Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

On 3/31/2024 at 9:51 PM, aberdeen1970 said:

We need to get Alfie in and around the team. 

Other clubs manage to get young players into their teams, no reason why we can't.  Nae point loaning him out til his contract ends then watching him leave on compensation. 

We need to be a bit braver as a club with young players and show them a bit of patience as supporters (which we are terrible at most of the time) 

The ones that are good get patience 

On 3/31/2024 at 6:15 PM, RDS said:

Can only guess club would be happy with what they've done. At 18 they may well get put out again but hopefully new manager gives them a chance. Often experience and then a chance is what these young lads need eg Finn Yeats at Falkirk who we let go at 17/18 Yr old played vast majority of games this season. Still only 19 and doing great at that level but who knows if he'd have kicked on to our level if given the chance. Think he's cousin of Lewis Carrol who'll hopefully sign a pro contract with us but well documented some bigger clubs tracking him

Indeed they are cousins. Warren Cummings is their uncle so good footballing pedigree.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:19 AM, Millertime said:

The ones that are good get patience 

Lies. You always find other ways to moan. 
especially if they have two ‘poor’ games in a row or make a couple of costly mistakes. Any patience you proclaim to have for them evaporates quicker than spit on Capri on a hot day

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Seen Boyd a fair few times now, both at under 18s level and under 15s.

Incredible player and will make it very far in football 

Has or can he sign an extension to make sure he doesn’t get poached?

or has he not signed his first professional contract yet?.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:51 PM, aberdeen1970 said:

We need to get Alfie in and around the team. 

Other clubs manage to get young players into their teams, no reason why we can't.  Nae point loaning him out til his contract ends then watching him leave on compensation. 

We need to be a bit braver as a club with young players and show them a bit of patience as supporters (which we are terrible at most of the time) 

Michael Rose should have been given more games by Aberdeen. But other than that I’m struggling to think of any who looked good enough and should have got more. 

generally I think the support are fairly patient with our own players coming into the team. But after a few months when you know they are more Ryan Duncan than Ryan Fraser then it’s hard not to give them the same tough treatment as any other player gets. 

45 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Michael Rose should have been given more games by Aberdeen. But other than that I’m struggling to think of any who looked good enough and should have got more. 

generally I think the support are fairly patient with our own players coming into the team. But after a few months when you know they are more Ryan Duncan than Ryan Fraser then it’s hard not to give them the same tough treatment as any other player gets. 

It’s sad how quick some are to rubbish ‘some’ players (at most clubs) especially as some really don’t really mature/come on to their best games until much varied ages in various positions. 
Far too many want the finished article instantly. 

Biggest problem at Aberdeen is (that you don’t see at bigger clubs) is that we never have enough quality in rest of team/experienced players to properly allow young players to make the mistakes they are almost guaranteed to be making/learning from.

We aren’t good enough to be brave/able enough to risk ‘learning’ players (from start especially) v teams we really ‘should’ be beating easily. 

That’s the fault of the board/recruitment team but is always blamed on managers 

10 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The only thing worth looking forward to in this league season is the possibility we get away from trouble soonish and we maybe see one or two of these lads in a first team shirt before season end. 

I'd assume that most of these young lads are probably too young to step into the first team at the moment? Those that watch the games will maybe be able to confirm? The ones old enough to play a part are the ones out on loan like Bavidge and maybe Marshall. If they're real prospects like Boyd and Caroll seem to be it would be good to get them in and around the first team squad and maybe on the bench at least just so they can see how highly valued they are - might help retain them when bigger clubs come sniffing again.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'd assume that most of these young lads are probably too young to step into the first team at the moment? Those that watch the games will maybe be able to confirm? The ones old enough to play a part are the ones out on loan like Bavidge and maybe Marshall. If they're real prospects like Boyd and Caroll seem to be it would be good to get them in and around the first team squad and maybe on the bench at least just so they can see how highly valued they are - might help retain them when bigger clubs come sniffing again.

Never too young to get a taste of first team football, especially if we end up with a few dead rubbers (wishful thinking maybe) 

10 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Part of the reason they signed new deals was exposure to the first team. I’d definitely expect 1 or 2 to appear on bench before the season is finished. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Never too young to get a taste of first team football, especially if we end up with a few dead rubbers (wishful thinking maybe) 

I've always thought this too.

Seen the likes of Motherwell do it quite regularly recently and often wonder why can't we? Probably doesn't apply as much this season but last season when we'd give Markanday and the likes a few minutes off the bench, why not our own? Surely makes more sense giving limited minutes to an academy product than a loanee we have no intention of signing.

10 minutes ago, slippers said:

Part of the reason they signed new deals was exposure to the first team. I’d definitely expect 1 or 2 to appear on bench before the season is finished. 

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Black, Cooper, Hewitt, Simpson.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

I've always thought this too.

Seen the likes of Motherwell do it quite regularly recently and often wonder why can't we? Probably doesn't apply as much this season but last season when we'd give Markanday and the likes a few minutes off the bench, why not our own? Surely makes more sense giving limited minutes to an academy product than a loanee we have no intention of signing.

That for me has been a big issue for years. Taking really promising talents and given them a platform in our first team. The difference to us and Motherwell is the expectations though. That’s why we need to get a manager that believes in giving youth a chance. Look at Duncan for example another 1 with really good potential but he’s not going to make it here. Spent too long on bench in his most important development years.