Scotland V Peru & Mexico

Matt Phillips is not a striker, and should not be played as such. The thumb should lead the line for Scotland in the competitive games.

Agreed on both points. McBurnie looks to have something about him, however, he already is starting to look like a Steven Fletcher type i.e. good all-round game but rarely a goal threat.

It may not be important to you or some others however it will be an important aspiration for the likes of Shinnie/McKenna etc. If they arent getting capped at Aberdeen then they may feel the need to move elsewhere to be capped regularly and play at the highest level.

Very much this. Strachan completely undermined us and the league with his refusal to cap players playing in Scotland. All that does is encourage players to move down South and sit on the bench of some shite team.

I don't get the excitement for Shinnie getting a cap.

He may start in Mexico and we'll never see him again.

The national side is a complete embarrassment, and will continue to be under a fucking drunk waste of space manager.

Not exited myself, just pleased for the skipper. He's given a lot to our cause and he'll be delighted.

How did he do?

I've taped it to watch tonight after work

See that mckenna was kept on the whole game, McLeish definitely trying to make him a mainstay

Superb

Got done up like a kipper for the penalty, by Archer - who had a Karius-esque game! Apart from that, looked a helluva lot more comfortable than the rest of his colleagues. I didn't think he was particularly troubled - conceded two goals, but they were absolute howlers by the goalie.

It's been a tough start for McLeish to be fair. He's trying to give young players experience and freshen up the team. He's also taking on Peru and Mexico, who're good sides, without some of our best players (Gordon, Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong).

I wasn't in favour of McLeish but i'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He's playing young players and players in form. Rather than, as you say, just picking diddies from the English Championship.

The fact he picked Archer ahead of John Mcglaughlin has proven that he has learned nothing from predecessors. I was initially encouraged by his appointment but last night has only brought reality back with a bang.

As someone said, at least it was only a friendly. Let's hope he learns and moves forward.

The biggest worry in the squad is still strikers or lack off strikers for me. Yon McBurnie is woeful and he appears to be the best one.

However, most of the players can't be arsed turning up when called so it hardly does much for the interest of the supporters back home.

On a sidenote. A well deserved and long time coming cap for Shinnie. It's what he's wanted for a long time and I'm really chuffed for him.

I won't start judging McLeish until the competitive games start.

He's doing the right thing giving other guys a game in the friendlies. In just 3 games so far we now know that Archer shouldn't be near the team and McKenna and Hendry are no worse / possibly a better pairing than the Martin / Hanley / other English championship guys we persevered with at the back for years.

Would we have found that out under Strachan? No way.

• Upvote 1

I won't start judging McLeish until the competitive games start.

He's doing the right thing giving other guys a game in the friendlies. In just 3 games so far we now know that Archer shouldn't be near the team and McKenna and Hendry are no worse / possibly a better pairing than the Martin / Hanley / other English championship guys we persevered with at the back for years.

Would we have found that out under Strachan? No way.

I agree to an extent.

Its a bit like the Bertie era though:

Its great to see some new faces given a chance and no doubt some of them are grabbing it BUT sooner or later there has to be shape/strategy to the team that allows us to get results - or even 2 or 3 well practiced shapes/strategies.

And that is where I fear McLeish might not have a clue.

Wouldn't go as far to say it's a bit like Vogts yet.

It's not like he's capping guys like Garry Kenneth, he's capping guys that most of us have said at one point or another under Strachan were at least worth a look.

Tactically yes, who knows what he's up to. But I'd rather he experimented in the friendlies than in our competitive games.

It's not like he's capping guys like Garry Kenneth, he's capping guys that most of us have said at one point or another under Strachan were at least worth a look.

Tactically yes, who knows what he's up to. But I'd rather he experimented in the friendlies than in our competitive games.

It wasn't meant as a simple negative - vogts was actually a lot better than many people think. I quite liked him and managers who came after got the benefit of many of the players he introduced

The point I was trying to make is that like vogts McLeish is brave enough to give new players a chance rather then take the safety first approach of sticking to the same old... But it has to also be combined with an actual strategy for the team and what types of players that will require.

Exactly

Folk complaining about McLeish trying people in a friendly against Peru are either high or thick

Strachan got blamed for playing full strength in friendlies

This is why football forums are, banter aside, pointless

Why do you frequent one on such a regular basis then?

L O L

O

L O L

The fact he picked Archer ahead of John Mcglaughlin has proven that he has learned nothing from predecessors. I was initially encouraged by his appointment but last night has only brought reality back with a bang.

As someone said, at least it was only a friendly. Let's hope he learns and moves forward.

The biggest worry in the squad is still strikers or lack off strikers for me. Yon McBurnie is woeful and he appears to be the best one.

However, most of the players can't be arsed turning up when called so it hardly does much for the interest of the supporters back home.

On a sidenote. A well deserved and long time coming cap for Shinnie. It's what he's wanted for a long time and I'm really chuffed for him.

Forward area definitely still the biggest problem.

Beyond thumb we have really seem to have no good options at the moment.

Well done to Shinnie getting capped. He won't get picked as a midfielder, not creative enough and gives away too many dumb free kicks and gets booked.

His best position is LB - so is Robertson and Tierney. He's not in the same league. Limited international career, imo.

I can't remember who it was we played, but Strachan was interviewed in the aftermath of a pathetic 1-1 draw at home to one of the Eastern European sides (could have been Lithuania).

Afterwards, he bemoaned the performance and said it reminded him of an English Championship game.

Funnily enough, he'd picked about 8 English Championship players that night.

Well done to Shinnie getting capped. He won't get picked as a midfielder, not creative enough and gives away too many dumb free kicks and gets booked.

His best position is LB - so is Robertson and Tierney. He's not in the same league. Limited international career, imo.

Sadly very true.

For as bad as it got under Vogts, he's the last manager to get us to a play-off place. Bloody hell that's depressing.

I can't remember who it was we played, but Strachan was interviewed in the aftermath of a pathetic 1-1 draw at home to one of the Eastern European sides (could have been Lithuania).

Afterwards, he bemoaned the performance and said it reminded him of an English Championship game.

Funnily enough, he'd picked about 8 English Championship players that night.

Hes nae the brightest WGS and was far more interested in coming out with quick one liners than anything else...

As pointless as these games seem,it gives new/inexperienced players a taste of international fitba against two sides who made the World Cup,in games were nae expected to get anything from.No pressure to get a result and not expected to get one either.

Nae great for the likes of Shinnie and McGeough who could do with a rest after a long season but great experience nonetheless.

Watched it.

So... Atmosphere was great and will be a good experience for the players.

4 at the back this time - not sure if that's to stay or not

Shinnie is more mobile than McGeoch but McGeoch better suited to the holding role really.

Sorry to say I see no point whatsoever in capping Stevenson at 30. This is something I've moaned about before - a lot of players need 10-15 caps under their belt before they really perform at international level absolute zero point starting that process with a 30 year old.

Archer really was crap and shouldn't be back anytime soon.

Otherwise we were solid enough against a decent team if a bit stuffy and not really in possession much.

If we are playing a defensive 4-5-1 we need to work out how hr fuck to get the ball up the park and make it stick, no idea how this would work with Griffiths who is our best striker by a mile. Maybe a 4-4-1-1 type of thing with Griffiths in behind so someone.

Oh and Peru looked good but not anything like 11th in the world imo.

He has done really well for the Dons and I see ne reason why he can't continue to get better if he is given the chance.

Boy is a fucking hero, he has the heart for the game compared to a lot of other prima donnas who "play" for Scotland.

Give him a chance I'd say.

He has done really well for the Dons and I see ne reason why he can't continue to get better if he is given the chance.

Boy is a fucking hero, he has the heart for the game compared to a lot of other prima donnas who "play" for Scotland.

Give him a chance I'd say.

HAHAHAHAHA just because you heart doesn't mean you have the technical ability to play at international level.

Senegal 2002

South Africa 2010

Iceland 2016

Plenty others who don't have technical ability but they had heart for the game and surprised many.

Shinnie however will get 1 more cap IMO and never play again because he's not good enough in the position he's deployed in unlike those he competes with.

I think you might be right however if he can continue to run all over McGinn next season (if he is still there) like he normally does then there might be a chance of him playing more games for Scotland.