The Mckenna Dilemma

10 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

What's the gentleman's agreement?

Technically every player born within the UK has the right to play for any UK country if he so chooses. FIFA and UEFA didn't like it but they couldn't stop it had it happened. For the majority of the time, no one abused it though...the home countries wouldn't pick anyone without a bloodline beyond a grandparent.   It came to a head with Matt le Tissier who was born in Guernsey. Guernsey is not part of England or any other UK country so Le Tissier could have chosen legitimately to represent any of the 4 countries England selected him, but the anomaly was highlighted. The 4 home nations then came to a "gentleman's agreement" that they wouldn't select players born in another UK country without having that bloodline...it was only semi-formalising a convention that had been in place for decades. The FIFA ruling on residency supercedes it in law

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

Every other country uses residency rules to their advantage. Would be naive not to use them if we are allowed if it makes the team better.

Harder to get folk interested in Scotland if the players aren't actually Scottish though.  It's kinda the whole point. At least 1 parent should be Scottish i think. 

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Under your rules, the German professor with a Danish wife who got a job at St Andrews University and one of the children was born in Scotland, grew up here and lived nowhere else would be ineligible for selection.

Obviously they would be eligible because they were born in Scotland.  I meant someone being born elsewhere but only qualifying through a grandparent or because their parents moved here. 

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

We should pick the best players that the rules allow for.

Angus Gunn what an arse he is making of his career. He should be binning his agent.

Gunn, for example, should be the Scotland number 1 with 30 caps. He should be the first pick keeper at an EPL club.

Why is the fact that he cannot keep his place at Southampton the fault of his agent?

5 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Why is the fact that he cannot keep his place at Southampton the fault of his agent?

I think he's good enough to play for a bigger club than Stoke.

He's not even playing for Stoke.

He's a good enough player to be commanding first pick for a decent club and Scotland.

If you don't get the right gig at the right time and suddenly you are Joe Lewis.

6 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He's a good enough player to be commanding first pick for a decent club and Scotland.

If you don't get the right gig at the right time and suddenly you are Joe Lewis.

He was fucking terrible in the 9-0 Leicester game and it looks like he has taken the brunt of the blame.

21 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He bombed at Southampton so realistically he wasnt going to get an upward move. Couldnt get a game so went on loan to Stoke to revitalise his career - now hes lost his place there. Dont see how thats an agents fault.

1 minute ago, dazzy_deff said:

He bombed at Southampton so realistically he wasnt going to get an upward move. Couldnt get a game so went on loan to Stoke to revitalise his career - now hes lost his place there. Dont see how thats an agents fault.

Ok if you settle that it's not his agent's fault yet then some time very soon he has to get him sorted in the right place.

Permanent transfer away from Saints to another club at some point soon.

Anyway just a name that springs to mind in the who plays for Scotland debate. He should be playing for Scotland and not acting the cunt that he thinks he can play for England when he's only a decent goalie.

12 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Ok if you settle that it's not his agent's fault yet then some time very soon he has to get him sorted in the right place.

Permanent transfer away from Saints to another club at some point soon.

Anyway just a name that springs to mind in the who plays for Scotland debate. He should be playing for Scotland and not acting the cunt that he thinks he can play for England when he's only a decent goalie.

Totally agree he got ideas above his station when he was at Man City in rejecting us for England. Needs to concentrate on getting game at club level then realise hes not England material. 

42 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He was absolutely shocking for Southampton!  Terrible keeper!  Would be nowhere near 30 caps for Scotland!

3 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

He was absolutely shocking for Southampton!  Terrible keeper!  Would be nowhere near 30 caps for Scotland!

If he committed to Scotland at aged 16 and never looked back he could easy have a decent number.

30 might be an exaggeration if just games here and there but not if he'd then cemented himself as first pick in one of the games where we are picking mclaughlin, samson, mccrorie etc

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

If he committed to Scotland at aged 16 and never looked back he could easy have a decent number.

30 might be an exaggeration if just games here and there but not if he'd then cemented himself as first pick in one of the games where we are picking mclaughlin, samson, mccrorie etc

He would have cemented nothing!  Have you seen him play?  He's woeful!

6 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

He'd certainly have a cap or 2 but I don't think he's as good as Gordon, McGregor or Marshall

7 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

‘Nah, never heard it put that way before..

usually clubs will hold out for a fee that covers the sell on portion and the profit they are looking for.

Yeah understand that. But there's definitely been cases where it's been a percentage of profit.

I don't think anybody really knows to be honest, yourself included.

30 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Yeah understand that. But there's definitely been cases where it's been a percentage of profit.

I don't think anybody really knows to be honest, yourself included.

You asked what was normal and inferred it was a percentage of profit.

I suggest that whilst there may be exceptions to the norm, percentage of profit is not the norm with regards to sell on fee's

On 10/22/2020 at 5:24 PM, Tord31 said:

He was born in England and represented them from U16s through to U21s. Why is he a cunt for choosing England? 

McGeady and McCarthy are cunts for picking Ireland over Scotland despite being born here. Can't blame someone for choosing the country they were born and brought up in. 

12 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Ok I'll bow to your superior Football Manager knowledge 

LOL, I'll bite my tongue.

What is interesting is that there are signs that clubs are looking at ways of circumnavigating the sell on fee. As an example, Aaron Hickey at Hearts had a rumoured 30% sell on fee to go to Celtic. With a year left on his contract, the rumour was that Hearts were trying to negotiate a deal which was a huge loan fee for a year, with an agreement to sell a year later for a small fee i.e. £1.9M Loan for a year with a £100k  buy agreement at the end of the loan.

I don't think it worked out that way, but the suggestion was that Hearts were trying to negotiate that way as a way to reduce the money that was to be paid on.

You could see how this would be beneficial to both buying and selling clubs