Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

1 minute ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Two goals for Bavidge against Edinburgh City today, one of which was a pen.  That's 9 goals and 2 assists for the season.  Hopefully he's benefiting from the loan and continues to develop. 

Marshall was in the City team.  Must be tough playing in a team that have only gathered 5 points all season and are expected to lose every week.  That's the kind of gig people refer to as character building.  

Anyone know if the club are happy with their progress and likelihood of getting near the first team next season or if they need another season loaned out, maybe at Championship level?

I think Bavidge is a class act. 

Hope he breaks through at Aberdeen next season. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Two goals for Bavidge against Edinburgh City today, one of which was a pen.  That's 9 goals and 2 assists for the season.  Hopefully he's benefiting from the loan and continues to develop. 

Marshall was in the City team.  Must be tough playing in a team that have only gathered 5 points all season and are expected to lose every week.  That's the kind of gig people refer to as character building.  

Anyone know if the club are happy with their progress and likelihood of getting near the first team next season or if they need another season loaned out, maybe at Championship level?

Can only guess club would be happy with what they've done. At 18 they may well get put out again but hopefully new manager gives them a chance. Often experience and then a chance is what these young lads need eg Finn Yeats at Falkirk who we let go at 17/18 Yr old played vast majority of games this season. Still only 19 and doing great at that level but who knows if he'd have kicked on to our level if given the chance. Think he's cousin of Lewis Carrol who'll hopefully sign a pro contract with us but well documented some bigger clubs tracking him

21 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Said it a few times on here but I liked what I saw of Marshall in pre-season games. Doesn't seem to be one who is content with coming in and making a few touches, wants to impact the game. Anyone else able to shed light on whether he has a chance of making it with us?

Just now, Sheeptastic said:

Said it a few times on here but I liked what I saw of Marshall in pre-season games. Doesn't seem to be one who is content with coming in and making a few touches, wants to impact the game. Anyone else able to shed light on whether he has a chance of making it with us?

Yep

Like look of him too

11 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Going to be very difficult I think. A decent player but not top level probably. Bavidge is and will surely be in first team next season. Lewis Carroll signed a professional contract 

29 minutes ago, RUL said:

Lewis Carroll signed a professional contract 

Any word of others who've been offered or already signed first pro contracts yet. I liked look of Zak To but haven't seen any U16s for a while to see how he's been since leg break

36 minutes ago, RUL said:

Going to be very difficult I think. A decent player but not top level probably. Bavidge is and will surely be in first team next season. Lewis Carroll signed a professional contract 

Crazy shit that the club didn’t make some kind of announcement to that effect?

Hopefully Fletcher Boyd follows suit

2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Agree but suppose they generally wait until they've everyone signed and do something with media release for the few chosen lads

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

Will Bavidge be the number 9 next season? Unlikely I’d have thought, this seasons Sokler role maybe 

5 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Will Bavidge be the number 9 next season? Unlikely I’d have thought, this seasons Sokler role maybe 

Solker minutes isn’t enough. If that’s the case get him loaned out again. I get that we want to give them a chance but he needs to be playing pretty regular at his age or it will just be another Ryan Duncan or cammy smith. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, slippers said:

Solker minutes isn’t enough. If that’s the case get him loaned out again. I get that we want to give them a chance but he needs to be playing pretty regular at his age or it will just be another Ryan Duncan or cammy smith. 

Ryan Duncan a funny one as he was an integral part at times of the 7 in a row Robson side last year, hasn’t really happened for him since 

30 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Ryan Duncan a funny one as he was an integral part at times of the 7 in a row Robson side last year, hasn’t really happened for him since 

Natural winger isn't he too? Never been given a run in the team in his 'natural' position either

We need to get Alfie in and around the team. 

Other clubs manage to get young players into their teams, no reason why we can't.  Nae point loaning him out til his contract ends then watching him leave on compensation. 

We need to be a bit braver as a club with young players and show them a bit of patience as supporters (which we are terrible at most of the time) 

• Upvote 2
On 3/30/2024 at 4:38 PM, RabidGiraffe said:

Haven’t seen many signs of players benefiting from such ‘character building’ opportunities in the current first team given similar situation 🤔

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Fletcher and Lewis have both signed professional contracts. It’ll be announced in summer as usual.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, starryfish said:

I don’t know but he will defo be in first 18 every week. Bav is quality imo.

3 hours ago, milne_afc said:

That’s good to hear. He’s the Portsoy lad who was getting a bit of attention from the guffy leagues?

Yeah. He’s very good. Transition to first team will be tough though.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, RDS said:

Any word of others who've been offered or already signed first pro contracts yet. I liked look of Zak To but haven't seen any U16s for a while to see how he's been since leg break

Not sure. Think he had something but he difficult an after bad injury. Think all the u16s playing up with u18s currently will get contracts. 

8 minutes ago, RUL said:

Fletcher and Lewis have both signed professional contracts. It’ll be announced in summer as usual.

Fantastic news as based off what I've read (largely yourself and Soot_stander they are meant to be quality prospects for us

Refreshing to see guys commit to us rather than go down south to go for the big bucks relatively speaking