Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

20 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I've always thought this too.

Seen the likes of Motherwell do it quite regularly recently and often wonder why can't we? Probably doesn't apply as much this season but last season when we'd give Markanday and the likes a few minutes off the bench, why not our own? Surely makes more sense giving limited minutes to an academy product than a loanee we have no intention of signing.

I remember hearing that was the intention. Tbf we’ve had less loan signings this season…. But not much sighting of youngsters. 

its a shame we lost a very long record of always having a home grown player in the team. Especially when those in the team at a home grown players expense have likely been shite

57 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I remember hearing that was the intention. Tbf we’ve had less loan signings this season…. But not much sighting of youngsters. 

its a shame we lost a very long record of always having a home grown player in the team. Especially when those in the team at a home grown players expense have likely been shite

That's the biggest annoyance. Makes no sense to persist with players that aren't ours and aren't performing or we don't see as having a future rather than giving some young players a chance.

I can live with finding out the hard way that some of our academy players aren't up to it, rather that than not give them a chance at all.

6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Never too young to get a taste of first team football, especially if we end up with a few dead rubbers (wishful thinking maybe) 

Ability wise I agree - however, most 16 year olds are not physically ready to play in the first team. But getting them a bit of experience in order to encourage them to stay makes sense.

8 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Ability wise I agree - however, most 16 year olds are not physically ready to play in the first team. But getting them a bit of experience in order to encourage them to stay makes sense.

Physically none of the 16 year olds are anywhere near first team level at Aberdeen. Lennon miller at Motherwell was physically miles ahead of everyone else at his age group imo. So agree with you. Thing is at Aberdeen fuck all to play for now so why not do it anyway 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, RUL said:

Physically none of the 16 year olds are anywhere near first team level at Aberdeen. Lennon miller at Motherwell was physically miles ahead of everyone else at his age group imo. So agree with you. Thing is at Aberdeen fuck all to play for now so why not do it anyway 

Who would you think deserves their chance most? 
I don’t really see or hear too much about the young team now.

The odd snippet from a match report, REDTV used to show highlights of their matches but don’t any more. 

23 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

It’s sad how quick some are to rubbish ‘some’ players (at most clubs) especially as some really don’t really mature/come on to their best games until much varied ages in various positions. 
Far too many want the finished article instantly. 

Biggest problem at Aberdeen is (that you don’t see at bigger clubs) is that we never have enough quality in rest of team/experienced players to properly allow young players to make the mistakes they are almost guaranteed to be making/learning from.

We aren’t good enough to be brave/able enough to risk ‘learning’ players (from start especially) v teams we really ‘should’ be beating easily. 

That’s the fault of the board/recruitment team but is always blamed on managers 

I was going to reply specifcally then seen who posted

So didn't bother

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Who would you think deserves their chance most? 
I don’t really see or hear too much about the young team now.

The odd snippet from a match report, REDTV used to show highlights of their matches but don’t any more. 

Alfie Bavidge is definitely worth a start if he could be recalled. After that, the stand out technically is Fletcher Boyd. 

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hopefully all back for cup final then.

Sure most of them if not all will play in final. Having so many out on loan has meant lot of younger lads getting game time this season so have been some blips with results but all good development experience for them

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Has Gavin Levey ever been replaced?

I’m not sure but we brought in a guy whose name escapes me who worked with performance school. I think he’s been covering the role but don’t think I’ve seen any formal announcement.

3 minutes ago, RUL said:

I’m not sure but we brought in a guy whose name escapes me who worked with performance school. I think he’s been covering the role but don’t think I’ve seen any formal announcement.

Pocklington I hear is a decent wee player? 

27 minutes ago, RUL said:

Stuart Glennie

8 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Good result against league toppers Killie. I do wish AFC would put up the reserve league table on their website though (it might actually be there, but I can’t bloody find it). 

U18s league I assume you mean?

44 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Bavidge up to it then? 

Was shocking against Locos I thought. 

What ? You didn't like Alfie's goal out of nothing ? In the back of the net before the goalie could move. 

We lost that game due to mistakes at the back. Our centre backs were bullied by Locos and if anybody was " shocking " it was them, not Bavidge.