Aberdeen 4 - 2 Dundee United

Yep.

And on McLean now finding form again it has to be said.

We just need to get the back line sorted out.

It's quite gutting that we are seeing the level of performance from McLean we all know he is capable of but hasn't been showing. He has been one of our better players for the last few weeks.

McGinn has slotted back in beautifully, delighted he is back after being slightly apprehensive.

Yep.

And on McLean now finding form again it has to be said.

We just need to get the back line sorted out.

I just don't see the defence being sorted with the current squad unless Devlin comes back in good form after his injury and strikes up a good partnership with McKenna which is probably the ideal outcome. It's interesting that McKenna has gone from 5th or 6th choice centre back to very quickly being 1st choice. Says a lot about the other 4/5 (Arnason, O'Connor, Reynolds, Considine, Ball) at centre back for various different reasons.

I think we have bigger problems in the central midfield area though which put pressure on our back 4. Our central midfield options are full of sticking plaster fixes, especially if our preference is for Shinnie to revert to left back at some stage. Add Mclean leaving in the summer and you have a huge hole. But we've all said this many times over the season and its all a bit boring now for most I suppose.

Happy enough with the performance. A wee bit slack at times but never a chance of a shock.

Poor use of the subs (again). 4-1 up with 30mins to go v a poor side was an ideal time to get players on to get some game time and to give some starters a rest.

Well done not asking what the crowd would have been at Kingsford given the Baltic weather.

Respect.

The subs thing frustrates me. Mcinnes every season moans that the players are burnt out yet doesnt take the opportunity to rest players when he can.

Said to the mates I was with yesterday, at 4-1 youd be looking to take McGinn, Maclean and wither GMS/Christie off. Keep them fresh for the next two games.

Yep, so many of us can see it and its frustrating as fuck.

McInnes made a comment after the collective arses collapsed in the last 10 mins at Ross County that he made too many changes and unsettled the team. I assume he was making sure the same didn't happen again.

Equally, with no midweek games last week or this week so it's not like anyone should be needing a rest.

Still would've liked to see Chidi get a run out but makes sense why he didn't.

Also, Willo Flood remains utter shite.

He's bang on. Logan almost always backs off players when they are running at him.

Armstrong's goal in the cup final last year is another example that immediately springs to mind.

Yup. He very rarely makes a tackle 1v1. Continually jockeys attackers into his own box.

Logan is often guilty of not closing by down . He doesn't even have to that 'tight'. Another step forward cuts out the angle and also allows him to get a block on the ball .

The way he positions himself just now invites a shot and also blocks the keeper's view.

Agree with this, is always my concern with Shay that he tends to back off and invite the shot.

Armstrong goal in last years final another case in point.

So you're happy they relaxed a bit when the 4th went in? That makes you a loser according to robbojunior.

Trying to pit two other people against each other in a discussion rather than counter the things asked of you. Classic unhinged behaviour, misdirection, deflection.

Not even kidding mate: see a shrink. You are unwell.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, it's just the high profile one that everyone remembers.

If you were to bother scrolling through the videos of all our games, you'd find countless examples of him doing this.

Issue I have is the trend for bashing defenders, rather than acknowledging that goals happen, or opposition teams made good attacking plays.

No office, but internet forum generalisations like yours are basically meaningless: if someone with video editing software and unlimited free time wants to edit a montage of every goal we conceded over a period, such as Logan's Aberdeen career, then we'd have some tangible evidence and might see a pattern developing. Until then, you've said nothing of any merit. Sorry.

Maybe we'd find him at fault, maybe him having been here a long time means the opposition have found ways to counter him. That's what I'm saying.

Also, being a defender sucks now, every tackle is a yellow card risk. Consi and Shinnie played with cards for two thirds of the game, so closing down becomes the preferred option to slicing attackers in half.

Issue I have is the trend for bashing defenders, rather than acknowledging that goals happen, or opposition teams made good attacking plays.

No office, but internet forum generalisations like yours are basically meaningless: if someone with video editing software and unlimited free time wants to edit a montage of every goal we conceded over a period, such as Logan's Aberdeen career, then we'd have some tangible evidence and might see a pattern developing. Until then, you've said nothing of any merit. Sorry.

Maybe we'd find him at fault, maybe him having been here a long time means the opposition have found ways to counter him. That's what I'm saying.

Also, being a defender sucks now, every tackle is a yellow card risk. Consi and Shinnie played with cards for two thirds of the game, so closing down becomes the preferred option to slicing attackers in half.

I'm not saying to scroll through every goal we've ever conceded and find someone to blame.

I'm saying if you watch Logan when he defends, near enough every time he will continue to back off and back off and allow the attacker to keep coming forward unchallenged.

I'm not bashing him, he's the best full back we've had in years, i'm saying that it's a big flaw in his game and it does / has cost us goals.

I'm not saying to scroll through every goal we've ever conceded and find someone to blame.

I'm saying if you watch Logan when he defends, near enough every time he will continue to back off and back off and allow the attacker to keep coming forward unchallenged.

I'm not bashing him, he's the best full back we've had in years, i'm saying that it's a big flaw in his game and it does / has cost us goals.

I'm also a big Logan fan but it is a bit of an issue. You only have to go back to the recent Kilmarnock game and their goal where he backed off of Jordan Jones for a good 20 yards and let him run deep into our box which led directly to their goal.

Not sure why he feels the need to do it as he has got good pace to run alongside a winger and show him down the line before blocking any cross. Usually a full back will back off when he is short of pace to avoid getting done for speed e.g. Considine

Consi and Shinnie played with cards for two thirds of the game, so closing down becomes the preferred option to slicing attackers in half.

Considine's yellow card tackle was a thing of beauty and it was something that had to be done to calm down their no12.

But the Logan doubters in here are correct; I think he is guilty of backing off a bit too much. His second-half performance against Kilmarnock was superb, he was tough to get past and stood up to them better. To be a good defender, you don't need to tackle, you need to make life difficult for the attacking player and Logan hasn't been doing this enough; even merely just showing an attacker to the side would force a striker to make a decision; King had carte blanche to do what he liked in the build-up to their second goal. The best full-back that ever drew breath was Javier Zanetti. Two red cards in his career, 12 years apart. Such a technically gifted footballer he could probably play up front and score 20 a season. He was tough but I don't remember him much having to make last-ditch tackles. He was magnificent.

• Upvote 1