The Most Excellent Cities In The World

alscotoz

Cities I've enjoyed drinking in. (No order)

Edinburgh,

Glasgow,

Dundee,

Dublin,

Manchester,

Liverpool,

London (lots)

Madrid,

Copenhagen,

Aarhus,

Gothenburg,

Brussels,

Prague,

Munich,

Berlin,

Frankfurt,

Lisbon,

Vancouver,

Cities that were crap to drink in.

Milan. Still got pished and had an ok time, just wouldn't recommend it.

You just keep saying that I'm offended, when I've said nothing of the sort. You incapable of thinking up any other patter?

Anyway, favourite places I've visited (in no particular order):

- Barcelona

- Berlin

- New York

- Paris

- Venice

- Rome

- Toronto

Places I'm nae so keen on:

- Edinburgh

- Marseille

- Milan

Looking forward to visiting the Basque Country in a couple of months.

Edit:

I should add London as a top place. Forgot since I'm there every week.

Gads. Won't lie but had you down as more than that parkie. These for repeat visits or snap snap done that?

The great European capitals are incomparable. I was in paris as a child (maybe 10-12) but never felt the draw to go back as an adult, even if I would like to visit (eg) Notre Dame.

Amsterdam, Berlin, Budapest, Rome. I would be quite happy to flit around these forever.

Hamburg is a great city too, everyone should experience a reeperbahn piss up.. Dublin grossly over-rated imo. Ambivalent about London really and I don't really think Edinburgh and Glasgow - for all their positives - really merit mention in the same breath as Eternal Rome, for example (I mean, FFS).

I like places with a lot of history and organic development, if a place has no significant history, its like someone has built a flat-pack city out of B&Q or something. You want to be able to see repaired damage from small arms fire on the buildings, like in parts of Berlin.

I agree that Russia is alluring. Imagine visiting Volvograd (Stalingrad).

I don't know what you mean?

Well dunno it's just a predictable list. There's great bits in those but generally they aren't even the best in their country. Obviously depending on what you're looking for.

Venice though to me is the definition of a single serving destination. That's not to say that cutting about mestre etc isn't great but Venice is too much concentrated tourist shit.

Sitting in the square watching films on your own deck chairs in Bologna drinking with people. The vibe of there is great. Rather than folk looking at their phones trying to find the least shit tourist food instead of having fun.

The great European capitals are incomparable. I was in paris as a child (maybe 10-12) but never felt the draw to go back as an adult, even if I would like to visit (eg) Notre Dame.

Amsterdam, Berlin, Budapest, Rome. I would be quite happy to flit around these forever.

Hamburg is a great city too, everyone should experience a reeperbahn piss up.. Dublin grossly over-rated imo. Ambivalent about London really and I don't really think Edinburgh and Glasgow - for all their positives - really merit mention in the same breath as Eternal Rome, for example (I mean, FFS).

I like places with a lot of history and organic development, if a place has no significant history, its like someone has built a flat-pack city out of B&Q or something. You want to be able to see repaired damage from small arms fire on the buildings, like in parts of Berlin.

I agree that Russia is alluring. Imagine visiting Volvograd (Stalingrad).

When I saw that you had commented I 100% knew you would be recommending Rome!

Is getting chased out a German wank booth shop by an irate cleaner wielding a sperm dripping mop classed as culture?

If so, I'm all over that culture shit.

The boy mops spunk all day so why he took such offence to my urine, I guess I'll never know.

I think he was more offended by your choice of company. At least I had the decency to wait outside. Pished, having breakfasted on a kebab.

Well dunno it's just a predictable list. There's great bits in those but generally they aren't even the best in their country. Obviously depending on what you're looking for.

Venice though to me is the definition of a single serving destination. That's not to say that cutting about mestre etc isn't great but Venice is too much concentrated tourist shit.

Sitting in the square watching films on your own deck chairs in Bologna drinking with people. The vibe of there is great. Rather than folk looking at their phones trying to find the least shit tourist food instead of having fun.

Can see why someone wouldn't like Venice. It's definitely a place that's pretty much solely for tourists nowadays. To me though, it's magical. Utterly unique. Definitely not somewhere you'd keep returning to but walking around the quiet back streets of Cannaregio of an evening and jumping in to a wee chicetti bar or a Jewish restaurant, away from the tourists is a great way to spend an evening.

I guess we'll always judge places by the experiences WE have there and the few days I spent in Venice with my Mrs the first time I went, were some of the best I've ever had.

• Downvote 1

Basically agree it's great to see and unlike anywhere else. Also really enjoyed it, to see it once.

It's probably a bit extreme to be down on it though it's just not somewhere I'd like to spend more than a couple of days seeing.

Where as somewhere like Lisbon or Krakow you can go back over and over and see different things soak in the place sorta. Obviously Modena is very nice too so is Florence and Bologna, but Genoa is actually probably the biggest surprise though. Didn't expect much there but it is a magic place.

Can see why someone wouldn't like Venice. It's definitely a place that's pretty much solely for tourists nowadays. To me though, it's magical. Utterly unique. Definitely not somewhere you'd keep returning to but walking around the quiet back streets of Cannaregio of an evening and jumping in to a wee chicetti bar or a Jewish restaurant, away from the tourists is a great way to spend an evening.

I guess we'll always judge places by the experiences WE have there and the few days I spent in Venice with my Mrs the first time I went, were some of the best I've ever had.

I can, the place smells like a sewer.

Basically agree it's great to see and unlike anywhere else. Also really enjoyed it, to see it once.

It's probably a bit extreme to be down on it though it's just not somewhere I'd like to spend more than a couple of days seeing.

Where as somewhere like Lisbon or Krakow you can go back over and over and see different things soak in the place sorta. Obviously Modena is very nice too so is Florence and Bologna, but Genoa is actually probably the biggest surprise though. Didn't expect much there but it is a magic place.

I'm Actually hoping to go to Genoa next season for a derby Della lanterna.

Looks pretty special, even by Italian standards.

Lolz

I liked how it had to be a 'Jewish restaurant' he mentioned - not just a 'restaurant'

Cannaregio is the Jewish quarter ffs.

Not trying to be pretentious at all. Future holiday reports will include the price of pints and quality of the class A's, if that's what the people want ?

Cannaregio is the Jewish quarter ffs.

Not trying to be pretentious at all. Future holiday reports will include the price of pints and quality of the class A's, if that's what the people want ?

Fuck the class a's, ease of scoring a couple of grams of weed without getting stabbed is of more importance.

Edit to say I'm surprised at you financially supporting Zionism