Hibernian 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Another big game more tactical rope-a-dope from McInnes.

He's obviously never watched that match till then end when Ali comes off the ropes and floors Foreman.

That's the bit we can't do; never.

Why can't McInnes learn this?

It’s so frustrating, yesterday was almost expected, when I heard it was to going to be a big crowd I started to wonder if Mcinnes would change his tactics and poop his pants. He should have known hibs would be up for this, Lennon would have them fired up after we humiliated them at pittodrie. A win against Celtic is now a must at pittodrie, same goes for the Huns and Hibs. Cup final minimum too or this season can be classed as a step backwards.

Michael Stewart picked up on this 10 mins in today. Given GMS was sitting back they just advanced one of their back 4 forwards which is why we looked overrun in midfield. We were. The spare man (McGinn and Rooney) were scratching their arses up front.

Even more incredulous is that we let Efe Ambrose off with an easy day. In both games GMS has torn the hibs defence on new one and then DM plays him wing back?????

With every defeat it just reinforces how poor the summer recruitment was. Mentioned before and will no doubt mention it again, but of all our signings, who are the successes?

There are positions that will have to wait to the summer to be filled, a full year since it was apparent. We had to re-sign McGinn to fill his space in the squad! Results like yesterday have been coming all season, we've been average at best and good enough to beat the dross in the league, but as soon as we're faced with a tougher opponent we struggle to even score, never mind win. The Hibs 4-1 game (best performance of the season by some distance) is the exception.

We're not going to be great every season, far from it, and last season from Feb-May was probably the best Aberdeen have played for 25 years. A tough act to follow but not really possible at all given recruitment. We've been crying out for pace, width, CB all season. Then you could argue either a LB or a CM.

Big summer for McInnes, he won't be given as much slack next season.

Even more incredulous is that we let Efe Ambrose off with an easy day. In both games GMS has torn the hibs defence on new one and then DM plays him wing back?????

This is a complete failing tactically. GMS has played very well in 2 previous games v Hibs and up until yesterday was in a very decent run of form.

Without professing to being some footballing genius, is the weakest part of hibs team not both their full backs, ambrose and Stevenson ?

Why the fuck then are GMS and McGinn not high and wide with a clear instruction to the team to feed them the ball as much as possible.

When the fuck is he going to learn we do not have the players for this formation.

We are a team who set up best as a 4-2-3-1, FFS it's not difficult.

• Upvote 6

With every defeat it just reinforces how poor the summer recruitment was. Mentioned before and will no doubt mention it again, but of all our signings, who are the successes?

There are positions that will have to wait to the summer to be filled, a full year since it was apparent. We had to re-sign McGinn to fill his space in the squad! Results like yesterday have been coming all season, we've been average at best and good enough to beat the dross in the league, but as soon as we're faced with a tougher opponent we struggle to even score, never mind win. The Hibs 4-1 game (best performance of the season by some distance) is the exception.

We're not going to be great every season, far from it, and last season from Feb-May was probably the best Aberdeen have played for 25 years. A tough act to follow but not really possible at all given recruitment. We've been crying out for pace, width, CB all season. Then you could argue either a LB or a CM.

Agree with most of that. A lot of folk hanging on to our 4-1 win against Hibs as a sign we can play well against the better teams. Should be remembered that they had just played both of the ugly sisters (and given them a good game) in the 6 days prior to our home victory and looked knackered from the first minute.

Agree with most of that. A lot of folk hanging on to our 4-1 win against Hibs as a sign we can play well against the better teams. Should be remembered that they had just played both of the ugly sisters (and given them a good game) in the 6 days prior to our home victory and looked knackered from the first minute.

And I'm not sure if anyone could have thought GMS had it in him to play as well as he done that day. A flash in the pan.

Games that matter? Considering it's three points on offer in every game, they all matter, and McInnes has more points than Lennon.

If Hibs-Aberdeen is a big game, then McInnes has a better record in it. He's won two of them this season and the Scottish Cup semi. Or is it only a big game when we lose?

If cup games are big games, then you might notice Hibs aren't actually in it anymore as they lost "a game that mattered".

People are getting over excited about Lennon because he's won at Ibrox twice (forgetting that they blew a 1-0 lead at home to Rangers and lost).

They were the better team today, but this obsession with picking opposition managers and arguing they're better than McInnes is a boring trend some seem to have developed. It used to be Tommy Wright, now he's struggling it seems Lennon is flavour of the month.

Very well expressed point of view. I agree. McInnes has his faults, like every other Manager. The grass is not greener on the other side, we are not entitled to win every game.

Most games we don't need much in the way tactics - i.e. we have players who are better than the average in the league, & can overcome opposition without help of 'management'

When it comes to games where we need those strategies, we are constantly found wanting.

Aye. We play these teams usually with a 4-2-3-1 formation and for the most part look fairly compact with a good balance of attack and defence. We then play top 6 sides and I can only assume that McInnes doesn't trust his players are good enough to beat them with that formation. Either that or he is trying to be some sort of tactical genius which he has proved he is not.

It does beggar belief that after beating Hibs so emphatically at Pittodrie he then decides to change the formation we played that day the very next time we play them. GMS scored a hat-trick against them then next time we play them he's a wing back where he can't do the same damage?

We are not a great defensive team or particularly robust McInnes must have worked that out by now. Our strength is our attacking play in a 4-2-3-1 formation we have goals in the team if set up correctly. We completely nullified Hibs and their much vaunted wide men at Pittodrie by playing 4-2-3-1 and playing on the front foot with pace and controlled aggression. Considine didn't need protecting that day as we imposed our strengths on Hibs.

When McInnes goes more defensive and cautious we tend to lose the only time we didn't this season was that 1-0 grind of a win at Motherwell where I thought we were quite fortunate to come away with 3 points. But that win seems to be the exception rather than the norm when DM goes cautious with his formation.

• Upvote 2

100 per cent irrelevant to the point i made. We beat them as comprehensively at Pittodrie was my point. IE the "Lennon is a master and has created an amazing attacking side" is based on 1 game against us.

Did you say the reverse about Mcinnes when we took them apart?

You are misreprentimg what i said i did not say Lennon was a "master" of anything..only they he can put an attacking team on the p[itch.

And YES i think he is a better manager than McInnes

It does beggar belief that after beating Hibs so emphatically at Pittodrie he then decides to change the formation we played that day the very next time we play them. GMS scored a hat-trick against them then next time we play them he's a wing back where he can't do the same damage?

We are not a great defensive team or particularly robust McInnes must have worked that out by now. Our strength is our attacking play in a 4-2-3-1 formation we have goals in the team if set up correctly. We completely nullified Hibs and their much vaunted wide men at Pittodrie by playing 4-2-3-1 and playing on the front foot with pace and controlled aggression. Considine didn't need protecting that day as we imposed our strengths on Hibs.

When McInnes goes more defensive and cautious we tend to lose the only time we didn't this season was that 1-0 grind of a win at Motherwell where I thought we were quite fortunate to come away with 3 points. But that win seems to be the exception rather than the norm when DM goes cautious with his formation.

Spot on again min . Fancy the job ?

Am I the only one who reckons we just dont know how to play GMS. The slow lumbering ball round the back 4 to him with two opposition players on his back is pointless. High balls? Pointless. Even kennys Hollywood 50 yarder that he has to take on his chest is unlikely to bear fruit. The ball is surely in behind the full back for him to run onto. Very rare we do it. And Lennon crowding the midfield yesterday stopped us doing it. Plus he seemed to be told to play deep anyway which is the worst bit of his game.

Really what Im saying is Hayes naturally fitted Deeks defend and counter style. GMS doesnt.

It was so poor last summer as he didn't expect to be here...

If this is McInnes being given slack then I really dread to see the nick of some folk on here next season.
  • Downvote 6

Am I the only one who reckons we just dont know how to play GMS. The slow lumbering ball round the back 4 to him with two opposition players on his back is pointless. High balls? Pointless. Even kennys Hollywood 50 yarder that he has to take on his chest is unlikely to bear fruit. The ball is surely in behind the full back for him to run onto. Very rare we do it. And Lennon crowding the midfield yesterday stopped us doing it. Plus he seemed to be told to play deep anyway which is the worst bit of his game.

Really what Im saying is Hayes naturally fitted Deeks defend and counter style. GMS doesnt.

Agree. We very seldom manoeuvre the ball around to create the space behind their defenders. GMS and Scott Wright inevitably have to drop deep to receive the ball and nearly always do so when facing their own goal. This reduces their effectiveness and slows down our attacks.

If this is McInnes being given slack then I really dread to see the nick of some folk on here next season.

Here, go and shut up. Everyone who travelled to Edinburgh has the right to complain. I was fairly pished but I can remember thinking "we've been fucking awful." As someone else has mentioned, we choke big games. The only two big games we've won this season were against Hibs, so, to combat that McInnes changes the formation. It was uninspiring tepid shite, and a waste of our time. GMS is not, and never will be, a wing back. Absolutely shocking management to suggest he could be, anyway, shut up. Everyone has a right to be pissed off with another shite showing.

I think he needs it in space, mcginn first half was on his toes the whole time which compressed the space on that side and left none for him to work in or niall himself for that matter. GMS is also physically weak in the challenge and is too easy to knock off the ball.

I also think Christie has been found out, which doesn't bode well for him, he's very left sided and always wants to turn to that side and the hibs midfielders and defenders were just waiting for him to do it, and he just ism't robust enough to shield it or hold off the defenders.

It's a problem.

He can't play versus timothy so I'd play Niall in that role and G-Stew (christ) wide right.

Here, go and shut up. Everyone who travelled to Edinburgh has the right to complain. I was fairly pished but I can remember thinking "we've been fucking awful." As someone else has mentioned, we choke big games. The only two big games we've won this season were against Hibs, so, to combat that McInnes changes the formation. It was uninspiring tepid shite, and a waste of our time. GMS is not, and never will be, a wing back. Absolutely shocking management to suggest he could be, anyway, shut up. Everyone has a right to be pissed off with another shite showing.

Likewise I have a right to voice whatever opinion I have so telling me to shut up just completely undermines the stance you are taking.

Its football pal, you win some you lose some.

Spot on. Losing at Easter Rd is understandable - Hibs are decent and in form - but setting up and playing like we did yesterday is completely unacceptable. 3 at the back with GMS as a left wing-back is just embarrassing, basically just a massive ‘fuck you’ to the 2,000 Aberdeen fans who were at the game yesterday.

By the way, it looked to me like we changed the defensive set-up three times in the opening 20 minutes alone. Started as a 3, then switched to a flat back 4, then back to a 3 again. Reminiscent of Calderwood at his most clueless.

if a job in the English championship came up and they haf to choose between popcorn teeth and the bottler, no doubt its lennon everytime.

the only route for mcinnes to england now will be league 1 at best and take them up or if in couple years he takes Scotland job and does well.

If that was the case it would be some to his record with Celtic, as he certainly has not done a better job with Hibs than McInnes has with Aberdeen.

And Lennon will have to do a lot more to he considered for a championship job after his spell at Bolton.

If that was the case it would be some to his record with Celtic, as he certainly has not done a better job with Hibs than McInnes has with Aberdeen.

And Lennon will have to do a lot more to he considered for a championship job after his spell at Bolton.

Completely agree. When Lennon was winning the league with Celtic and doing pretty well in Champions League the best he could do when he moved on was the basket case that is Bolton, crazy to think he merits any better with what he has done at Hibs so far.

Spot on. Losing at Easter Rd is understandable - Hibs are decent and in form - but setting up and playing like we did yesterday is completely unacceptable. 3 at the back with GMS as a left wing-back is just embarrassing, basically just a massive fuck you to the 2,000 Aberdeen fans who were at the game yesterday.

By the way, it looked to me like we changed the defensive set-up three times in the opening 20 minutes alone. Started as a 3, then switched to a flat back 4, then back to a 3 again. Reminiscent of Calderwood at his most clueless.

Agree with all the above. Can take losing but that old cliche of 'there's ways to lose games' is true. Hibs away is a tough game, which is precisely why our players shirked responsibility. McLean tried his best, McKenna was OK. Ryan Christie absolutely invisible. Our big players go missing all too often in these games. However, that all falls at the managers door for me. Strange tactics and formation and the expected result. Deserved to get beat. Players were misplaced and clearly not motivated because of that. GMS wing back experiment is absolutely never working.