I can't see anything other than a below average footballer here.  I'd love him to be good, but he's not.

This post is the definition of confirmation bias. You've decided he's shite, so you only remember things which reinforce your view.

• Upvote 1

I seem to have promoted some debate by bumping this thread.

Still think he had a really good game last night, by his standards. But for me that has been few and far between. I've often described him as being as effective as a lampost with no bulb in it.

Yes he's young and raw, but at what point do we say, hold on you're not getting any better on a consistent basis.

You're not paying attention. There is obviously a lot of work being done with him in training as Sam is improving now game by game. He is consistently winning ball in the air and on the ground. His lay offs are actually really good and in the air he changes the direction of the ball by turning his head at the last minute which catches defences out. He is starting to link up really well with his teammates and anyone who can criticise him after the huge effort he put in last night which produced a brilliant assist, a goal, a marvellous cross field pass, and an aerial challenge which won the corner for the winner, is more obsessed with trotting out the same old "raw" stuff rather than saying what they see. I predict he will feature strongly in our goals against the Buddies and the Dee. Go on Sam !

• Site Sponsor

You're not paying attention. There is obviously a lot of work being done with him in training as Sam is improving now game by game. He is consistently winning ball in the air and on the ground. His lay offs are actually really good and in the air he changes the direction of the ball by turning his head at the last minute which catches defences out. He is starting to link up really well with his teammates and anyone who can criticise him after the huge effort he put in last night which produced a brilliant assist, a goal, a marvellous cross field pass, and an aerial challenge which won the corner for the winner, is more obsessed with trotting out the same old "raw" stuff rather than saying what they see. I predict he will feature strongly in our goals against the Buddies and the Dee. Go on Sam !

You tell him, Mr Cosgrove

Why the fuck we appealing a dive when it clearly was a dive

It wasn't. The defender caught Sam's left foot outside the box and he fell into the box so not a pen but it was a free kick not given and we could have scored from it so close to the box.  So that's just you and Craig Thomson at Pittodrie last night who thought it was a dive. Or were you not there? 

It wasn't. The defender caught Sam's left foot outside the box and he fell into the box so not a pen but it was a free kick not given and we could have scored from it so close to the box. So that's just you and Craig Thomson at Pittodrie last night who thought it was a dive. Or were you not there?

Come ashore min it was clear as day big gangly hoor tripped himself up

Good shout. Not to single him out but....Wright clearly had no idea what a knock on actually is, or when to gamble or how to take full advantage.