The Mckenna Dilemma

• 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

This (money/club influence) was the main reason for the demise of International football.

When an English second division club takes on more importance than the national side.

I’m talking about people’s preferences, regardless of who the individual fan supports.

Most fans care far more about club football & see the international break as a complete pain in the arse.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
7 minutes ago, the_shrimp said:

Scotland haven't been half decent since the mid 90s!

Aye, after I wrote that I thought about editing it to quarter decent then maybe even 0.05% decent. 

Basically under Walter Smith and Alex McLeish when we could give decent teams a game and McFadden was exciting to watch. Or even the real glory days of Berti Vogts when we actually qualified for real play offs

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye, after I wrote that I thought about editing it to quarter decent then maybe even 0.05% decent. 

Basically under Walter Smith and Alex McLeish when we could give decent teams a game and McFadden was exciting to watch. Or even the real glory days of Berti Vogts when we actually qualified for real play offs

It's a laugh that we could scrap a 1-0 or 0-0 on pens and qualify with this team of motherwell, livingston and killie players.

Far far better squads made a complete arse of things the last 25 years.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We never ever qualified for any major tournament under berti Vogts?,

he got us to a humiliating playoff vs the Dutch but got horsed 6-1 or 6-0 can’t quite remember, GWT got us to the last international tournament of note 

it sucks that it was durie,booth,Gallagher that was our last international strike force, France 1998 for fucks sake.ages ago

26 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

We never ever qualified for any major tournament under berti Vogts?,

he got us to a humiliating playoff vs the Dutch but got horsed 6-1 or 6-0 can’t quite remember, GWT got us to the last international tournament of note 

it sucks that it was durie,booth,Gallagher that was our last international strike force, France 1998 for fucks sake.ages ago

Aye, thats what I said. Qualified for play offs. No Scotland manager has as much as qualified for the play offs since Berti. Apart from these Nations League ones which appear to almost be randomly generated. 

59 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye, thats what I said. Qualified for play offs. No Scotland manager has as much as qualified for the play offs since Berti. Apart from these Nations League ones which appear to almost be randomly generated. 

Aye a couldn’t quite remember it’s been that long ago, wait till we see the next nations league, if we win this one! we will get horsed 5-0 every game 

19 hours ago, Tord31 said:

It's a laugh that we could scrap a 1-0 or 0-0 on pens and qualify with this team of motherwell, livingston and killie players.

Far far better squads made a complete arse of things the last 25 years.

I'm much happier seeing a Scotland team of Motherwell, Livingston and Killie players than a squad full of players who sit on the bench for rangers & celtic, or play poorly in the English championship. We've been crying out for as long as I can remember to pick players who are playing well, and Clarke has done that. Hopefully he's rewarded with qualification.

2 hours ago, Ramandu said:

I'm much happier seeing a Scotland team of Motherwell, Livingston and Killie players than a squad full of players who sit on the bench for rangers & celtic, or play poorly in the English championship. We've been crying out for as long as I can remember to pick players who are playing well, and Clarke has done that. Hopefully he's rewarded with qualification.

Agree. That has been very frustrating. 

People say Scotland dont have the players but then you see Northern Ireland out performing us over the last 5 years with Josh Magennis on 54 caps. 

24 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Remember when there was talk of Scotland using the residency rule and calling up Didier Agathe, Lorenzo Amoruso and Stefan Klos. I remember Christian Dailly was particularly disgusted by this.... quite liked him until he became a hun

There was a bit of a clamour for this only a year back in the Weegie  press to bring Tavernier into the fold when he became qualified under this rule, which I think he now does. Because he was so shite in the months leading up to last season getting stopped and took a lot of criticism from the sevconian hordes themselves, it all went quiet. But he's started this season well, so fully expect calls for his inclusion to build up, especially if we fail to beat Serbia next month and/or fail to top our Nations League group with O'Donnell getting a game

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There was a bit of a clamour for this only a year back in the Weegie  press to bring Tavernier into the fold when he became qualified under this rule, which I think he now does. Because he was so shite in the months leading up to last season getting stopped and took a lot of criticism from the sevconian hordes themselves, it all went quiet. But he's started this season well, so fully expect calls for his inclusion to build up, especially if we fail to beat Serbia next month and/or fail to top our Nations League group with O'Donnell getting a game

In principle I have no issue with the residency rule if the player has been here for a long time and genuinely considers themselves to be Scottish (as nationality is in the mind, not the blood), however if its just because someone happens to be playing well and fancies some international football, then fuck that. 

15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Tavernier doesn't qualify for scotland. The gentleman's agreement prohibits it. 

So anyone calling for it is a fucking idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Tavernier doesn't qualify for scotland. The gentleman's agreement prohibits it. 

So anyone calling for it is a fucking idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. 

Scotland have capped Karamoko Dembele at youth level despite having not an ounce of Scottish blood in him. He seems to be favouring England (for now....I really think he's too small to really make it with them in future and probably not quite good enough anyway).  I won't be at all surprised to see him switch back to Scotland within 2 years. Which I think proves that the "gentleman's agreement" no longer holds.

Just now, Ten Caat said:

Scotland have capped Karamoko Dembele at youth level despite having not an ounce of Scottish blood in him. He seems to be favouring England (for now....I really think he's too small to really make it with them in future and probably not quite good enough anyway).  I won't be at all surprised to see him switch back to Scotland within 2 years. Which I think proves that the "gentleman's agreement" no longer holds.

Because he qualifies through his schooling. A high profile amendment that was made to the gentleman's agreement.

James Tavernier does not qualify for Scotland. 

27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Because he qualifies through his schooling. A high profile amendment that was made to the gentleman's agreement.

James Tavernier does not qualify for Scotland. 

He qualifies under FIFA rules. Any gentleman's agreement with the home nations' FA's from the past is just that......unenforceable. Personally I'd prefer every player selected for us to have as a minimum one parent born in Scotland but I don't make the rules nor will I ever have to implement them. FWIW I think that Clarke agrees with me and therefore won't select him. But I also don't think that Clarke will be our manager after the World Cup qualifying campaign even if he actually gets us there. I'm not convinced that any future Scotland manager won't take advantage of the rules

EDIT....as for the schooling rule which we have taken advantage of with Dembele and Jordan Rhodes. I'd still rather our players have a Scottish blood lineage. But if the SFA thinks that a player with no bloodline but went to school here for 5 years is more qualified than a player who has lived, played and paid taxes here for 5 years then they are being disingenuous at best. 

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

He qualifies under FIFA rules. Any gentleman's agreement with the home nations' FA's from the past is just that......unenforceable. Personally I'd prefer every player selected for us to have as a minimum one parent born in Scotland but I don't make the rules nor will I ever have to implement them. FWIW I think that Clarke agrees with me and therefore won't select him. But I also don't think that Clarke will be our manager after the World Cup qualifying campaign even if he actually gets us there. I'm not convinced that any future Scotland manager won't take advantage of the rules

EDIT....as for the schooling rule which we have taken advantage of with Dembele and Jordan Rhodes. I'd still rather our players have a Scottish blood lineage. But if the SFA thinks that a player with no bloodline but went to school here for 5 years is more qualified than a player who has lived, played and paid taxes here for 5 years then they are being disingenuous at best. 

Every other country uses residency rules to their advantage. Would be naive not to use them if we are allowed if it makes the team better.

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

He qualifies under FIFA rules. Any gentleman's agreement with the home nations' FA's from the past is just that......unenforceable.

Not sure that's true. It's a series of agreements, ratified by FIFA, that all 4 "home nations" have signed up to. I'm not sure we can unilaterally ignore it and if we did, we'd open up the possibility of England just taking any of our players that they like. 

James Tavernier is not eligible for Scotland.